Local Beach: none any more
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island
Style: kitesurfing
Gear: Naish Ride 8m
many various boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Qualities of best wave kite well known?

Postby jjjlaudenslager » Wed May 12, 2010 1:37 am

Aren't the qualities fairly well known? Fastest turning with least power loss when the bar is cranked. Drift with least altitude loss while retaining best ability to turn on slackest lines. Quickest relaunch. As bomb proof as the bomb proofest. Upwinding important mainly for those who don't have many downwinding opportunities. Boost and hang time of consequence only to the minority who jump much.

Maybe I've forgotten something, but isn't it fairly easy now to tell which is the best few 2009/2010 kites for waves if you have tried a bunch? So, which is it or they?

John L

sirkitealot
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Qualities of best wave kite well known?

Postby sirkitealot » Wed May 12, 2010 4:00 am

post edited...cant delete it
Last edited by sirkitealot on Thu May 13, 2010 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

jjjlaudenslager
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none any more
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island
Style: kitesurfing
Gear: Naish Ride 8m
many various boards

Postby jjjlaudenslager » Wed May 12, 2010 3:08 pm

When someone posts a kite is great, without comparing it's advantageous specifics to it's logical competitors, I discount the post as a pimp or from someone without significant experience.

liv2surf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Waddell Creek, Scott Creek, Miramar-Half Moon Bay, Coyote Point, Pillar Point Harbor-HMB
Style: waves & foil
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters 7, 9, 11. Firewire Dominator surfboard (quad), no straps. SS SpacePickle adapted to foil (LF Foilfish foil), two foot hooks, front and back.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby liv2surf » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:12 pm

jjjlaudenslager wrote:Aren't the qualities fairly well known? Fastest turning with least power loss when the bar is cranked. Drift with least altitude loss while retaining best ability to turn on slackest lines. Quickest relaunch. As bomb proof as the bomb proofest. Upwinding important mainly for those who don't have many downwinding opportunities. Boost and hang time of consequence only to the minority who jump much.

Maybe I've forgotten something, but isn't it fairly easy now to tell which is the best few 2009/2010 kites for waves if you have tried a bunch? So, which is it or they?

John L
I would add great depower to your list. Upwinding is also important for anyone who rides waves downwind and needs to get back (I would say it is only a lucky few who can disregard this). Agree than boost and hangtime are less important (but fun to have and can be useful for clearing waves). Bomb proof is good but less important to me personally only because I don't drop my kite (except if it flies really close to front of wind window - I think) and we have super fast relaunch. I want performance.

One big question I have is what are advantages/disadvantages of kites that fly towards the front of window vs farther back in the window ? What happens to each type when you ride towards the kite ?

leepasty
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: porthleven, west cornwall, uk
Favorite Beaches: gnaraloo,curral jouel, One Eye, Haakgat,
porthleven, Gwithian
Style: Waves
Gear: Duotone Pro Wam, Pro Session and Neos
Brand Affiliation: sponsored by Duotone & Ion

Postby leepasty » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:23 pm

I would say there is probable a Best kite for each spot on different days as all kites are different altough they may be similar and definately every spot and every wave is different.
This is without every rider being different!
What you have to do is look at where you ride with what style, wind direction etc and then try out a bunch of kites.
For me i use North Rebels when its Cross off riding as they fly nice and far forward in the window, have awesome depower and are super stable. as a plus they are also well built but as long as you get a top brand, they all are now but the new 2011 rebels use a new stronger canopy Teigin fibre (pimp)!
However for onshore/cross on riding, the rebels for me fly too far forward and are too fast.In this case you also don't need as much depwer and due to the wind at most spots normally being less gusty you probably want good unhooking performance. For me this is when i grab out the Evo's especially the 7!
Awesome drift, super stable, fast turns and good lowend.
I have used loads of different kites over the years but for me at the moment 5,7,9,11 rebels for cross off and 7 evo for cross on is my perfect quiver for all the types of riding i do.
Give them a try but remember delta shapes tend to have more power/less depower so better for more onshore where as higher aspect fly further forward in window so better for cross off.
Find what you like for you and then just enjoy the waves. Boards also play a major part in wave riding as do different fins!
For lessons,coaching and clinics on Wave riding with Kites in Cornwall visit
www.pastyadventures.co.uk

cheers
lee
:jump:

Return to “Kitesurfing”