Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Question on first kite.. 07 models/winter purchase?

forum for kitesurfers

EstorilM
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Question on first kite.. 07 models/winter purchase?

Postby EstorilM » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:15 pm

Hey guys what's up? So I've been doing trick kite stuff for a while (french connection if you're familiar) and the parents just moved to sunset beach in NC, the house is at this point where there's a protected lagoon area separated by this inlet from the ocean (between the intercoastal and the ocean) looks like a perfect spot for kite surfing if you ask me (it's actually huge and VERY shallow, the entire bay turns almost goes away at low tide) and I can walk there in 1 minute. Anyways, I'm generally physically fit with upper/core stuff and balance - and have a good concept of kite control, wind window, power zones, etc (from the trick stuff.)

Would it be jumping the gun if I lay down for an 07 Liquid Force Assault 2? (I'm about 167lb/6' and the average wind is around 8kts might go up to 15 - I'm thinking a 16m would be the best option?) I just dont know what style I'll be into so I'm not sure what board to pick. That kite has 100% depower though so it should be almost perfect for that wind range, though it might be a little slower to turn I guess?

I know you're probably sick of the noobs, but I've been into similar stuff for a while and I'm psyched about this. I live in Northern Virginia but this would be a good excuse to get out to the beach house a little more.

I found an LF assault 2 for $899 (16m, complete..!!) but it makes me wonder if it's going to turn into a joke when the 08 stuff comes out. I know it's a great piece of equipment, it's received great reviews, sounds very safe, and seems to have an awesome wind range. It also seems like an easy kite for a beginner (really good water relaunch) yet has performance I can grow into as well.

Since I'm starting from scratch I'd like to keep the costs down on the kite (within reason) but if you can beat 900 complete for a new kite, let me know if you've got some other ideas for me.

Thanks for the help! It's nice to find a place like this - and I'm glad I'm about to take the dive into it, trick kites aren't what they used to be... and going through the power zone I almost WANT the kite to have more pull (usually a bad attribute) I love getting yanked off the ground going across the window.

AdrenalinDriven
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: Those dangerous C shaped ones

Postby AdrenalinDriven » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:38 pm

Well you're going to hear this a million times when people reply to your thread but here goes - you NEED to get lessons. Since the house you'll be riding at is in NC maybe you can make a little trip out to Hatteras island and take a Realkiteboarding beginners clinic.

Now, to your question. Kites are completely a preference thing and you should demo a few before you go and drop $900 on something you've never used before, especially when you haven't even started kiteboarding yet. Alot of people tend to stick to what they've learned on so if when you take your lessons, you like the kite they use and thats what you're comfortable with , you should maybe stick with that. You're going to need a board too clearly, so may just want to go on a second hand site and pick up a cheap beginner board as you will grow out of it quite fast and then never really need to use it again. Go for something pretty big as your first board. Example: Cabrinha Prodigy 148x40

Anyways, good luck to you. And one more time - don't be a kook, take lessons. And share the stoke, because if you ask any one person on this entire forum, they will tell you that kiteboarding changed their life. Best wind to you.

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Blade, Axis, NP Surf, Liquid Force, Ozone, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:15 pm

generally riders your size should start out with closer to a 12m for your first kite and a larger board. a 16m has a ton of pull and in the hands of new riders, it will kick your butt if the winds pick up even a little. you kind of need to earn your stripes to get a 16m.

taking a lesson is great advice and if you get a 12m, then you can work up to a 16m if the winds really are light or go smaller if the winds are stronger. once it's all said and done...3 kites and 2 boards will cover 90% of you riding days.

good luck.

bob
http://www.kiteridersllc.com

EstorilM
Rare Poster

Postby EstorilM » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:59 am

Thanks for the advice guys, I actually went out and had a lesson today ("phase 1" kinda thing..) but caught on really quick, the winds were strange - dead calm, fog over the water, then the sun came out.. then a storm came, winds shot up to 20+ and it poured..

I got some practice with a flexifoil 3.5 power kite, it pulled pretty damn good actually - it's more similar to the trick kites than I thought, you can snap out of a turn and pull across the window ~2' off and stay really steady.

We had a flexifoil ion 2 14.5 out which he played around with for a while.. that brings me to my next question, kites..

He's got some crazy deals on the flexifoils (06 / 07) used and new.. basic bar setups, but how good is flexifoil in the kitesurfing world? I mean I know they've been around FOREVER (I played with one as a kid like 15 years ago! That was probably the first time I got airborne from a kite actually haha..) they just give me this "old school" kinda vibe for some reason? I wish they spend more time developing specific bridles/attachments and bar setups, just seems like they give you this generic kite to figure out. I know thats fine and all, but it seems like it'd be hard to design/dial in a kit if people are all going to fly it in different configurations.

The biggest thing is that I'll get a lesson for free if I get a kite off his hands this winter.. that's a ~$240 deal right there. He's got an Atom 15 and an Ion 2.. not sure of the prices off hand, I think the atom was like $550, Ion was $900is?

humandrive
Medium Poster

Postby humandrive » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:11 am

I live in the same general area and I have been really happy with my 12m kite. I had the same concern as you about getting a bigger kite for the light wind days but I have gotten the most use out of the 12m.

After I learned to stay upwind, jump, and the like I got a 17.5m kite and let me tell you that thing pulls like a truck. If you don't know exactly what you are doing you are in for a very bad ride.

There are quite a few people that ride in the greater Wilmington area (mostly around Wrightsville beach. I can't say much for the area you are in but it looks like a nice place to go out. Send me a PM if you want any more help/info

Blue Ice
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Hunstanton
Gear: Flexifoil Ion3 7m + 8.5m
FOne Bandit 13m

Postby Blue Ice » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:18 am

Hi bud, As said lessons are a must and you have made the right choice in taking one/two.
Safety is a kitesurfers main concern so knowing all about the wind direction and general water etiquet ie. when passing someone on the water, the person downwind of the person upwind lowers his kite and the person upwind puts his kite higher... things like that etc.

As for the kite, The Ion2 is the king of the Flexifoil kites but its more aimed at intermediates to advanced!
That said, you would most possibly still be ok flying an Ion2 but its less forgiving than an Atom when learning!
The Atom is aimed at beginners to intermediates, the depower is great and the water relaunch is also a sinch!

The size you would need as a 1 kite option would possibly be a 12m Atom or a 12.5m Ion2! The wind range for these 2 kites would be around 15mph -26mph depending on you skilll level!

Hope this helps and good luck out there!

EstorilM
Rare Poster

Postby EstorilM » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:14 am

humandrive - thanks for the heads up, it's nice to know that there's some kinda scene out here. The guy I had that lesson with today goes out with like 9 other guys in this area, so that was really nice to hear (even the same inlet out infront of the house.) I might have to hit you up in the spring or something when I'm down here for a while!

Blueice - it was a huge help, that's for sure.. going from a little 1.5 trainer to the 3.5 flexifoil power kite was awesome.. getting a feel for those slower stronger turns, knowing where in the turns it's gonna pull, etc. It's sorta how I imagined it, and like I said - it was REALLY nice to see that I could get them right down on the bottom of the window without catching anything or crashing at all. I'll ditch the Ion idea then - it's too much for an older generation kite anyways (the one he's getting rid of.. I mean he's got an awesome price on it, but the msrp is still up there.) I was damn impressed with the build quality though.

So I'm throwing in the Royal Era too, good price and amazing reviews from everyone that touches the thing.. might be worth looking at.

The new naish sigma line sounds awesome from every direction - they have a cheaper one aimed at intro-intermediate stuff too, the Code, but no one's got any pricing info on it yet. The next step up (intro-advanced..? from what the naish guys say) is the Cult.. $1399 for a 12 though. :( I guess that's not bad for such a revolutionary design / 08 model.

Return to “Kitesurfing”