RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

KITING in The BAHAMAS

Postby RickI » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:46 pm

Stacey Fonas with Best having fun off Spanish Wells. (Photo by AJ Watson, Cross-shore.com)

The Bahamas is an archipelago of islands cast over hundreds of square miles of warm shallow and very clear water. With white sand beaches and good winds at various times of the year it is a natural destination for kiters. Nassau on New Providence Island is a frequent destination and way point for travelers to the Bahamas. Some information about launches, winds, local resources & sights, history and other information follow. A quick look at nearby Spanish Wells is also included.

Continued at:

FULL SIZED IMAGES

THUMBNAIL IMAGES

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:13 pm

Just added several video clips to the piece including a nice shark encounter (OT but sure looks interesting all the same).

ascendkiteboarding
Frequent Poster

Postby ascendkiteboarding » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:41 pm

where did you stay? I'm trying to get a 4 day getaway with the kite oops did I say "kite", I meant to say "Wife".

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:47 pm

The shots in the article were taken in a one day stop on New Providence during a long weekend cruise with RCL. In the past I've just done an Expedia.com search for accommodations and have come up with some good rates on Hog Island (Quality Inn) and in Nassau (Radisson, Cable Beach). Check with AJ, I bet he has lots of ideas.

TheBRD
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TheBRD » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:49 pm

there are tons of places to stay in the bahamas...but the main islands Nassau, Freeport, Abaco, Exuma. You can get anywhere from 5 star to economy hotel rooms. Just google it and im sure a ton of results will come up. I live in the bahamas and there are too m,any to list.
Oh P.S do not come to kitesurf between the months of June-August. THEre is no wind unless a hurricaine hits. OUr windy season goes September-April sometimes may.

ascendkiteboarding
Frequent Poster

Postby ascendkiteboarding » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:59 pm

Great Thanks, I'll plan a trip for October, maybe I get some wind while I'm there.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:03 am

This isn't directly related to kiting but it involves New Providence/Rose Island. Has anyone been to Lost Ocean Hole east of New Providence? If so, what was it like and do you know the approximate location?

I understand it is an 80 ft. diameter marine sink starting at about 40 ft., descending to around 195 ft.

The kiting does look pretty nice along Rose Island a couple of miles east of NP btw. It has lots of sand beaches on the north side and a proposed Ritz?

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style

Postby prayfawind27 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:53 pm

Depending on your budget but rooms could run you anywhere from $60 and up Radisson is no more
In Nassau it’s the Sheraton now not sure what’s the cost,there’s a Marriott and Nassau Beach Hotel on the Cable Beach strip these are hotels where you don’t need transportion for riding if the wind is blowing NW,N,NE(ADVANCE & INTERMINDATE RIDERS) . There are some cheap Motels in town minutes away from Down town Nassau, like Nassau Palm(used to be holiday Inn), Quality Inn, Hilton, etc . If the wind is blowing E,SE,SW then you would need to call a Taxi or for budget folks a bus($1US) to South Beach(ALL LEVELS OF RIDERS) the water is waste deep and the water is flat. All level of riders are welcome here, just jump me a line at prayfawind@coralwave.com if I’m not working I would gladly pick and drop you off from you hotel or boat. Summer time is shit here so unless you control the wind you would be wasting your money.

P.S Hey Rick! why haven't i met you yet :D ??

BigR
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby BigR » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:16 pm

Shuman!

Waz up buddy!

:bye:

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style

Postby prayfawind27 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:35 pm

BigR wrote:Shuman!

Waz up buddy!

:bye:
Everything's shit down here for last 2 weeks and a half the wind was shit
Until today. Got some South wind Dave,Matteo,Robby and I went to Coral Harbour and rode
Down by those Islands to the left and it was an assume session 14knots until you got in front of those little island where you got swallow, butter flat, crystal clear water and thermals pushing it up to 17 plus Knots Dave and Matteo was on there 16m Thruster, I was on the 16m Flow SLE and Robby was on this 11 Waroo, Dave and I even saw 2 sharks fucking they was so busy doing it that they didn’t even care that we was riding inches away from them , it was funny. When are you going to be in town?

Return to “Kitesurfing”