OR SLE Bar

forum for kitesurfers

ed257
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

OR SLE Bar

Postby ed257 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:56 am

Did anyone get the 2007 OR SLE bar yet? I am looking for some feedback on how you like it. Any issues or concerns?

Thanks,

Ed

Wind Breaker
Frequent Poster

Postby Wind Breaker » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:44 am

I got it about a month ago. But I was bummed to receive it and realize that it's not actually the advertised bar... yet. Still comes with last year's stopper. At first, I thought my supplier had simply made a mistake and sold me last year's bar (so did he when I told him what was inside the package), but it turns out that is how Ocean Rodeo was shipping them as of a month ago. But I was told that I'll get the upgraded stopper when it's available... soon. The new sliding stopper is a pretty major component, so it's hard to fully review it until it's complete with that innovation.

But outside of that, the bar seems solid and well made. I really like the quick release, which is a simple grab just above the chicken loop. The trim cleat on the chicken loop is nice, but for someone with long arms like me, I actually find it a little easier to reach up above and pull a trim strap. Having a trim cleat on the side of the chicken loop is easy to grab with one hand but not the other while kiting. Of course, with the amount of throw this bar allows, there's no way even I could reach a trim strap if it was built with that instead. Way more throw available than I need for the Caution Answer that I am flying it with (I didn't like the Answer bar at all).

I also use this bar with my C-kites, and it works great. Switching between the two should be perfect once I have the easy sliding stopper. Important note: this bar wouldn't work so well with C-kites for most setups, but it works if you have a Slingshot spinning leash/spreader bar like I do. I just connect the Slingshot leash to the center line of the Ocean Rodeo bar (with a short extension for it to reach). Not too many other bars out there that would work so easily with my flat kite and my C-kites.

The lines seem kind of lame compared to lines that have come with Naish and Windwing kites that I have bought in the past. These are thinner, slicker, and tangle more easily. And whereas many manufacturers use red lines for the left, Ocean Rodeo has decided to use red lines for both right and left. No biggie, but I do think tri-colored linesets make more sense. Also, there was absolutely no way to power up the lines enough for any of my kites. I had to add a short extension to the front lines to get the trim right with any of my kites. This is in addition to the line extensions that are already included that allow you to switch between 21m and 24m. It's great that they include the extensions - everyone should do that. Included rubber bands for winding lines are great too, although it's a lot easier for them to slip off and leave you with spaghetti than other systems like Naish.

Finally, I really wish the bar was available in 55cm, which I have used in the past for all of my kites from a 10m to a 17m. But the 50cm I bought is too short for my 17m, whereas their larger 60cm just seemed like it would be way too huge for most of my kites.

But I'm just making a point of giving the details. Overall, I think it's a great bar. Very clean, simple, and versatile.
Last edited by Wind Breaker on Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:41 pm

Thanks for the info. How is the cleat system on the c-loop? Is there any chance of it slipping out and power up the kite? How large is the hole in the bar for the two c-loop ropes to go through? Does the hole in the bar have anything smooth to keep the ropes from rubbing and wearing out?

Please give us an update when you have the new stopper. I'd like to know how much force it will hold and how difficult it is to move in an emergency.

Thanks,

Ed

Wind Breaker
Frequent Poster

Postby Wind Breaker » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:04 pm

The cleat system works really well. Engages very quickly and easily and seems solid. I don't think it would pop out unless something somehow caught on the extra dangling rope and pulled the line sideways out of the cleat. If it did, you're right that it would power up the kite, but once the sliding stopper is in place, I imagine you could just push the bar forward in an emergency. But I'll let you know when I get the upgrade.

The hole in the bar is big enough for the two ropes to pass through smoothly, but both lines are fairly abraded after just a few sessions. Not sure yet whether that's just normal break-in for a rope or whether it will continue to degrade. I usually end up replacing my Naish chicken lines every year (after they snap and I have to swim in). The center of the bar is molded carbon fiber, I believe, with very smooth tapered, rounded entry and exit. There is a wide metal insert ring (stainless steel?) right where the lines pass through. Seems much more durable than the plastic holes in my old Naish bars which wore out over time.

Wind Breaker
Frequent Poster

Postby Wind Breaker » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:36 pm

C U S T O M E R S E R V I C E N I G H T M A R E ! ! ! !

As stated above, I ordered a 2007 bar in February. When it arrived, I was bummed to see that it did NOT include the new sliding stopper, which had been advertised at KiteForum and at the OceanRodeo website. That's pretty lame as far as I'm concerned, but then I was told it was supposed to be ready in early March and would come with an entire upgrade kit. So I let it go. At the end of March, I was told "any day now". I tell customer service about an impending kite trip that would include multiple international destinations. I really wanted that sliding stopper to complete the bar that I bought in February! I sent a message saying I really needed it by April 17 for my trip and even included my FedEx account number to ensure that it would arrive in time. "Any day now." Finally, I get an e-mail on April 12 telling me that the stoppers are in, and one is going to be sent to me that day. Obviously, he forgot though because on the 17th I get a message saying he didn't send it because he didn't think it would get there in time. Uh... FedEx? Lame. In all fairness, he then offered to send it internationally if I could give him an address. But this wasn't that kind of trip - no address to give, so now I still don't have the bar that I bought two months earlier. Still, I let it go and looked forward to receiving the stopper when I got home. Finally, I get back from my trip in early May, and ask again for the stopper. It arrives, but it's not an entire upgrade kit as earlier promised. It's nothing but the stopper and an instruction sheet.

Finally today, I take the time to untie the old knot, cut away at some stitches in the rope to remove an interior slug (accidentally cutting a couple of rope threads along the way), slide the old stopper off, and go to put the new stopper on. The f@#ker won't go on! They give you a new piece of fabric to wrap the rope end and tell you to use pliers to pull it through. But I swear there is no way that the end of my rope is going through that tiny hole in the new stopper. I could try to cut it and start again with a fresh end, but honestly, the old melted end looks way cleaner than anything I could do. There are no extraneous burrs or nubs that I can see. And it's the narrowest spot on the entire rope.

Why the hell am I sitting here fumbling with this crap anyway? If you're going to advertise a new 2007 bar and then sell a bar that is labeled as a 2007 bar, shouldn't they match? Duh! I don't want to do your product assembly for you. If the bar isn't ready yet as advertised, then sell it as a 2006 bar, so that I know. As it stands, now I'm going to have to send this bar to Ocean Rodeo, have them install the new stopper (probably with a new rope), and finally get them to send it back. So that bar that I was stoked on back in February finally arrives in June. Great job, guys.

One more thing: if you notice in my earlier post above, I specifically mentioned that I thought the included lines seemed lame. But what do I know? Looks can be deceiving, right? Well, last week, while wrapping up my lines, I luckily noticed a major tear. Sure, I must have snagged something, but I certainly never felt a tug or anything. Nothing that my other lines haven't gone through over the years. Seems bizarre that none of my three and four year old linesets have ever torn, and this lineset that I immediately thought was lame tears within the first dozen or so rides.
Attachments
ORlineset.jpg
ORlineset.jpg (133.62 KiB) Viewed 1500 times

dwarf
Frequent Poster

Postby dwarf » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:35 pm

@ WB it took me 5 minutes to upgrade to the new stopper. You HAVE TO PUT ON THE TAPE VERY THIGHT around the end of the rope to avoid the diameter to be to large. Then you can pull it trough without any tools or pliers. I just used bare hands and believe me I am not Arnold.

That line looks totally f*cked up. You can contact OR about it but it looks like you damaged it on something. I have no problems at all with the lines.

Give it another go but with some smart sense this time. The new stopper is definitely worth it. I really like it. Can go oldschool no-hand style with an SLE again.

:bye:

Kitedude
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kitedude » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:53 am

it sounds like your slipped through the net soem how. i've been dealing with OR for ab out 7 years and generally find them very good to work with.

As for the lines, there standard line supplied with 99% of kite out there, they probably got caught on a fin, shell etc,

how do find the kite in general???

tungsten222
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tungsten222 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:33 am

Original message expired.
Last edited by tungsten222 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

H2orockett
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby H2orockett » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:14 am

KHK had an OR Rise kite with the new bar at their demo days. We all wanted to try the kite, but the kite wouldn't fly at all. It turned out the front and back line lengths were way off in length. Too bad, definitely an unfortunate quality control issue at the factory.

Wind Breaker
Frequent Poster

Postby Wind Breaker » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:52 am

Kitedude wrote:As for the lines, there standard line supplied with 99% of kite out there, they probably got caught on a fin, shell etc,
Well, maybe more like 50%. And I feel sorry for all the guys out there that have no idea that there are better lines available. How would they know if they use the same brand or bar for years? It's hard to see the difference in the photo, but these are nothing like the lines that my Naish or Windwing kites had. The other thicker, softer lines are more supple and don't tangle as easily when you're walking your lines out. They're not nearly as scary to hold in your hand (when flagging a kite, etc.) because they're not as knife-like as these skinny, waxy lines. And most importantly, they're tougher. I'm not suggesting that Ocean Rodeo has the worst lines in the business. As you said, they're the same lines that lots of other companies use - the "B" quality lines. They're weak.

I'm sure you're right about the fin, shell, etc. theory. But I've done that dozens of times with my other lines - bad enough to actually feel it when it's happening - and never have I seen a line cut through like that. Abrasion, yes. But a cut? Nope. Years of abuse. Sure, there's always the chance that this was just some freak accident, but the fact that I thought the lines seemed weak from the beginning makes that less plausible to me. (take a look at my first post above)

Dwarf, I'm glad you were able to do the upgrade yourself. But with the way things have gone, I'm not totally convinced that you've even got the same depower line that I have. At one point, I was told the new setup would use a different line. I'll try again tomorrow and post a photo of the rope next to the stopper so you can see the difference in diameter. Hard to imagine how that rope would squeeze through that hole with what I'm looking at.

But again, why am I even doing this upgrade myself, months after I bought the bar? The main issue is don't sell a product that isn't as advertised. One of the main reasons I wanted this bar was because of the new stopper. What if Cabrinha had advertised the original Crossbow, but then delivered a bunch of kites without bridles? Months later, the bridle arrives in the mail and you attach it yourself.

Return to “Kitesurfing”