All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Different style of riding wave?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:42 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I am an inland rider mostly but travel to the ocean a couple times a year. My question is that when I have caught waves I really liked the feel of not moving the kite and letting it back stall making smaller turns or just traversing the face. I also have ridden the other way of moving kite up and down getting out front and coming back for a smack. Can the first style I mentioned only be done on smaller waves or is it just bad style?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Different style of riding wave?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:40 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Parking and riding with the kite fully depowered (drifting) is common. Guys that seek the surf feeling without the pull of the kite seek this type of riding. Its considered more "purist" to do this.

Can you do it on bigger waves? yes and a lot easier than smaller waves.

However wind angle as a lot to do with it. The more onshore it is the more you need to work the kite to stop it falling out of the sky. Cross shore is a lot easier for drifting and a slight cross off makes it real easy to drift the kite and ride.

I've done a few sessions lately in cross off head to double head conditions. I enjoy feeling the pull of the kite aswell . So i'd rip down the line lit up and powered both by wave and kite. Then when I got to the super clean section i'd chuck in a few carves to slow down, let go of the bar completely. and cruise down the line with my hands behind my head. just chillin on the wave face..... Awesome.

That's the cool thing about kiting in the waves. You can choose how you want to ride. depower and rider more like a surfer, power up and kitesurf waves, then boost on the way out aswell. Many levels of fun to be had!

[ 2 posts ]