Hows your xbow stitching holding out?

forum for kitesurfers

wallyman
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Hows your xbow stitching holding out?

Postby wallyman » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:32 am

Over the last 12 months I have owned two 12m xbows and on both of them the stitching at the join on the main bladder has given way.
One the first one it happened at around the 20th time out, the second was around the 12th time. My friend has just bought a new Contra 14m and the stitching has given away in 2 places on the main tube after about 8 sessions. One of the areas had the bladder hanging out when he got to shore. It appears to be a fairly consistant flaw in the quality of stitching used and no improvement has been made over last years model. I dont understand why these manufacturers cant use a bit heavier thread for these important joins. Something like what is used on the Fuels would save alot of repairs. Anyone else experienced this problem with their xbow?

kruzlifix
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Baleia, Ceara, Brazil
Style: wave and HF
Gear: AHC, Firewire, Levitaz, Moses, Cabrinha, Flysurfer

Postby kruzlifix » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:10 am

hi there
I thought I just had bad luck, but obviously this problem is more common!
both my contras, 14 and 17m have problems with the stitching at the fronttube. one time the stitching came appart and the bladder exploded while the kite was lying on the ground only being used once before. the stitching comes always apart where the thread crosses the sharp edges of the folded canopy.
I think Cabrinha should find a solution to improve their stitching at the frontube!

Andreas
Attachments
contra14.jpg
contra14.jpg (59.53 KiB) Viewed 3515 times

prep
Frequent Poster

Postby prep » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:27 am

my friends 12xbow has the stiching coming apart along some of the struts and the LE. although he does keep the struts pumped up almost all the time. the kite is about 8months old.

dwarf
Frequent Poster

Postby dwarf » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:29 am

:o

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:49 am

Man what you guys doing with your kites!!! :o

Have to say nothing like that happening with mine or friends ones! Even that dude I saw dragging his kite along the sand for 200m is in still one piece?

Must be that eye eating bacteria geting on the stitching!! :wink:

Scallywag33
Medium Poster

switch blade

Postby Scallywag33 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:51 am

I have a 16,12 and a 9 and have never had a problem with construction. now that I've said that every seam well pop. The quality has been good for me.

I am pretty hard on the 16 and the 12, with the 12 getting the most use.
Is the kite being dragged on those spots? On my 16 the words on the front are fadded and partially missing but that is from dragging it around. its like anything else maybe a few bad ones get out.

wallyman
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby wallyman » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:38 pm

I always look after my kites, never drag them anywhere and they rarely hit the water. The seam that comes undone is not on the leading edge therefore is protected even if the kite were to hit the ground or be dragged. There are no signs of wear just inferior quality polyester thread.

kruzlifix
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Baleia, Ceara, Brazil
Style: wave and HF
Gear: AHC, Firewire, Levitaz, Moses, Cabrinha, Flysurfer

Postby kruzlifix » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:33 pm

wallyman wrote: There are no signs of wear just inferior quality polyester thread.
what do you mean by "just inferior polyester thread?
so far I owned 9 cab bowkites and on 3 of them some stitching had to be redone at the leading edge.... makes one third and I am not treating my kites that badly, even so sometimes my mates call me "kitekiller"....
andreas

wm
Medium Poster

Postby wm » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:26 pm

Man what you guys doing with your kites!!!
The men are riding with their kites, not like many others having a quiver of them, not riding them and stating this is smth. extraordinary. The one who doesn't ride will always have his kite look new.

What we can see on the picture is quite normal for a Cabrinha kite because cabrinha quality is the lowest of anything I saw. All our guys who have Cab. and ride once a month have their kites in excelent cond. Those who use them every windy day repair their stitching, gluing bladders.....all that lasts since 2000 here non stop.
In the latest accident with X-bow 06 1 year used a full canopy window blew out when it was in the air without any water or land crash.

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:48 pm

wm wrote:
The men are riding with their kites, not like many others having a quiver of them, not riding them and stating this is smth. extraordinary. The one who doesn't ride will always have his kite look new.

What we can see on the picture is quite normal for a Cabrinha kite because cabrinha quality is the lowest of anything I saw. All our guys who have Cab. and ride once a month have their kites in excelent cond. Those who use them every windy day repair their stitching, gluing bladders.....all that lasts since 2000 here non stop.
In the latest accident with X-bow 06 1 year used a full canopy window blew out when it was in the air without any water or land crash.
Got to wonder what guys do to their kites, have to say haven't seen anything like that. Most of the kites, regardless of brand get used about 2 -3 times a week once the windy season comes around. However most riders also make sure the correct amount of air pressure is used also. I suppose if some riders increase the pressure too much then such damage might occur! :cry:

Return to “Kitesurfing”