Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Rodrigues

forum for kitesurfers

jameser
Rare Poster

Rodrigues

Postby jameser » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:41 pm

Hi - anyone got first hand experience of Rodrigues? Looking at a trip in July staying at Mourouk Ebony Hotel.

nemoz
Medium Poster

Re: Rodrigues

Postby nemoz » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:26 pm

november 2004, october 2005, novmber 2006, even if is not july the island the same but you'll find more wind and a little bit colder temperature, at Morouk you'll find Jerome the owner of the only kite club of the island, the place is perfect for learning and very nice, big lagoon, waves on the reef nice people smiling all the days...

enjoy the quiet island and the perfect kite conditions...

jameser
Rare Poster

Postby jameser » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:31 pm

thanks nemoz, can you tell me a few things - what kite sizes did you use? what was the form with downwinders / boat trips to explore the lagoon? do you think it a suitable place for a non-kiting partner? and is it easy to explore the island? Cheers

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:32 pm

I didn't go, but heard it is supposed to be very nice!
Always some knots more of wind than on Mauritius.
Lots of space, and I assume there are some very nice, secret spots ( :wink: ).

Would be cool if you can add info to http://www.kitebeaches.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; since for now the info is pretty rare.

Have a great trip!

nemoz
Medium Poster

Postby nemoz » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:07 pm

The mourouk offer a lot to visitors, so non kiters have no problem, you could explore all the island with a car all the street are in good conditions, autobus?? yes they exist, but the lates is at 5 pm, I use it one time, but I don't suggest you to use them usually.
The island have a lot of sandy beach I rode both the north than south part of the island, east and west side, i prefer the south and east side due to more constant wind.
I don't like very much the downwind, i prefer to travel upwind and have the island down wind to have a possible rescue point, but i did 2 down wind one in the south and one in the north part, one with Jerome and one with a fisherman, porbably the only white fisherman of the island with french father and mother, the north down wind tour last 7 hours with wind increased from 20 to 30 knots but was great finishing the day near to coco island in the west part of the lagoon.

I'm very light (62 kg)the first year I used only the 8 and one day my 12 cabrinha c kite, the second year I used half days the sonic 8 and half the sonic 11, in 2006 I used 10 days the rebel 9 and only 4 days the rebel 12 one day no wind and one day a north rhino 20. Usually rodrigues have more wind than Mauritius, the waves.... PERFECT... but with a very low water reef if you compare to One Eye.

Go and visit it .. I never meet all the people with a smile on the face like the Rodrigues people.. I want to suggest you to go to The Auberg de la Montagne for a dinner(you have to phone to take place) :-) or Mongue restaurant for lobster, there is a good restaurant too in Porth Maturen the owners are italians, but you could find both european dishes, than Creole dishes.

@ Toby I'll have to check for the photos and I'll insert in kitebeaches...

nemoz
Medium Poster

Postby nemoz » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:17 pm

http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=9FRu-JxTq_s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jameser
Rare Poster

Postby jameser » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:05 pm

Thanks Nemoz good information - just looking for as much positive reinforcement as possible as it is an expensive trip for me and want to make sure that it is money well spent. Also want the wife to have a nice time - other than just watch me enjoying what are tipped to be perfect conditions!!

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:45 am

Rodigues is great for flat water runs.
Really good speed runs are possible there, but don't go there for the waves you will have to travel miles.
PM me if you want a contact for waves there, as there is another kitecentre that has opened up near the airport (closer to the waves)
Nico

jameser
Rare Poster

Postby jameser » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:47 pm

Thanks Nico - sounds like that would be a good day trip - please let me have the details.

Return to “Kitesurfing”