Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

good safety solution?

Postby Toby » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:24 pm

I just saw in a German forum a good idea:

after the last fatality in the Netherlands locals and experienced riders want to wear a special lycra, showing they know the area and will give help.

It will look like this...I think this is an interesting idea...

Comments?

Klaus (c:E
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: lousy
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Klaus (c:E » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:38 pm

Hai,

my first thought was: "Great!"
It´s a good idea to have locals You can recognize so You know whom to ask for local knowledge - not only with focus on sheer safety.
My second thought was that i wanted to contribute so i donated an international TLD domain and webspace to the itiative.
It´s an initiative that arose in the Netherlands so You might want to look at:
Kite-Aware Team on kitehigh.nl

Sea You: Klaus (c:E

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Clew In » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:37 am

Hey,

That is a great idea. I know when I was starting this year it would have been nice to know some of the guys on the beach were willing to help you out. All of them were great help and loved to give advice anyway.

Another idea along with that would be to have a symbol on a flag and you could fly it on the beach to let people know that kiters are there and need the space. It seems like in the afternoon when you set up on the beach people like to come sit right next to you even if there is all kind of room on the beach. I think it could be like the DIVER DOWN flag and boats know to stay clear.

Clew In

Lord of the Boards
Frequent Poster

Postby Lord of the Boards » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:34 pm

After the horrible kiteboard accident in Holland two weeks ago, discussions about safety and precaution where hot on the Dutch forums.

(A 23 year old guy had launched his kite on the beach with onshore wind, got lofted and dragged onto a parked van. A week after the accident, he died in hospital. also see: http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopi ... 4&start=40 )

We don't have a lot of spots in Holland where we are allowed to kitesurf and everyone wants kiteboarding to be safe. These accidents shouldn't happen anymore!
The kite community has come with an idea to prevent accidents and to provide better information for newbees and tourists. The idea is called KITE-AWARE.

It's quite simple. For every different kitespot, we need a couple of locals who kite alot and know the specific rules of the spot. They also need to know what is safe and what is not. They just have to be responsible kiteboarders who want to save the spot and the sport. This already happens now, but it's not organised.
These "responsible kiteboarders" will be the members of the kite-aware team. You can recognize them by a Kite-Aware lycra, so it's easy for newbees or tourists to see who they can ask for information about the spot they want to go kiteboarding. KITE AWARE will also talk to people who act dangerously or neglect the rules. They just keep an eye on everyone and try to keep the spot and the sport safe.

The idea of KITE AWARE only started a week ago and already we have over 50 KITE AWARE members for 28 kitesurf spots (some joined in for more than one spot), so it seems to become a great succes!

For us the main reason is that it's alway better to have something organised by ourself, instead of the government. Some spots have a lot of pressure and are about to be closed. With the KITE AWARE we hope to prevent closure of the already rare kitespots in Holland and provide a better safety. Now we can show the government that we can do it ourselves without their "help......" The kite community sticks together for a better kite-environment.

Curious? We are online on: http://www.kiteaware.nl (still under construction.....) If you have additional ideas, please let us know!

Jan

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:55 pm

Hello Jan,

It sounds like a good response. How the guys render assistance and how it is received will influence how well things workout. Ideally, riders new to an area will take it for what it is worth. That is valuable local knowledge given freely in an effort to preserve access and safety. There may be hard cases but there usually is at some point. In time they should become less of a factor as your group gains recognition and acceptance.

Well done!

Lord of the Boards
Frequent Poster

Postby Lord of the Boards » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:07 pm

It's obvious that the whole kite community wants to do something to preserve accidents and save the spots and the sport. The whole idea is made by the kiters themselves (a good thing of a week without wind........). One person has taken the initiative to put all ideas together and work it out. It's made by kiters who want to help kiters. That's why we call it Kiters for Kiters by Kiters. When I heard of the initiative, I immediately decided to support the team.

It's still young and has to grow, but I think it will be successfull.

Gibby
Medium Poster

Postby Gibby » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:18 pm

That sounds like a great idea. You just have to hope that symbol becomes pretty universally recognized, and that shops tell "newbies" about it.

It won't help if some wank buys a kite and tries a spot alone w/out any idea about what he's doing.

But I'm not knocking the concept, it's a great idea for local riders to serve as ambassadors...and self-police in some cases.

Return to “Kitesurfing”