Kiteloops are killing me!

forum for kitesurfers

ayrej2
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Kiteloops are killing me!

Postby ayrej2 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:04 pm

So, I've been landing most of my downloops now, well powered and generally loving it the crazy downwind pull you get.

So i figure, time to try kiteloops. So basically I do the exact same I've been doing for the downloops, although obviously pulling the other side of the bar. :lol:

OMG, I launch into orbit. The first part of the loop was insane. Massive height and crazy pull. So all good really! The problem was then dropping like a stone from 20 feet and a stupidly hard landing. I'm just crumpling into a heap and wiping out pretty spectacularly.

Basically, I've been riding along hooked, drift the kite to 11, grab both sides of the bar and pull hard, stop looking at the kite and try to spot a clean bit of water to pop off, hopefully just before the big pull comes in.

After that, I'm not sure what the kites doing, cos I get pulled totally flat and then after that generally I'm looking down at the rapidly approaching water. I guess what I was wondering is should I be making an effort to watch the kite and guide it back to 12 o'clock for some float for landing or just keep pulling like a madman.

I'm not sure my body can handle too many more of these wipeouts!

Thanks

ian c
Very Frequent Poster

__

Postby ian c » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:09 pm

Some older kites are really hard out to kiteloop. You gotta spill some of that twang (or go way higher which is usually not an option at this stage) cos it sounds like there is no way on earth to land the ones you are trying.

See "Trick Guide" on http://www.dvntkiteboarding.com

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:13 pm

Apparently the easy way is to sit down, relax and watch the kite looping.
Attachments
Sickass Kiteloop.jpg
Sickass Kiteloop.jpg (17.28 KiB) Viewed 1819 times

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all

Postby scklandl » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:03 am

how bigs your kite? Big kites >12m suck to learn on it heavy winds

and yes watch your kite, at least until you know its actually 3/4 through the loop and starting to rise again

who really knows whats happening if you dont know what your kites doing!?

I can guess, your landing hard you say (not just fast??) if thats the case your kite needs to come around and rise quicker. put your hands on the very end of the bar.

if you got both hands on one side and its a 12m or smaller youll loop no problem

that is unless you ride slow, ride faster the kite will move faster. tOO many people ride so and have way too much kite in the sky which will generate the torque to get you off the water but not the speed to get it back up.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:16 am

My usual problem in kite loops is accidentally easing off the bar mid way through the loop. I concentrated on pulling the turn harder mid-way through the loop and landed six in a row.

Unfortunately I got brave and went for a more powered loop and the pain of stuffing up is a real disincentive for trying again. :(

WHO
Rare Poster

Postby WHO » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:30 am

Oz Bungy.

Problem easily solved. Do them unhooked. If your kites trimmed right you will have constant power throughout the loop and no opportunity to sheet out halfway through. Will also give you a much better feeling.

Dann
Medium Poster

Postby Dann » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:09 am

When learning them, make sure that instead of loading your edge you steer downwind as your taking off. This will kill alot of the loops power and make learning easier. Also, go out underpowered.

loeuftok
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loeuftok » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:21 am

When learning them, make sure that instead of loading your edge you steer downwind as your taking off. This will kill alot of the loops power and make learning easier. Also, go out underpowered.
What is the point of making kite loops if you are underpowered and going downwind to kill the power of the kite?

I can do kiteloops underpowered, 10s of them...
but I'm still too scared to go for the real one, those that you do with a lot of lift and speed (len10 style)...

couple of years ago, when kite loops appeared, it was a trick of pure courage, and pain was guarrantied.

sissy kiteloops, underpowered, are more the standard now.

ayrej2
Rare Poster

Postby ayrej2 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:16 am

I've been learning them on 10m and 14m, mostly the 10.

I've been going into them with decent speed. To be honest, i have a sneaky suspision I might doing the same as OzBungy and backing off the bar half way round the loop - generally after I apex the jump, look down, and sh*t myself.

and yeah, i started doing them a little underpowered, and generally land them fine. But even then, I guess if I wasn't looping the kite all the way back round to the top, I could probably still ride out the hard landing because they're not from very high.

The aim is to start doing them unhooked but I wanted them nailed hooked in first.

MrBonk
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MrBonk » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:43 am

OzBungy wrote:pain of stuffing up is a real disincentive for trying again. :(
You're not wrong....I started trying backroll kiteloops last season. Christ....I went in so hard a couple of times that I was sure I'd broken my ribs. There's nothing quite like bobbing in the water, seeing stars and wondering if you can take the next breath or not :oops:

The very last one I tried, I had worked my way up to just downwind of a couple of guys fishing in a tinny. I went up for the roll, hauled on the bar and knew I'd overcooked the rotation as soon as the power came on. I over-rotate by about 1/4 roll and went in heavily on my right side. I saw stars and couldn't breathe. While I was floating there, I realised I could hear yelling/yahoo'ing, so I turned around to see what was going on. Both the guys in the tinny were standing up and cheering :roll:

I packed up for the day after that one and went home with a killer headache for my trouble. I haven't bothered with kiteloops again this season :-?

Return to “Kitesurfing”