Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New too kitesurfin/boarding,question on air pressure in kite

forum for kitesurfers

richknebel
Rare Poster

New too kitesurfin/boarding,question on air pressure in kite

Postby richknebel » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:45 pm

Hey guys, Im new here, and new to the sport.... Ive spent many hours on various trainer kites, and finally bought my first 2 kites...

My question is for a Cabrinha kite (2005 8m and 10m nitro), without having a PSI gauge.... what should I feel for when pumping up the chambers?

I obviously have learned you dont want to under inflate, nor over inflate...... is there a "general rule of thumb" for feeling the pressure
eg) once you cant twist the chambers

Your advise will be much appreciated!

Safe_Cracker
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Safe_Cracker » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:02 pm

I may not be too much in the way of help but I have been told for most kites to inflate them to where if you flick the leading edge and pings should be enough, and between 7-8psi. I know the waroos need 8psi but I have a Wipika that requires around 5psi but usually add a little more anyways. For a rule of thumb if you plan on letting your kite sit for any real time on a hot beach in the sun you don't want to overinflate because the pressure increase from the sun could contribute to bursting (just a theory). The struts should feel FIRM and hold there shape. Polo..

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:17 pm

Hold the kite up once inflated and try to bend the LE against the ground, it should bend reasonably easy but still hold its shape. SLE/Bow kites need greater pressure than c kites. A c kite will fly ok slightly underinflated but you may find it hard to relaunch.

As a guide 5-6 psi in c kites, 7-9 psi in sle kites (btw, 9 psi is hell of a lot!!!)
Pump the struts up harder as they are smaller diameter

But the best way to suss it out is through experience, you'll soon work it out :D

Jay

The B
Medium Poster

Postby The B » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:44 pm

My advice, get a gauge. Sure, they're not 100% accurate, but it'll get you in the ballpark. Its worth the piece of mind to not ask yourself, "is my LE softer than it should be". When I frst started out I had the tendency to overinflate, but because I didnt have a gauge I never really knew just how much pressure was in the kite. One day, after about an hour of sitting on the beach in the sun, the LE on my kite blew out and took the bladder with it. Now I've got a busted kite sitting in my basement that's not really worth fixing, all because I didnt want to spend the extra $25 to get a gauge.
An important point to keep in mind is that the larger the diameter of the strut or LE, the less pressure it needs to retain its shape. The hoop stress is a function of the pressure and the diameter; the larger the diameter, the greater the stress on the fabric for any given pressure.

Halomon
Frequent Poster

Postby Halomon » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:23 pm

Dude, the B just gave you the best advice; get a gauge so you know exactly what psi you need; no guessing,no BS. Maybe after a while you won't need it any more. For me it's become a crutch; can't function without it...

Return to “Kitesurfing”