Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kitesurfing user manuals, how can they be improved?

Forum for kitesurfers
sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None

Kitesurfing user manuals, how can they be improved?

Postby sq225917 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:01 pm

Guys i'm looking for some feedback on kitesurfing product user manuals, what you like, what you need, what works and what doesn't work.

It's a broad topic i know, newbies need to know every last detail, experienced kiters just want the salient facts and product changes.

What do you expect to see in a user manual?

What differences should there be between cd-pritned and online versions?

Do you prefer icons or images to show product spec details?

Do you prefer product bullet points or a description that talks through the functions of product features?

Do you need them in every language, or can they be simplified with use of graphics to minimize the word count without reducing their usefulness?

Basically, tell me anything and everything, i want to ensure we produce the perfect product manuals but i need to know what you wnat to see and read.

thanks.

http://www.bestkiteboarding.com/Manuals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MistralWind
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Punta las Marias
Ocean Park
Rio Mar
Favorite Beaches: Punta las Marias
Baja
Style: Wave, unhooked wakestyle
Gear: waroo 07
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kitesurfing user manuals, how can they be improved?

Postby MistralWind » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 am

to actually include them with the kites you buy!
!

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:36 am

Good question Simon. I would say if you could motivate users to actually read through them that would be a great accomplishment. Most of this lay with the user of course, still all benefit if kiters read the specifics. Shannon asked me to do this years ago shortly after things got going but it never took off, not sure why.

What do you expect to see in a user manual?

I would say you need to cover the main points of essential information the user may need, which is a lot. Kite components, setup, tear down, basic operation/reloading of QR, trimming, Emergency Depowering, preventive maintenance, trouble shooting, basic repairs, glossary, TELL them to see the wind range table on a regular basis for kite selection & recommending wind speed checks. Clear overview and instructions for new technology, innovations seems to be a good idea as well. This could go on longer. Think of what they provide with aircraft, this is different but there are similarities as well. May not be necessary to go that far but an effective effort to cover the basics seems to be indicated.

Presenting the disclaimer language in as effective, concise a way as possible to hopefully get users to read and think the stuff over. Motivating adequate quality Pro training is a given but at the same time, covering key precautions seems to be a good idea from a liability management position. Incorporating basic safety guidelines (weather, launch selection cautions, etc.) into this language is customary and a good idea as well I think. Detailing protective gear, here's a controversial idea, HAVE team riders routinely wear protective gear in ad's! Radical but you asked, ha.

What differences should there be between cd-pritned and online versions?

I think the online and CD should be identical aside from last minute updates and hyperlinks. Maybe highlighting some of the basic precautions in an embedded video clips might be effect, the goals being to motivate proper instruction, minimizing dumb acts and liability management again. There seems to be a trend towards placing the manual on CD. Works for me but I'm on something like kite 50 and really don't need to read over setup details at the beach. Some guys may need something more portable. I am not sure a "quick" setup short reference in print is that good an idea though, again liability.

Do you prefer icons or images to show product spec details?

Photos and illustrations with section icons perhaps.

Do you prefer product bullet points or a description that talks through the functions of product features?

To a reasonable degree, both.

Do you need them in every language, or can they be simplified with use of graphics to minimize the word count without reducing their usefulness?

I don't think we are at the point of dumbing down instructions to universal diagrams. It means more overhead but I think translation into primary user languages is still desirable. Ideally, it may save more grief in the long run.

Send me an email and we can talk more about this if you like.

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
flkitesurfer at hotmail.com

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Clew In » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:48 am

Hey,

I like the instructional videos on the website. Maybe you could add some video to cover putting the QR back together, trimming the kite (what knots to use first and show what the kite does when not propperly trimmed), go over the leading edge inflation and show any tips to tell when properly inflated and there are many more topics that could be added.

I know that would have been helpful when I was learning to kitesurf and after I purchased a Waroo. The packing up video took the guess work out of that task.

Clew In

sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX

Postby sflinux » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:55 am

If a kite comes with "bridle lines", I expect that the manufacturer should include detailed specifications for each of the bridles, well documented, in the manaul, or make it available online.

slim
Medium Poster

Postby slim » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:02 pm

sell the kite with a lesson

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:35 am

I just looked at the 08 waroo manual

Starts with the obligatory picture of a hottie and lawyer disclaimers about 100 ways to get killed kitesurfing. Then some promo junk that most will skip (they already bought the kite!)

Then very good description of setup and rigging options. Critical photos could be a bit bigger - marketing photos are fine small (like ones about toughness, etc.)

self launch and land - why not either also add the truck launch or put a link to the website that there are other ways to do it?

Q&A at the end is also good - things like PSI, packing, ... are also useful

very nice overall.

You should find out from beginners - they might not know all the jargon and get more easily confused.

RickyBobby
Frequent Poster

Postby RickyBobby » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:28 pm

Cabrinha does a pretty good job with their user manual

RB

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:32 pm

Just went briefly thru the Waroo 08 manual and it looks fine , at least for newbies should be ok . i havent read a manual for at least 3 years but guess many people like to read them though :idea:

Ozone in this matter dosent even include a manual ... or at least i havent seen any beside of a general booklet with the usual bla bla bla

Saludos

Franz

Return to “Kitesurfing”