Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Need new wetsuit -NPX Assassin 4/3 or Mystic Crossfire 4/3?

Forum for kitesurfers
POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Need new wetsuit -NPX Assassin 4/3 or Mystic Crossfire 4/3?

Postby POACHER » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Ok I unfortunately live in the Great White North and kite cold water 80% of the time. (I know.....MOVE right?) I need a better wetsuit for all conditions riding. Right now I have an old 3mm Liquid Force Radium top (it actually works great.........but is falling apart and LF doesn't make it any longer) for summer riding and an O'neill Evo 4/3 full suit for Lake Superior and/or fall/spring riding.

So I'm looking for a good long sleeve spring suit with at least 3mm neoprene. I like O'neills suits as I've had several. However O'neill doesn't make anything like I'm after. So I've found two suits that would work. NPX Assassin and Mystic Crossfire are both 4/3mm and 3/4 legs. Fine.

Anybody have experience with either company's suits? Pros/cons? I don't want to lay down $250 and find out I bought a piece of shit.

Thx!

VOMKB
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby VOMKB » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:25 pm

Hyperflex USA makes an AMP long sleeve spring suit. It's 2.5 mm, and it works great. I have the one with the top entry and dry zipper. I took it in 55 degree water, and stayed warm the whole time. It lists for $139.99, so it is affordable.

Jaime

MikeYQM
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Darkside Kites - Dealer for Slingshot, Cabrinha, NP Surf & JP Australia

Re: Need new wetsuit -NPX Assassin 4/3 or Mystic Crossfire 4

Postby MikeYQM » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:57 pm

Dealer alert...

Can't say anything bad about the Assassin, I've used NPX/Neil Pryde wetsuits for a long time without problems. Never tried a Mystic so I won't comment.

flyrob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Toronto Islands, Oliphant, Lake Simcoe Canada
Favorite Beaches: OBX, Tampa Bay, El Yaque and Coche Island, Venezuela, Tarifa, Spain
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Naish
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo Tech Team Rider

Postby flyrob » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:06 pm

There is so much branding hype over wetsuits yet so little science.

I've tried to explain it here before but people pay scant attention to the physics and continue to yammer on about insane flex, how their fave brand is this or that but if I can keep one more fellow Canadian warm (no homo!) then I'll type until my frostbitten fingers fall off!

NOTHING is more important in a windsports wet suit that a smooth skin surface.

It is NOT about being wind proof as in the wind not being able to penetrate the material. All neoprene does that.

It is about conventional dive suits with fabric faced neoprene getting wet, then being dried by the wind.

This process is called "evaporative cooling" and is a very powerful force of nature. Evaporation is defined as a cooling process of thermal physics.

Sweating is the most ready example of evaporative cooling. You sweat when you are hot, the sweat evaporates and liberates heat to keep you cool.

Evaporative cooling also works the same way and makes the surface of your wetsuit actually colder than the ambient air and water temperature until it is dry. And we all know how long it takes fabric faced neoprene to dry.

A smooth skin does not hold water so the evaporative cooling process is over within seconds of a dip in the water.

So you have the choice of wearing a wet/damp always cooling neoprene or dry neoprene on a windy day.

Which one seems like a better idea to keep you warmer?

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:05 pm

Flyrob,

Yeah I know what you mean. The LF Radium top I have (it's from 2005 I think?....) is 100% smooth skin 3mm neoprene. It's great. Me and one other buddy were lucky enough to find them online for $50. It is twice as warm as a 3mm top without the smooth skin or glide skin (whatever the hell these companies call it) I watch our other friends without them freeze while rigging and they're just shaking when they come off the water at times. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a huge vagina when it comes to being cold. I don't have much blubber on me to keep me warm and I chill quick. It sucks, but it's my build.

I'm amazed that many of these kite/windsurf companies don't make suits that have it on 100% of the suit. They all have it on the chest and back, nowhere else.

I didn't know NPX was Neilpryde. That's a good thing. Wasn't there an issue with some Mystic suits coming unglued or something too? Not sure. I see the '11 Mystic Crossfire 4/3 just came out and I'm not a fan of all the white they put on their suits. My stuff gets soooo dirty, anything white is a yellowish brown in a week.
(insert underwear joke here.)

So........unless someone has a better suggestion with full smooth skin, I'm leaning towards the NPX.

Rando1994
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tampa bay
Favorite Beaches: East beach at fort desoto
Gear: Ozone zephyr, ocean rodeo rise, mako king
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Rando1994 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:19 am

I have the 4/3 npx zealot with the smooth skin or glideskin or whatever they call it...would NEVER buy it again. Got a fingernail hole the first time i put it on. Since then three more, all near the upper chest and neck area. Likewise in the calf area too. The smooth neoprene is so delicate it can't take any pressure point or it tears immediately. I have a 3/2 body glove that's 12 years old without a single tear. The npx will be lucky to make it through this season. I will NOT be buying npx in the future. I heard hyper flex has a better durability... :evil:

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:35 am

if you want a little warmer suit, get the smooth skin (Neil Pryde 3000 or 5000 series suit...but as mentioned it is a bit more fragile and the shoulders have a tendency to crack. If you want a bit more durability and flexibilty, get an NPX Assassin or Zealot.
steve

MikeYQM
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Darkside Kites - Dealer for Slingshot, Cabrinha, NP Surf & JP Australia

Postby MikeYQM » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:44 pm

Rando1994 wrote:I have the 4/3 npx zealot with the smooth skin or glideskin or whatever they call it...would NEVER buy it again. Got a fingernail hole the first time i put it on. Since then three more, all near the upper chest and neck area. Likewise in the calf area too. The smooth neoprene is so delicate it can't take any pressure point or it tears immediately. I have a 3/2 body glove that's 12 years old without a single tear. The npx will be lucky to make it through this season. I will NOT be buying npx in the future. I heard hyper flex has a better durability... :evil:
Maybe it's time to cut your nails? Seriously, the outer material in smooth skin can be a bit more delicate, but I've never gotten a hole in one. Not by donning, dragging or tumbling. Just be a bit carefull not to pull it on with your nails and you'll be fine. Kiters need smooth skin/semi dry. Unlike scuba or surfing we are out of the water most of the time, so we need a different suit. I'm not going to wear my hockey helmet kiteboarding...

Remember, use your fingers, not your nails... wouldn't want to break a nail getting into your suit would you?

Rando1994
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tampa bay
Favorite Beaches: East beach at fort desoto
Gear: Ozone zephyr, ocean rodeo rise, mako king
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Rando1994 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:40 pm

You funny guy...I don't have nails...always chewed off. Problem is the smooth material. Never seen anything so fragile in a wetsuit. I didn't even mention it in my earlier post, but the seams where the smoothskin mates to the other materials, knee pads, lower chest panel, all are starting to separate. Again, I'll be amazed if this poorly conceived item lasts the winter. Just say no to the NPX Zealot!

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:10 pm

Been wearing wetsuits for 25 years now; windsurfing/kiting. The NPX Zealot is the best suit I have ever owned...have recommended to others and they agree. Have worn Promotion, O'neill, NP 5000 series, and others....
steve

Return to “Kitesurfing”