Favorite Beaches: boracay
Style: surf
Gear: 2007 rev
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Modern wave kite

Postby al heginbotham » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:59 am

Hi could you guys help me please? I've just started kiting again, havnt done it since 2007 and I have made my mind up that strapless is the way for me, I have plenty of surf experience and after 4 sessions I'm gybeing ok it's not pretty but I'm doing 8 out of 10. I'm currently riding slingshot rev kites(2007) and intend to buy a dedicated wave kite(s) is the difference between the new wave kites and what I have really that different? The revs seem ok, turn quick, pretty stable, but possibly a bit to much pull when trying to surf at the kite in a cross on. Honest opinions please from those with wave kites, thanks in advance.

ciscokitesurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Altona
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: Neo

Re: Modern wave kite

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:30 am

we have so many wave kites. I said NEO are the best, someone else will say REO, BWS, WAVE, SST and the list goes on. Buy a used wave kite two years old and used it until you know what you want. Do you want a kite the 1st better upwind than drifting.How much are you are willing to pay for a kite. Fone kite are very expensive. Would you buy online or brick shop? You need to tell us what sort of winds you have at your local spot. If my local beach has always
onshore wind i would prefer a kite that takes me upwind better than a kite that drifts amazing but the upwind sucks. I am looking forward to read everyone comments.

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:46 am

ciscokitesurfer wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:30 am
we have so many wave kites. I said NEO are the best, someone else will say REO, BWS, WAVE, SST and the list goes on. Buy a used wave kite two years old and used it until you know what you want. Do you want a kite the 1st better upwind than drifting.How much are you are willing to pay for a kite. Fone kite are very expensive. Would you buy online or brick shop? You need to tell us what sort of winds you have at your local spot. If my local beach has always
onshore wind i would prefer a kite that takes me upwind better than a kite that drifts amazing but the upwind sucks. I am looking forward to read everyone comments.
I think you accurately captured the issue.

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:46 am

Al, would the folks at your local spot ride?

al heginbotham
Rare Poster
Local Beach: isle of man

Postby al heginbotham » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:12 am

No one rides a wave kite locally, they're all strapped winds are average 20mph when the waves are just getting good and conditions are cross on. Thanks for the replys but are the modern wave kites really that much different than what I'm riding?

al heginbotham
Rare Poster
Local Beach: isle of man

Postby al heginbotham » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:14 am

When I say strapped I mean they all ride twin tips none of them are interested in the waves as a surfing point of view

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:16 pm

Yes, pretty much every wave kite is going to be significantly different from your revs. Those were a classic Waroo style 5 strut all rounder from the days before delta kites. They were higher aspect, as the fashion at the time was more air than wave. They will pull too hard and drift poorly compared to anything in the wave segment from the last few years.

The intro of the delta designs like the F-one, and then everyone else, shaped kite design for a couple generations after your revs and introduced better stability, drift, depower and a lighter three strut platform. The wave segment eventually got a bit more boxy in outline from there and use less and less dacron, improving turning response and bar feel. That is two decent steps in performance. 2007 was a decade ago! Almost halfway back in the sports history! Look at other slingshot kites from that era. Even the fuel had not fully matured in 2007 and made huge advances in 2009.

Almost any lei kite can pull off a little crossover, but if you're decided that strapless riding is your mainstay, you're better off with a kite better suited to the job.

Your kites are really old, so anything new will feel like an upgrade. might as well restrict your search to the wave segment. There are plenty and it should not be hard to find something from the last few years at a bargain.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:27 am

Time to pimp some brands:
BWS - has carried the rev forward sort of in his kites, try one.
SS wave kite -same company now better at wave kites
Ozone REO - one of the first praised for taking drift to a new level, still good i believe
Best cabo - also known to drift great
BRM cloud - Personal fave, drifts like nothing else, ok upwind but not super. Good enough for me in side-on.

alfredo68
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Style: wave
Gear: blade AR wave

Postby alfredo68 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:32 pm

BWD wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:27 am
Time to pimp some brands:
BWS - has carried the rev forward sort of in his kites, try one.
SS wave kite -same company now better at wave kites
Ozone REO - one of the first praised for taking drift to a new level, still good i believe
Best cabo - also known to drift great
BRM cloud - Personal fave, drifts like nothing else, ok upwind but not super. Good enough for me in side-on.
Any references on airush wave kite?

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:49 am

Airush? Haven't seen it in the flesh, sorry

Return to “Kitesurfing”