Forum for kitesurfers
kiterjenx
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kiteman saves a man life

Postby kiterjenx » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:48 pm

Kiteman (aka Eric fresh) was in the middle of cheney lake wednesday afternoon and not a boat anywhere. 28mph winds with gust to 40mph 1/2 mile+ from land and kiteman hears a faint moan. Kiteman turns around sees a head in the water.
The guy is so cold he can not hold on to Eric. So Eric put his kite leash on the guys lifejacket and tows the frozen guy a 1/2 mile+ to wichita point.
I was kiting down wind off of wichita point and thought eric had lost his board. So I went to help out a buddy.
When i saw that Eric was towing a man that was as white as a ghost I went for help back at kitebeach about a mile away . Mark was there giving a kite lesson on a jetski and went to help Eric.
The frozen guy was one of two fishermen in a small boat that sank on the south side of cheney lake. One man made it to shore and the other man floated in the water for 2-3 hours before Eric found him about a mile from where the boat sank.
Good job Kiteman aka Eric Fresh

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Kiteman saves a man life

Postby Toby » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:08 pm

Great, really well done!

Hero!

thebroz
Medium Poster

Postby thebroz » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:23 pm

Was this in Alaska? That would bring a new appreciation to "frozen"

Well done!

Broz

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:44 pm

Well done guys! Sounds like a great Way To Go account, would be good to get some more info. What would you guess the time of day and water temperature to have been? Just found the sailing clubs wx database for air temp and wind info. What part of the lake did Eric launch from, M&M Point and roughly where would you say he took the fisherman under tow? Any idea why the boat sank? Was there a search going on for the fisherman called in by the one that made it to shore? Did the rescued fisherman say anything to you guys assuming he was coherent by the time he made it to shore?

Thanks!

http://www.snyderscheneymarina.com/file ... neyMap.jpg

kiterjenx wrote:Kiteman (aka Eric fresh) was in the middle of cheney lake wednesday afternoon and not a boat anywhere. 28mph winds with gust to 40mph 1/2 mile+ from land and kiteman hears a faint moan. Kiteman turns around sees a head in the water.
The guy is so cold he can not hold on to Eric. So Eric put his kite leash on the guys lifejacket and tows the frozen guy a 1/2 mile+ to wichita point.
I was kiting down wind off of wichita point and thought eric had lost his board. So I went to help out a buddy.
When i saw that Eric was towing a man that was as white as a ghost I went for help back at kitebeach about a mile away . Mark was there giving a kite lesson on a jetski and went to help Eric.
The frozen guy was one of two fishermen in a small boat that sank on the south side of cheney lake. One man made it to shore and the other man floated in the water for 2-3 hours before Eric found him about a mile from where the boat sank.
Good job Kiteman aka Eric Fresh
Last edited by RickI on Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zloilyoha
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skadovsk
Favorite Beaches: Karzhyny Skadovsk, Cape Town SA
Style: free
Gear: slingshot, ozone, core

Postby zloilyoha » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:57 pm

:thumb:

Younger
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dublin

Postby Younger » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:33 pm

Fantastic! Great to hear such good news - a wonderful change from all the unfortunate injuries/fatalities etc.

kazi
Medium Poster

Postby kazi » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:52 pm

That's awesome! Way to go Kiteman!

Here's a video of the lake where it took place.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:26 pm

Awesome stuff. I understand the feint moaning - i have been a couple of km out to sea and thought it was voices in my head, ignored it but went back and found a screaming swimmer sucked out to sea by the estuary current that I towed back in!

There was a good story of a kiter that went out and rescued a broken downjetski in huge swells in NSW aussie also a year or 2 ago.

Feng
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Franceville, normandie, france
Favorite Beaches: beauduc south of france
Gear: Cab 13 SB, Cab 9 Xbow, Cab 8 2013 SB

Postby Feng » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:54 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:Awesome stuff. I understand the feint moaning - i have been a couple of km out to sea and thought it was voices in my head, ignored it but went back and found a screaming swimmer sucked out to sea by the estuary current that I towed back in!
How practically did you tow this guy ?
Did you left your board, ask the guy to grab your harness handle and did you both body drag downwind pull by the kite ?

I am wondering what to do exactely in this situation.
I had the feeling that we should keep the board (that still can be usefull in case of current) for example attached with the kite leach through the foot strap and ask the guy to be saved to grap the harness handle.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:18 pm

Way to go!

Return to “Kitesurfing”