Hilton Head - is it worth it?

Forum for kitesurfers
dbone66
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hilton Head - is it worth it?

Postby dbone66 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:27 am

I can't find much information on Hilton Head kiteboarding. There's no info on local spots or local riders. I've seen a video and a few posts but that's it. Is there a kite scene in Hilton Head? I'll be there a few days in early March and I'll be bringing my gear. Right now it seems like I'll be out there lone star on some random beach. Does anyone have any info on this area? Thanks.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Hilton Head - is it worth it?

Postby jakemoore » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:23 am

Tybee and Charleston have a scene. I used to go to Beaufort/Hunting Island when I was in Georgia because it was closer but then with time I found Charleston to be worth the drive. I can't explain why the wind and launches were better. Bring your lightwind gear.

Jake

rsillsley
Medium Poster

Postby rsillsley » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:43 am

Are we talking about getting blown by Paris....

osiolahuj
Rare Poster

Postby osiolahuj » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:19 pm

rsillsley wrote:Are we talking about getting blown by Paris....
:lol: yeah depends how much..

Chungmu
Frequent Poster

Postby Chungmu » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:24 pm

I was there 2 years ago on a family event. Wind was light at best and only rode 1 day out of 6. Was there end of May so might be better winds earlier in the Spring. I was riding in front of Marriott Grande Ocean but I saw some other riders up the beach near the Holiday Inn I think. You should try and get in contact with some one locally. I think there were some regulations about kiting there but I can't remember specifically what they were.

Hope you get better winds than I did.
- C

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Clew In » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:59 pm

Hey,

Here is a link for a shop that has some info on spots in Charleston:

http://catchsomeair.us/ride_guide/south ... tent.shtml

I do not know about Hilton Head; however, Tybee Island is kite friendly and the south tip is the most popular spot. High Tide Surf Shop (Tim) may be able to give you some information if you venture over there. His shop is on the right as you enter the island.

Clew In

thebroz
Medium Poster

Postby thebroz » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:36 pm

I have only been there in the summer and it is one of the only beaches that I can remember getting NO sea breeze at all. And it was hotter than hell. I know it's not possible but I always thought it felt like a negative breaze. You feel like you are in a swamp not on the coast. The other problem is it's so far from every other good kiteable spot. If you like golf & tennis it good place to be.

kitingkt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitingkt » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:03 pm

i was out that way in late october and got 3 days out of 5. the water is rough and choppy on the ocean side but, the sound side is nice if you can find a spot to launch. i was going to try by the light house but, the day i went, no wind.

if you are with family, it is great but, i wouldn't put it down as a place to go just for kiteboarding.

kt

Bryden
Medium Poster

Postby Bryden » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:49 pm

I like what I'm reading. I'm moving to Charleston, hopefully in mid March, and REALLY looking forward to kiting on a regular basis again.
From the catchsomeair website, it looks like March through July is a good time of year, but what wind speeds (kts) are we talking as typical? Will I need anything less than a 10m SLE (190 lbs, 137X40 twin tip, intermediate rider)?
Other than the forum on the aforementioned website, are there any other forums for SC kiters?

KEISER
Medium Poster
Local Beach: South Outer Banks, NC
Favorite Beaches: anywhere the wind blows and the waves crash
Style: surf
Gear: unbroken

Postby KEISER » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:50 pm

our forum is mostly n.c. kiters but there are a few of the s.c. crew on there and several of us have spent time in charleston. it is a really nice area to kite and a great group of riders. you will get a wide variety of conditions and may need a smaller kite but as always it depends on your weight and body style.

www.carolinakiting.com
www.windtoysfun.com

Return to “Kitesurfing”