abdominals muscle strain

forum for kitesurfers

martin blum
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

abdominals muscle strain

Postby martin blum » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:36 pm

The last two years I have developed such a strong muscle pain in the lower abdominals region, which derived from jumping, that I had to take a break of more than 3 days until the pain disappeared.
I have a seat harness and worried that the straps creating pressure are the cause of the muscle strain. Has anybody had a similar experience and managed to solve this happening?

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:53 pm

You might have some kind of mild herniation starting up. Worth checking with your doctor.

clydesdale
Frequent Poster

Postby clydesdale » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:57 pm

could be start of a hernia

or u just need to do more sits ups and specifically lower abdominal lifts
http://www.e-weightloss-fitness.com/abd ... t_1307.JPG

i had same problem when i had ridden and not worked out for long time and pulled an ab muscle pulling my knees up during a long session of jumping. time off and strengthening will provide a fix

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:45 am

Be carefull this does not get worse.

Lower abdominal lifts will be good, but if you have some damage start with a low impact abdominal exercise.

Laying on your back with your hands palm down on the floor near your hips.
Lift your head tucking your chin into your chest.
(high and central abs will be worked here)
Then with your chin still tucked into your chest push down with your palms on the floor.
(This will spread the worked area out. The work will spread to your more lateral abs and deeper towards your lower abdomen)
Do plenty of repetitions. As you gain strength curl your upper back in a bit and press harder into your palms.
As you gain more strenght add to the two previous elements by raising your legs a bit. Start with one leg at a time with the knee bent a bit. Then the other leg. Then both together. As you get stronger lift the legs in a straighter possition.
Don't use a lot of force. The idea is to build a sort of contuiguous strenght rather than a bumby six pack. Do more repetitions more than brute force.

Going back to lower abdominal lifts do them with your legs bent a bit and work on lifting the thighs. To increase the workout add some anckle weights rather than kicking up your legs in an extended position.

Last thing don't do either of these exercises with swinging motions or abrupt kicking movements. Do them with slow firm movements. Also don't do long sessions of lower ab lifts without having stretched and warmed up your shoulder area. The machine puts the full load on your shoulders and the rotator cuff muscles are put under a fair amount of pressure.

After long sessions take a bath in hot water with one or two cups full of baking soda disolved in the water. It helps disperse the lactic acid buildup.
When you are done with the hot, and I mean really hot bath rub Naga Champs Oil into your abs and any other sore muscles. Naga Champa Oil is very good for well worked muscles. It also smells great.

Treating the area that hurts with 70% DMSO might helps. DMSO can irritate the skin so try a little first. Some irritation is normal with a slight pinching feeling. DMSO is only available when labeled as a solvent here in the US, but widely available as a medicinal in Europe and elsewhere.

Check with a doctor or two and see what their thoughts on this are.

Cheers

Fred
Last edited by FredBGG on Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

tungsten222
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tungsten222 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:16 am

original message expired
Last edited by tungsten222 on Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:34 am

Good point. I'll go back and edit the post.

The intention of the my posting is to share what worked for me after doing my own reaserch and getting better myself.

Regarding DMSO it has pretty impressive properties and has been used by proffesional athletes to solve nasty problems like damaged shoulder muscles etc.

DMSO is a contovertial medication. Here in the USA it is practically banned by the FDA, but if you look into the reasons they are more econmomical, lobbie based and un scientific. DMSO being abundant in nature cannot be turned into a high cost drug so the drug companies that pretty much fund the FDA are not interested in it's wide spread adoption.

Anyway anyone who reads my threads should seek proffesional advice and do their own reaserch especially regarding new and alternative therapies. Incidently DMSO is quite an old therapy.

Cheers

TheRussian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: Sidi Kaouki & Gwithian
Style: Powered
Gear: Chrono2, Edges, Parks, Reos,
Surfboards, Nomad/TAD Mutants & Zeeko Hydrofoil
Location: bad food, worse weather, Mary-fucking Poppins. London!

Postby TheRussian » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:19 am

rather than detailed diagnosis, treatment, prognosis, etc..... more likely you just need to do some sit-ups and/or crunches regularly - 1000 a day should sort it - but if it looks like parts of your guts are popping out you may have a hernia :D

Biorno
Rare Poster

Postby Biorno » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:30 am

TheRussian wrote:rather than detailed diagnosis, treatment, prognosis, etc..... more likely you just need to do some sit-ups and/or crunches regularly - 1000 a day should sort it - but if it looks like parts of your guts are popping out you may have a hernia :D
No matter how many situps or crunches I'll do I always get extremely training ache in my lower abs after a session with a lot of jumping...

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Eduardo » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:57 pm

Frequent jumps with lifting/tucking legs is big on the abs and I've felt your pain. Solution for me was more abs workouts and also work on different moves. For me, the big-air jump is the toughest on abs...

Return to “Kitesurfing”