HB lafayette 5.10
Firewire Vader 5.3
Kazuma Milkman Pro 5.9
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Tri or quad

Postby berdy02 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:20 pm

Hello, im riding a firewire vader. What configuration do you advice for side and side on condition and small/medium wave.

I ride usually in tri fins with my others boards and i heard that the vader is better in quad but i don t understand why

Thanks

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns

Re: Tri or quad

Postby lewmt » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:05 pm

I have exactly 1 session on a new Vader so take this FWIW. -0- I am riding mine in tri because that's what I've always ridden on a surfboard. I don't even know what I'm missing so it's great!!! Love it the way it rides!! If you're used to tri start there. Enjoy getting used to it & at some point get some quads, try them then & see what you like best. It's such a personal preference thing I doubt my opinion or anyone very else's will make your experience any better.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:27 pm

lewmt wrote:I have exactly 1 session on a new Vader so take this FWIW. -0- I am riding mine in tri because that's what I've always ridden on a surfboard. I don't even know what I'm missing so it's great!!! Love it the way it rides!! If you're used to tri start there. Enjoy getting used to it & at some point get some quads, try them then & see what you like best. It's such a personal preference thing I doubt my opinion or anyone very else's will make your experience any better.
:thumb: Preference, try both and see if you can tell the difference. I would go tri :D

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:52 am

Yeah, you really have to try it out and see what you like. On my VG I went from F6 plastic thruster (WAY too tight) > F4 Plastic quad (much better but still took too much effort to turn) > F4 fronts with some random trailer (better but broke free a lot on the lip) > to finally some honeycomb G3 thrusters from Aliexpress (GREAT, $27). I have to ride it more, but these may be the ticket.

You have the 5.3 Vader, so I'd try a small quad set and/or the G3 size thruster and see how it feels. Aliexpress has good fins for cheap so you can try without breaking the bank.

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire

Postby topmick » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:49 am

Rode my Vader as a tri-fin for the first couple of sessions & thought the board was OK, nothing special.
Then put the quads in & fell in love with this board.

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns

Postby lewmt » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:51 pm

Rode my Vader as a tri-fin for the first couple of sessions & thought the board was OK, nothing special.
Then put the quads in & fell in love with this board.
Nice! - which quads? Are you riding quads on other boards as well, typically? What did you feel changed in the ride?

So far have only been riding mine tri - but its time to explore what quads might feel like.

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire

Postby topmick » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:07 am

I'm using the Josh Mulcoy 5 fin set, I prefer quads for kiting as I find they go upwind much better than the tri.
If I was doing downwinders only, I'd probably just go with 3 fins. (If I could be bothered changing then out).

liv2surf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Waddell Creek, Scott Creek, Miramar-Half Moon Bay, Coyote Point, Pillar Point Harbor-HMB
Style: waves & foil
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters 7, 9, 11. Firewire Dominator surfboard (quad), no straps. SS SpacePickle adapted to foil (LF Foilfish foil), two foot hooks, front and back.

Postby liv2surf » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:43 am

prefer quads

mr moon
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shoreham (UK)
Favorite Beaches: Brandon Bay, Silver Sands & a few more
Style: Wave / Freeride
Gear: North, Firewire, Wainman, Ozone

Postby mr moon » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:34 pm

I rode thrusters before getting the Vanguard. For some reasons something didn't quite click with me in tri-mode, then I switched to quad and it literally kicked off... It's now my favourite board. I use 2 sets of fins, medium and large honeycomb, I find the larger fins to work better in choppy / messy waters as they improve drive and overall stability of the board in powered up conditions. The medium sized fins tend to be more playful, with less drive and that kind of skatey loose feel..
BLA BLA BLA BLA...
:surf:

Return to “Kitesurfing”