Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best Kites For Depower

Forum for kitesurfers
AmericanRonin
Medium Poster
Local Beach: New Hampshire Seacoast
Favorite Beaches: Silver Sands, Barbados. Cabarete. Corpus Christi.
Style: Wave Rider
Gear: 6' Crazyfly Strapless, BWS TDZ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best Kites For Depower

Postby AmericanRonin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:12 am

Hey everyone,

I haven't kited in years and am trying to get back into it since moving cross-country. The NH Seacoast and Southern Maine are my new home beaches and I'm looking to get into strapless waveriding as my main style these days (getting too old to be pulling stunts on twin-tips). I've got some experience wave riding with the original Wainman Rabbits and an '08 Ocean Rodeo Mako board, but I always felt like I wasn't so much surfing with a kite as I was being pulled by a kite in front of a wave. I could feel the energy of the wave beneath me to a degree, but most of the momentum very clearly came from the kite.

With that in mind, I'm interested to hear your thoughts on what a good wave riding kite with plenty of depower would be. I've been e-mailing with Greg from BRM about his Cloud series, which apparently are capable of damn-near complete depower, but he's of the opinion that they're better suited for someone riding a hydrofoil board than the 6' thruster I've recently purchased. Everyone seems to have their own thoughts on what makes a wave kite great, so I suppose my question is best answered by me laying down my own criteria: I'd like to be able to actually surf the wave, not just kite in front of it. I'm new to the discipline, so relaunch ability obviously has more importance to me than somebody who rarely splashes their kite. And the smaller the size of my quiver, the better.

For clarity, I'm a 94kg rider. Would appreciate any constructive insight anyone has!

halloi
Medium Poster
Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Best Kites For Depower

Postby halloi » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:18 pm

hey Ronin

I cant recommend the Best Cabo enough. If youre looking for the perfect wave kite its the way to go, De-power is insane and very low bar pressure, I consider the Cabo one of a few kites that doesnt fall out of the sky if you go directly towards it, it will sit in the air and drift down giving you time to put tension on the lines again. I go so far as to say that the Cabo saved my life when being way too far out on the ocean all by myself the wind died down considerably and the only thing getting me back to shore was how much this kite was trying its best to stay in the sky :thumb:

I recommend getting 2016 and up.

Also considering brand availability in your area you might want to look at the Cabrinha Drifter / Ozone Reo / BWS Aneema.
all made specifically for waves.

I have a quiver of best 2015 Cabo 11 / 9 / 7 and I got them at Real Watersports, they are currently waiting to get the new cabos in. :naughty:

review - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbicG2NwP0U

http://www.bestkiteboarding.com/en-us/2016-cabo

hope this helps a little!

best,
Constantin

Onthewater860
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sandy point, napatree, harbor of refuge RI
Style: Free ride
Gear: Slingshot rally 9,12 turbo 17
Placebo 140x43

Postby Onthewater860 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:22 pm

I have only Hurd awesome thing about slingshot sst! I have the rally's in 9,12 but absolutely think they are well built. Ss is planning a kite demo day this spring if your not drisuit riding now.

halloi
Medium Poster
Gear: kites and boards

Postby halloi » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:28 pm

Yeah back when I was wave kite shopping I checked out some reviews on the SST as well, only thing that I didnt like about it was that you couldnt safely self launch or self land due to how the leading edge keeps trying to lift off in stronger winds when parked on the beach. other than that looks like a solid wave kite! slingshot might have changed that problem in newer versions of the SST, not sure.

PS: and yeah, putting sand on the kite is an option but its still an issue I can do without ; )

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:11 pm

AmericanRonin wrote:Hey everyone,

I haven't kited in years and am trying to get back into it since moving cross-country. The NH Seacoast and Southern Maine are my new home beaches and I'm looking to get into strapless waveriding as my main style these days (getting too old to be pulling stunts on twin-tips). I've got some experience wave riding with the original Wainman Rabbits and an '08 Ocean Rodeo Mako board, but I always felt like I wasn't so much surfing with a kite as I was being pulled by a kite in front of a wave. I could feel the energy of the wave beneath me to a degree, but most of the momentum very clearly came from the kite.

With that in mind, I'm interested to hear your thoughts on what a good wave riding kite with plenty of depower would be. I've been e-mailing with Greg from BRM about his Cloud series, which apparently are capable of damn-near complete depower, but he's of the opinion that they're better suited for someone riding a hydrofoil board than the 6' thruster I've recently purchased. Everyone seems to have their own thoughts on what makes a wave kite great, so I suppose my question is best answered by me laying down my own criteria: I'd like to be able to actually surf the wave, not just kite in front of it. I'm new to the discipline, so relaunch ability obviously has more importance to me than somebody who rarely splashes their kite. And the smaller the size of my quiver, the better.

For clarity, I'm a 94kg rider. Would appreciate any constructive insight anyone has!
Have a look at
www.switchkites.com have a look and read at the Element V5 great kites!
or Ozone Reo V4...
cheers dude

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:22 pm

For surf application with a lot of depower and wonderful drift, I would recommend you single-strutt kites like 2012 Airush One (i have in 9m and 6m) or more recently North Mono for example. Their very light weight and superb agility is appreciated in waves (and overall for people not looking at speed or upwind angle only).

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:57 am

I love my Core Section wave kites. Immediately put a smile on my face when I demoed the 9. Made riding a wave so easy. They really improved my riding. Super light, smooth, agile, phenomenal drifting, great bar feel to control the kite even fully depowered and lines begin to go slack. Small, light, clean bar.

6m and 9m quiver. Riding a 2016 5'2 North Whip. Awesome combo! I'm not as heavy as you.

Demo whatever you can though. Wave kites are awesome these days.

AmericanRonin
Medium Poster
Local Beach: New Hampshire Seacoast
Favorite Beaches: Silver Sands, Barbados. Cabarete. Corpus Christi.
Style: Wave Rider
Gear: 6' Crazyfly Strapless, BWS TDZ

Postby AmericanRonin » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:23 am

Thanks for your input everyone. I actually managed to score a deal on a pre-owned 2016 BWS TDZ, so I went ahead and bought that. Zerogee, I actually looked at the Core Sections. They got some really great reviews on other forums and web pages, but the cost of ownership for the Section was prohibitive for me. To get a new kite with bar and lines would've cost twice as much as I've spent on a one-year-old lightly used TDZ, a harness, and a 6' board so far.

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:36 pm

Hi Ronin,
I´ve owned quite a few wave specific kites during the last four years or so (I only ride strapless waveboards).
I would NOT recommend any strutless or single strut models if you´re really looking for very good depower (which is actually key if you want to "surf" without kite impact). I´ve used Clouds, the Voyager II by Storm Kites and the LF Solo. They´re lacking a lot of depower compared to 3-strut wave kites like Reo, Neo, Religion or Drifter (I´ve had all of them). The only exception really is the North Mono.
So I´d recommend to go for any of the wave-specific models with three struts. My personal reference is the Reo by Ozone. It doesn´t have the best depower compared to some if it´s competitors (still enough, though), but it´s overall behaviour is my favourite (particularly due to it´s agility and fast turning). For me, the best depower by far is offered by Cabrinha´s Drifter.
I wouldn´t go for a model older than 2 years. From my point of view, the wave kite characteristics have really improved over the last years.
Anyway, you´ll have to try and test...
Have fun!

Return to “Kitesurfing”