Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, St. Peter Ording
Style: free/wave
Gear: ❤️Core/Carved❤️Forever❤️
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Modern wave kite

Postby DWX » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:32 pm

Sonnyrider, yes, we got some waves, good enough for practice. No one eye but still decent. We even surf! Certainly enough to demo.

I said I'm not familiar with tech specs, nor do I care. I think I said that 🤔 Tech talk is so boring and unsexy and makes you sound like dweebs. Sorry! Just trying to introduce some aesthetics and maybe alert you to the fact this isn't interesting to the ladies!

The original question was if he should bother buying a wave kite and my sense is, he can use an Allrounder wave for starters. It seems to me there are pure wave kites and Allrounders with good wave abilities. There is a difference. Correct me if I'm wrong. Just to claim wave supplanted air, like Starsky did (and we have an old score to settle) is pretty silly, sorry, given some serious developments in boosters. Even I, an illiterate, know that!

BigZ, why do you bother responding to my comment and even quote it in its entirety? Sounds like you got sensitive... Sorry, o didn't mean to offend you. And I specified my serious limitations, so not sure what offended you, big man.

You all pretty uptight for wave riders. Maybe chill a little, it's not THAT important...

Don't forget to have fun, guys🤙

MrWolf
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Woodies Point
Gear: 2016 North Vegas + 2016 Airush Razors
2016 Airush Livewire 140 + 2016 North Wam

Postby MrWolf » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:22 am

Hi OP,

Hands down the Airush Wave. Used to ride some revs...but AGES ago. They are apples and oranges to be honest.
You have plenty of surf experience so with the modern wave kites you will have an absolute joy.
The response of the kite, turning speed, the upwind ability and how your kite feels like an extension of your board riding, not taking it over.

I have tried the Section and Section 2 for 3 x 4 hour sessions - didn't meet my expectations of speed and drift that is ideal for wave riding.
I felt the lethargic feeling that Mike dubs was describing from his experience going from Waves to Sections then back to Waves.

If you start listening to DWX who recommended the Free, you are looking into more Delta-Hybrid 3 strut, low aspect, gruntier kites.
You will definitely get the lift and "too much pull" you didn't like about your Rev.

hope that helps from a rider who has actually tried all of these kites.

You are on Isle of Man - I am sure there is a someone with a airush wave kite in your area - sonny and mike look like they are both from the UK as well.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:56 am

DWX wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:32 pm
Just to claim wave supplanted air, like Starsky did
Your reading comprehension sucks

DWX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Travel only

Postby DWX » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:59 am

MrWolf wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:22 am
Hi OP,

Hands down the Airush Wave. Used to ride some revs...but AGES ago. They are apples and oranges to be honest.
You have plenty of surf experience so with the modern wave kites you will have an absolute joy.
The response of the kite, turning speed, the upwind ability and how your kite feels like an extension of your board riding, not taking it over.

I have tried the Section and Section 2 for 3 x 4 hour sessions - didn't meet my expectations of speed and drift that is ideal for wave riding.
I felt the lethargic feeling that Mike dubs was describing from his experience going from Waves to Sections then back to Waves.

If you start listening to DWX who recommended the Free, you are looking into more Delta-Hybrid 3 strut, low aspect, gruntier kites.
You will definitely get the lift and "too much pull" you didn't like about your Rev.

You are on Isle of Man - I am sure there is a someone with a airush wave kite in your area - sonny and mike look like they are both from the UK as well.
Sounds fair! And just about right.

What happens when the wind drops? Will the Airush wave get you out of a sticky situation and will it relaunch instantly?

Thanks for weighing in. Glad someone tried them all.

DWX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Travel only

Postby DWX » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:02 am

PS Mr. Wolf, did you try Section2 without the extensions? Or normal length? How does it feel?

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:12 am

MrWolf wrote:

didn't meet my expectations of speed and drift that is ideal for wave riding.
Reading comprehension

MrWolf
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Woodies Point
Gear: 2016 North Vegas + 2016 Airush Razors
2016 Airush Livewire 140 + 2016 North Wam

Postby MrWolf » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:17 am

The Original Poster has kited from 2002 to 2007 - according to his post and profile.
Any modern kite is going to relaunch instantly based on his point of reference and background with 2, 4, and 5 line kites with C-kites and Bridled SLE kites.

I prefer try gear on stock standard. The Core Section 2 on the stock 24m lines back to back with the Airush Wave with their stock 24m lines. Wave toasts it.

Dropping down the Core line lengths down would speed it up but you can do the same to the Wave and toast it again.

I prefer to ride 21m thats the Airush bar can adjust to giving the best combo of low end power strokes, speed/response, and a bit faster rigging/derigging (personal preferences) :thumb:

SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: A muddy estuary 40 miles from home called Weston super mare.
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados, Sardinia
Style: Strapless surfboard & strapless foiling
Gear: Airush Wave 7, 9, 10, Ultra v2's 7, 10, 14 and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds, 5.5, 7, 9, 12, Varial X 14m

Firewire Evo Helium 5'3" , Airush Converse 6'. Shinn Mega k carbon with a 75cm mast. Building a 120 carbon pocket board
Brand Affiliation: I like the build & ethics and kites from Airush. I've had Ozone, Liquid Force, PLKB, Flexifoil

Postby SonnyRider » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:05 am

DWX wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:59 am

What happens when the wind drops? Will the Airush wave get you out of a sticky situation and will it relaunch instantly?
If you want instant relaunch then it's delta all the way. The Waves are pretty good at relaunch, but you do need some wind. Only time I have issue is when it gets swamped by a wave and there's water on top of the canopy.
I've never had any of my Waves not relaunch though

SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados, Sardinia
Gear: Airush Wave 7, 9, 10, Ultra v2's 7, 10, 14 and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds, 5.5, 7, 9, 12, Varial X 14m

Firewire Evo Helium 5'3" , Airush Converse 6'. Shinn Mega k carbon with a 75cm mast. Building a 120 carbon pocket board
Brand Affiliation: I like the build & ethics and kites from Airush. I've had Ozone, Liquid Force, PLKB, Flexifoil

Postby SonnyRider » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:10 am

MrWolf wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:17 am
The Original Poster has kited from 2002 to 2007 - according to his post and profile.
Any modern kite is going to relaunch instantly based on his point of reference and background with 2, 4, and 5 line kites with C-kites and Bridled SLE kites.

I prefer try gear on stock standard. The Core Section 2 on the stock 24m lines back to back with the Airush Wave with their stock 24m lines. Wave toasts it.

Dropping down the Core line lengths down would speed it up but you can do the same to the Wave and toast it again.

I prefer to ride 21m thats the Airush bar can adjust to giving the best combo of low end power strokes, speed/response, and a bit faster rigging/derigging (personal preferences) :thumb:
I do like my 9 Wave on 20m lines. I have an 18m set I'd like to try with it.

SonnyRider
Medium Poster

Postby SonnyRider » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:22 am

MrWolf wrote:
Hi OP,

Yeah, agreed, the gruntier pull of a delta is not what you want. I do know a few that do tho' and they are wrong ;)
If you're in straps, you can get away with a grunty kite. But if you're strapless, it's the last thing you want IMO

Isle of Man isn't close to me or Mike. If he were, I would be happy to let him have a go. Always happy to try and convert people :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”