forum for kitesurfers

Chriskef
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Brand Affiliation: None

A good replacement for my Sonic??

Postby Chriskef » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:35 pm

Hi,

After 5 months good riding on my Sonic 14m I'm looking to replace it. The LE build quality is shite and today, for the 2nd time, tore across the LE bursting the bladder again. Impact on the water was light and I now believe that a 2nd repair will be followed by another tear somewhere else along the LE.

I loved the low end this kite had so can anyone suggest, based on experience, a similar SLE type kite with a similar low end. The Rebel 14m, Instinct 15m and Ion 15m look sweet, but will I miss the low end?

Thanks,

Chris

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil

Postby marekmk » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:26 pm

... you will miss the low end of the 14. Have flown many kites and the only kite that comes very close is the new Contra.

I do agree that the build quality was not that impresssixve on the 06 sonic. Have seen details of the 07 range and what is so impressive is the build quality on the next year kites.

GraemeF
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hythe Kent.
Dymchurch Kent
Greatstone Kent
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne Mauritius
Nyali Kenya
Style: Freeriding Ariel Lawnmower
Gear: Core
Brand Affiliation: Core Distributor

Postby GraemeF » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:34 pm

Build quality?

Low end?

One bow kite owns those qualities. Turbo Diesel 14. If you can fly it and have a board that matches your weight, you plane.

Only thing built even better is a Link, but there is no 14, and the 15 is for quite big guys.

Fiji Kiter
Rare Poster

Postby Fiji Kiter » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:51 pm

I have owned 4 Sonic';s.
The first one started a small opening along the stitching on the LE.
I sewed it and it fine.
The others were purchased 3 2monthes ago and have a diffferent and better looking construction on the seams.

The 07 again different and stronger.

Its a early problem thats been well and truely sorted

D_Clark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby D_Clark » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:17 am

Check out the Sonic2. The construction has been upgraded a long with the addition of one pump. I also hear that the bar has been polished too.

The TD 14 is also a nice kite, and I hear that the turbo2 will be nice.

The Link 15 doesn't have the lowend of the sonic 14 but its built like a tank.

From what I have heard on the net, it seems like the first batch was sub par and then they got it sorted out. And then they upgraded it again for 2007.

nyckiteboarder
Medium Poster

RRD Hyper Type

Postby nyckiteboarder » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:52 am

You might want to check out the new RRD Hyper Type. My review is on the following two links. I try to give honest reviews and i am not affilitiated with any kite company. In fact, i am the exact opposite of 'brand loyal'. I change my quiver every 8 months and pretty much always switch brands because i base my decisions on having actually ridden the kites and not based on advertisng, marketing or just what i read in the forum. I love this kite.

http://www.extremekiteskiteboarding.com ... c&start=30

or

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopi ... c&start=80

kiter---)
Medium Poster

Postby kiter---) » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:06 am

anything really...I have heared so many bad things abot that kite's buld quality, and even when I saw one it looked like something glued with BOstik.

flyaway
Frequent Poster

Re: A good replacement for my Sonic??

Postby flyaway » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:22 pm

Dude, I had ride sonic14, and inded has a lot of low end...
I own a instinc13 and I start to ride with the same low end, plus I have bomb prof construction, stability, smooth, and is faster turn tan the S14.
Plus it´s more easyer to relaunch the instinct13 in the low end due to the 5th line than the sonic14.
:bye:

Chriskef wrote:Hi,

After 5 months good riding on my Sonic 14m I'm looking to replace it. The LE build quality is shite and today, for the 2nd time, tore across the LE bursting the bladder again. Impact on the water was light and I now believe that a 2nd repair will be followed by another tear somewhere else along the LE.

I loved the low end this kite had so can anyone suggest, based on experience, a similar SLE type kite with a similar low end. The Rebel 14m, Instinct 15m and Ion 15m look sweet, but will I miss the low end?

Thanks,

Chris

twisted weasel
Rare Poster

Postby twisted weasel » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:30 pm

the ion 15 gets me upwind in 11kt(87kg) and still not maxed out in 27kt, try the 15 atom, you will love it

nyckiteboarder
Medium Poster

Postby nyckiteboarder » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:45 pm

12M Hyper Type has better low end than the 13M Instict & maybe even more than the 15m Instinct. We tested them side by side with the Cabrinhas, Instincts & Waroo. Don't take my word for though. I wouldn't have believed it myself but it's true. Try for yourself if you can. I also have my review posted so i hope it's of help but i encourage you to test them side by side if you have the chance. We were all blown away by this kite's low end!

my review as well as other comments are here:

http://www.extremekiteskiteboarding.com ... c&start=30

and

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopi ... c&start=80

Return to “Kitesurfing”