Local Beach: Holland
Favorite Beaches: Bergen, Cumbuco, Capetown, Maroochydore
Style: wave
Gear: North Rebel 2013 9m2 & 7m2
North Kontakt 6.0"
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: what is the ultimate kite for surfing?

Postby BBQFish » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:03 pm

It's al very personal.
I ride in a messy Northsea, no clean waves.
Mostly use my 6'0'' Converse with my 2008 Rebel 7m2
Oh, and i weigh 90Kg..

fugitivo
Rare Poster

Postby fugitivo » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:32 am

,,,,normally everybody is happy with their kites,,,that´s good...it´s something personal, usually I go out on a Furia II 7m and if the wind is light I have an O.Rodeo Rise 10m.

Raphael
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Virginia Beach, VA
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras, North Carolina
Style: Surf style
Gear: Jimmy Lewis custom KT kitesurfboard, Epic kites, HQ kites, Eclipse kites
Brand Affiliation: Virginia Power Kites, Epic, HQ, Eclipse

Postby Raphael » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:10 pm

I usually use whatever kite I want--12 meter RRD Obsession, 7 and 9 meter Best Yarga, Flexifoil 7m, even a 16.5 m Liquid Force. I don't think the kite is that critical since you aren't going to be performing wakestyle tricks with a directional board. If you are using a twin tip and like using waves for huge air, then the Obsession rocks as well as many of the other brands like the Epic Screamer. It really depends on your riding style. I would definitely go with a more stable kite if you are in big waves, like the Epic Renegade. I also ride w/closed cell foils, too. I often use an HQ Neo II because it almost has autozenith. I think foil kites are more predictable. The old C-kites are also great in the surf because they turn really fast and don't have as much power as bow/hybrid kites; also, they are great for unhooked riding. I bet a Peter Lynn arc would be great in large surf because of its autozenith function. l definitely wouldn't want a twitchy kite in large surf because if you get thrown around, you'll need a stable kite to avoid crashing. I think your question needs to be rephrased because really large waves require a more stable kite unless you are kiting in a reef break. Where I am from, there are no reef breaks. Also, it depends on whether you like to ride close to the beach or further out where you aren't even riding broken waves (I consider that kitesurfing because you can get some pretty big swell way out there, even in small wave areas like the East Coast).
I personally would ride anything one or two sizes smaller for straplesss riding; for freestyle, I would choose a freestyle kite like the Obsession or any of the other brands available now for jumping.
I think the board is more critical for kitesurfing. I prefer a board with flex because they are more forgiving than stiffer boards when you hit the whitewater and chop.
I have a board by TB that is custom made that I use (I bought it from my store at Virginia Power Kites). It is super light, so you can really pop off the waves, but it can flex really well, so your knees don't take a beating like they can with a surfboard when you hit some large chop.

KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com

Postby KiteCulture » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:41 pm

I know this thread may seem a little like pimpin, but I've ridden the Royal kites, same as you and have moved to a quiver of Epic Renegades. Amazing kites in the waves, or any other aspect of riding. As you can see from the posts, there are a lot of kite choices out there and a lot of info available. If you'd like to know more about why I moved away form Royals, feel free to PM me. They are decent kites but once I made the switch, the riding seemed to be more enjoyable.

Lots of options, best of luck.

floripakiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Campeche, Barra da Lagoa, Ibiraquera
Favorite Beaches: Campeche, Barra da Lagoa, Ibiraquera
Gear: Cabrinha, Best

Postby floripakiter » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:10 pm

I use to ride waves with cabrinha...

Now, i´m using best kahoona 7.5... it´s a f... good kite in waves.

It´s a very different ride. I just can do anything i want with the kite.

Try it.

liv2surf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Waddell Creek, Scott Creek, Miramar-Half Moon Bay, Coyote Point, Pillar Point Harbor-HMB
Style: waves & foil
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters 7, 9, 11. Firewire Dominator surfboard (quad), no straps. SS SpacePickle adapted to foil (LF Foilfish foil), two foot hooks, front and back.

Postby liv2surf » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:34 pm

Raphael wrote:I usually use whatever kite I want--12 meter RRD Obsession, 7 and 9 meter Best Yarga, Flexifoil 7m, even a 16.5 m Liquid Force. I don't think the kite is that critical since you aren't going to be performing wakestyle tricks with a directional board. If you are using a twin tip and like using waves for huge air, then the Obsession rocks as well as many of the other brands like the Epic Screamer. It really depends on your riding style. I would definitely go with a more stable kite if you are in big waves, like the Epic Renegade. I also ride w/closed cell foils, too. I often use an HQ Neo II because it almost has autozenith. I think foil kites are more predictable. The old C-kites are also great in the surf because they turn really fast and don't have as much power as bow/hybrid kites; also, they are great for unhooked riding. I bet a Peter Lynn arc would be great in large surf because of its autozenith function. l definitely wouldn't want a twitchy kite in large surf because if you get thrown around, you'll need a stable kite to avoid crashing. I think your question needs to be rephrased because really large waves require a more stable kite unless you are kiting in a reef break. Where I am from, there are no reef breaks. Also, it depends on whether you like to ride close to the beach or further out where you aren't even riding broken waves (I consider that kitesurfing because you can get some pretty big swell way out there, even in small wave areas like the East Coast).
I personally would ride anything one or two sizes smaller for straplesss riding; for freestyle, I would choose a freestyle kite like the Obsession or any of the other brands available now for jumping.
I think the board is more critical for kitesurfing. I prefer a board with flex because they are more forgiving than stiffer boards when you hit the whitewater and chop.
I have a board by TB that is custom made that I use (I bought it from my store at Virginia Power Kites). It is super light, so you can really pop off the waves, but it can flex really well, so your knees don't take a beating like they can with a surfboard when you hit some large chop.
I have to disagree - I believe the kite matters in a huge way. Forget tricks, forget waves that don't break, forget twin tips (for the sake of this discussion). We are talking about kiteSURFING. about riding real breaking waves with a surfboard and a kite. In spite of these variables that we agree to ignore, there remain some variables that may indicate different kites (esp. hooked vs unhooked, 'park and ride' style vs aggressive-slashing-kite-anticipate-board-moves style, strapless?, wind 'direction'). Finally, personal preference is huge and may override some of the more subtle qualities. It is true we adapt to a lot and can have fun in spite of our kite BUT some kites are better than others.

I have flown 2010 Cabrinha Nomad (7,9), 2010 Rebel (7,9,12), Bandit 3 and Airush Lithium (6,8,10). All are good in the waves compared to my 3 seasons old F-one Bandits (which were great in their day - and I still have fun on them - but am worried they will disintegrate any minute). I am kind of neurotic and can't decide which one of these brands to pull the trigger for.

eightsmileys
Frequent Poster
Style: Strapless waveriding
Gear: Liquid Force

Postby eightsmileys » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:39 am

People that love waveriding should try the Liquid Force Envy 2010 or 2011!
You just focus on the wave as the kite is super smooth, does not back stall, fast, light due to 3 struts = glydes 10/10, bomb proof!

Just give it a go :)

spoetnik
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Scheveningen, Ter Heijde
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii

Postby spoetnik » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:45 pm

Today Ben Wilson announced his new brand. I think one of Ben Wilson Surf's kites will be one of the best....

liv2surf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Waddell Creek, Scott Creek, Miramar-Half Moon Bay, Coyote Point, Pillar Point Harbor-HMB
Style: waves & foil
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters 7, 9, 11. Firewire Dominator surfboard (quad), no straps. SS SpacePickle adapted to foil (LF Foilfish foil), two foot hooks, front and back.

Postby liv2surf » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:49 pm

spoetnik wrote:Today Ben Wilson announced his new brand. I think one of Ben Wilson Surf's kites will be one of the best....
Yeah, I hope so. I am definitely really keen on the fact that BWK's focus is exclusively on wave riding. I think Caution kites is also pretty much in the same boat. Ben's extensive involvement with Slingshot (which must have involved product design?, development and testing) will no doubt help him with BWK kites.

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Postby piccio » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:02 am

At moment have rebel 5 9 vegas 7 2010
changing in vegas 5 10 2011 keep 7 2010.
do not know Royals ,best try before
HI !!

Return to “Kitesurfing”