Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Modern wave kite

Forum for kitesurfers
SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: A muddy estuary 40 miles from home called Weston super mare.
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados, Sardinia
Style: Strapless surfboard & strapless foiling
Gear: Airush Wave 7, 9, 10, Ultra v2's 7, 10, 14 and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds, 5.5, 7, 9, 12, Varial X 14m

Firewire Evo Helium 5'3" , Airush Converse 6'. Shinn Mega k carbon with a 75cm mast. Building a 120 carbon pocket board
Brand Affiliation: I like the build & ethics and kites from Airush. I've had Ozone, Liquid Force, PLKB, Flexifoil

Re: Modern wave kite

Postby SonnyRider » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:25 am

Mike, didn't you go from Waves to Section for a year? Now back on Waves?

the grass wasn't any greener in Core?

DWX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Travel only
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, St. Peter Ording
Style: free/wave
Gear: ❤️Core/Carved❤️Forever❤️
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby DWX » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:13 am

Starsky wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:16 pm
Yes, pretty much every wave kite is going to be significantly different from your revs. Those were a classic Waroo style 5 strut all rounder from the days before delta kites. They were higher aspect, as the fashion at the time was more air than wave. They will pull too hard and drift poorly compared to anything in the wave segment from the last few years.

The intro of the delta designs like the F-one, and then everyone else, shaped kite design for a couple generations after your revs and introduced better stability, drift, depower and a lighter three strut platform. The wave segment eventually got a bit more boxy in outline from there and use less and less dacron, improving turning response and bar feel. That is two decent steps in performance. 2007 was a decade ago! Almost halfway back in the sports history! Look at other slingshot kites from that era. Even the fuel had not fully matured in 2007 and made huge advances in 2009.

Almost any lei kite can pull off a little crossover, but if you're decided that strapless riding is your mainstay, you're better off with a kite better suited to the job.

Your kites are really old, so anything new will feel like an upgrade. might as well restrict your search to the wave segment. There are plenty and it should not be hard to find something from the last few years at a bargain.
This post is complete BS!

To the original question:

Contemporary wave and air kites were developed simultaneously, but wave is a specialty kite, air isn't. Most young riders don't know anything else.

From what I've seen, I think your instincts are correct that the current wave kites are a lot like your oldie.

No idea really what kites were like back in 2007 ( I think it was the year Britney put out "Piece of me" & Paris shot "my new BFF," -- my range of reference for the year), but from the museum pieces I see them fly in California, the old kites were more like contemporary wakestyle and pure wave kites. I call them kites on PMS, moody bitches.

Pure wave is just for pros riding really big waves and wakestyle kites are just for wakestyle, probably not what you want, since you already got that. Pros can fly a shower curtain. But we aren't all pros.

So I agree with most guys here, go for a three strut (the Free from Core) bc they are the most versatile, good natured, sweet babes out there. You also want to go upwind and those special wake and wave kites can't do that very well.

All that said, a good rider can handle ANY kite, just like a good gentleman can handle any moody lady.

Hang loose😘🤙❤️

Dumb blond (I have no clue about the tech specs; these are just my observations of other kiters & what I know from having tried the entire range from Core, starting w GTS, XR, Free, etc)

PS Whatever you do, don't listen to wannabe Starsky. He got it all wrong. (Typical incompetent liberal who split from his normal self & is terrorizing the world with some Tyler Durden-type fantasy warrior bs)

mike dubs
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Style: Surf
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's

Postby mike dubs » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:20 am

Sonnyrider,

That's correct, I did but couldn't get on with them. Personally found them heavier feeling and slower/less nimble in the turn. So kicked myself and went back to Waves, but instead of 9/7/5 I went 8/6 which is working great. I don't bother now unless it's 20+mph with waves so it's now an easier choice as to what I rig.

Mike

SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados, Sardinia
Gear: Airush Wave 7, 9, 10, Ultra v2's 7, 10, 14 and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds, 5.5, 7, 9, 12, Varial X 14m

Firewire Evo Helium 5'3" , Airush Converse 6'. Shinn Mega k carbon with a 75cm mast. Building a 120 carbon pocket board
Brand Affiliation: I like the build & ethics and kites from Airush. I've had Ozone, Liquid Force, PLKB, Flexifoil

Postby SonnyRider » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:28 am

Thanks Mike. I guess once you've found a good kite (Waves in our case) everything else just isn't the same ;)

DWX
Frequent Poster

Postby DWX » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:21 am

Anyone tried Airush Wave and Core Free? Section 2 is apparently best w/out extensions. Anyone tried all three? It's hard to compare between brands; most ppl stick with what they know best. Cheers 🤙

Jackie Treehorn
Medium Poster

Postby Jackie Treehorn » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:39 am

DWX wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:21 am
Anyone tried Airush Wave and Core Free?
I've ridden an airush wave and a slingshot rev. The two kites are nothing alike. One drifts well but isn't great for jumping. The other jumps ok but doesn't like having slack lines and pulls far too hard to ride waves effectively. Starsky was spot on with the differencs.

SonnyRider
Medium Poster

Postby SonnyRider » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:06 am

I've not tried the Core Free or Session.

But the Airush Wave had some small changes over the years.

My first 9 Wave was a 2013, really, really nice kite. Nice drift, pivotal turning, without pulling you off. You know where it's at, at all times. Medium/Light bar pressure. Goes upwind really well. Good on a TT. I used it mainly on TT for the first couple years with a few sessions over into surfboard riding.
My go to kite, even if it meant I was underpowered.
I weighed 97kgs and could hang onto it in the high 30's
Good boosting as well. It was a good Wave kite, that had some good freeride traits that worked well with a TT

Earlier this year, I bought a 2017 9 Wave and it drifts better, turns very similar, goes up wind very well. 99% surfboard use now and I love it. I weigh a few kg less. Less freeride and more of a Wave kite now. Still can be used for freeride.
I find the drift on it really good. I can kill off all the power and use the board to surf the wave. Slack lines are not a problem for the Waves.
Sits just off the middle of the window, edge it and the kite pushes forward, for me it does what I want. I can kill off the power very easily, I love it. My GF on the other hand isn't so keen on either of my 9 Waves. She likes the 2015 7 Wave I have though. She rides Diamonds and has recently got herself a 9m Union 3. She does always comment on how well the Waves drift tho' esp the slack line control.

My skills have improved over the years, as you would expect. I love the Wave, it's my go to kite.

I was tempted by the Core Session, but not able to get a demo, mind you I didn't try that hard.
Plus seeing someone go from Waves to Core and back to Waves again, kinda has helped me stay where I am, happy with my kite.

DWX
Frequent Poster

Postby DWX » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:20 pm

Thanks for responding!

My question still remains though: how do the Free & the Section compare to other avg allround "wave" kites like the Airush Wave? Anyone? Maybe some magazine will do a comp or has done?

Too bad you can't get a Core demo. The US distributor is so lame. Come to Germany next summer and you'll get to test them all.

🤙😘

SonnyRider
Medium Poster

Postby SonnyRider » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:27 pm

You're welcome.

The Airush Wave isn't an av allround "wave" kite. It's a Wave kite, that can be used with a TT. 2017 was definitely more Wave orientated over previous years. And it shows.
To me your comment makes it sound like it's a delta style of kite and it most definitely is not :) (or am I being oversensitive?) :lol:

There are no waves in Germany tho?

BigZ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Central California Coast
Favorite Beaches: Jalama Beach
Style: Surf
Gear: Wave kites,
Surfboards, surfboards, and more surfboards ...

Did I say surfboards ?

Postby BigZ » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:54 pm

If any post is a complete BS it is yours DWX. If you even are a real person - not a troll f@#&ing with us - you are completely clueless and full of it.

DWX wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:13 am
Starsky wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:16 pm
Yes, pretty much every wave kite is going to be significantly different from your revs. Those were a classic Waroo style 5 strut all rounder from the days before delta kites. They were higher aspect, as the fashion at the time was more air than wave. They will pull too hard and drift poorly compared to anything in the wave segment from the last few years.

The intro of the delta designs like the F-one, and then everyone else, shaped kite design for a couple generations after your revs and introduced better stability, drift, depower and a lighter three strut platform. The wave segment eventually got a bit more boxy in outline from there and use less and less dacron, improving turning response and bar feel. That is two decent steps in performance. 2007 was a decade ago! Almost halfway back in the sports history! Look at other slingshot kites from that era. Even the fuel had not fully matured in 2007 and made huge advances in 2009.

Almost any lei kite can pull off a little crossover, but if you're decided that strapless riding is your mainstay, you're better off with a kite better suited to the job.

Your kites are really old, so anything new will feel like an upgrade. might as well restrict your search to the wave segment. There are plenty and it should not be hard to find something from the last few years at a bargain.
This post is complete BS!

To the original question:

Contemporary wave and air kites were developed simultaneously, but wave is a specialty kite, air isn't. Most young riders don't know anything else.

From what I've seen, I think your instincts are correct that the current wave kites are a lot like your oldie.

No idea really what kites were like back in 2007 ( I think it was the year Britney put out "Piece of me" & Paris shot "my new BFF," -- my range of reference for the year), but from the museum pieces I see them fly in California, the old kites were more like contemporary wakestyle and pure wave kites. I call them kites on PMS, moody bitches.

Pure wave is just for pros riding really big waves and wakestyle kites are just for wakestyle, probably not what you want, since you already got that. Pros can fly a shower curtain. But we aren't all pros.

So I agree with most guys here, go for a three strut (the Free from Core) bc they are the most versatile, good natured, sweet babes out there. You also want to go upwind and those special wake and wave kites can't do that very well.

All that said, a good rider can handle ANY kite, just like a good gentleman can handle any moody lady.

Hang loose😘🤙❤️

Dumb blond (I have no clue about the tech specs; these are just my observations of other kiters & what I know from having tried the entire range from Core, starting w GTS, XR, Free, etc)

PS Whatever you do, don't listen to wannabe Starsky. He got it all wrong. (Typical incompetent liberal who split from his normal self & is terrorizing the world with some Tyler Durden-type fantasy warrior bs)

Return to “Kitesurfing”