wave riding etiquette

Forum for kitesurfers
alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Re: wave riding etiquette

Postby alexrider » Wed May 04, 2016 5:13 pm

Icharus wrote:
alexrider wrote:Simple rule: the oldest rider claims the wave. Respect for the elders.
Only kiting since 2003 ? I look forward to you giving way then!
I was already extremely old when I started. :baby:

Icharus
Medium Poster
Gear: foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Icharus » Wed May 04, 2016 5:35 pm

alexrider wrote:
Icharus wrote:
alexrider wrote:Simple rule: the oldest rider claims the wave. Respect for the elders.
Only kiting since 2003 ? I look forward to you giving way then!
I was already extremely old when I started. :baby:
I am only a little younger than Robbie Naish - i see he managed to break his pelvis - this has to be a message - maydays of boosting in 40knot winds may be over.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Wed May 04, 2016 6:03 pm

plummet wrote:
Short answer who ever turns onto the wave/swell first claims it. Whether tacking in or out
Great until you get people ride from 200meters in the opposite direction of the wave on the swell and then meet you after you have already been riding the break for 100+ meters and somehow claim the wave. Or the guys that bail last minute because their strategy of riding out back can't get them in the right position.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu May 05, 2016 4:04 am

foilholio wrote:
plummet wrote:
Short answer who ever turns onto the wave/swell first claims it. Whether tacking in or out
Great until you get people ride from 200meters in the opposite direction of the wave on the swell and then meet you after you have already been riding the break for 100+ meters and somehow claim the wave. Or the guys that bail last minute because their strategy of riding out back can't get them in the right position.
This works for cross on to cross off. You can't ride swell while tacking back out upwind.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Thu May 05, 2016 4:28 am

? No I meant by riding out back i.e. the circuit method, I don't think it is always the best method to get in the right position. Quite often especially in light winds I find slingshoting at the face works best. Guys working upwind on swell often miscalculate and can't make the extra ground up where as it's easy to just burn some upwind and head downwind. It fucks with their head a bit to sit on the inside waiting for waves. You can also sit on the outside and pick up the waves at their peaks too , which works well. If you want to get barreled, riding swell from way out isn't going to work at most breaks. The timing is nearly as tight as surfing, but a bit easier.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Thu May 05, 2016 5:59 am

It's so easy and obvious and fun when there's lots of set waves for all the riders and everyone knows the deal. A perfect rotation. If in doubt, wave your buddy in, there will be another good one in the next set in 5 minutes.

Then it gets more complicated when only a set every 20 minutes and a dozen hungry riders. You give way on 2 sets so that means no waves in an hour....so next set you stall at the top of point and take your wave even if it means burning the guy riding the swell from 500m out. So he gets pissed and does the same to the next guy.. Now it's anarchy. 6 kites crowding the point bumping canopies.

And now you have evolved from kiters to surfers! There's a reason the great waves of the world are hostile and angry places. ...scarce resource with too much competition. . ..and also because being an angry dick works....people give way....you get yours. And that's how one dick can wreck the whole great rotation for everyone.

What's that expression about being either a sheep or a wolf? ;-)

New surfers are surprised by the politics . Even worse for kiters used to the camaraderie of kiting and expecting the same in the surf.

But the good days are bliss....everyone is a buddy.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Thu May 05, 2016 6:30 am

Even if you go out side the circuit you should still take your turn and be sharing. Even guys that circuit can be hogs and hated as such. What kiting has over surfing is so many more waves are accessible and usable than paddle surfing. One world class break I went to had about 30 guys kiting on one break, aggro was a bit high with even well know pros dropping in, not to mention even regular surfers were still out in 20knots trying to get waves. Well 500m upwind was another wave which was actually better lol, hour on that and 4 other kiters came up and joined me..I have been to many world class places and had them to myself :-/ even found spots the regular surfers should have been at but none were there. Amazing with a good downwind ride what you can discover in some places.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu May 05, 2016 7:47 am

Well this thread needs some throth.

foilholio