All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wave riding in On-Shore wind?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:14 pm 
Medium Poster

Is there a general kite handling technique for wave riding/slashing in direct on-shore wind? Actually I was doing a down winder on a large lake and since the waves were going direct down wind I think the conditions must be similar. I was slashing the wave face on toeside with kite high, and then running with the wind, then doing a heelside bottom turn with kite lower and having to edge and pull VERY hard to head back upwind enough to get another wave face. I was slightly overpowered and it was a lot of work. Common conditions here so is there an alternate/better technique?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Wave riding in On-Shore wind?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:27 pm 
Frequent Poster

When slashing off the top turn the kite leading edge up and as you ride down the face it should drift backwards. If you want to bottom turn heelside keep the kite kite with the leading edge pointing forward and up. This way the kite won't be pulling hard as you try to make the turn and will allow you to ride up the face a little easier. You don't have to move the kite much if it is windy. If it is really light, as you complete the turn off the top you can down loop the kite so it doesn't stall.

[ 2 posts ]