Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cushiest pads? Or different construction?

Forum for kitesurfers
or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Cushiest pads? Or different construction?

Postby or6 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:26 am

Hi,

I am about to order a new board, and will probably order it in carbon. I've tested the board, loved it, all good. It is, obviously, rather stiff and uncomfortable, so I want to get the best pads available. Preferably pads in light colours, since a carbon board is rather hard to spot during a winter session.

Any suggestions for the pads?

Or...I could get the normal construction, which is more flexible, more comfortable. Also heavier, but identical shape. Haven't tested that one yet.

Looking at weight, strapless jumping, durability.... What would you do?

Buy light, and strong, but uncomfortable, or 400 grams heavier, but softer and more comfortable?

Looking forward to your opinions😎,

Or6

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Re: Cushiest pads? Or different construction?

Postby windmaker » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:39 am

???? You can buy a carbon board that is light, strong and comfortable. If properly built a carbon board will retain it's flex characteristics!

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:18 am

Hi windmaker,

I am not saying it wasn't a good ride, in fact, I loved it (I do have to test it in high wind conditions) I'd say it has good flex. It surfed very well, and was easy to control. Going in a straight line, through serious chop, though, you feel every bounce...are you saying that that shouldn't happen?

Or6

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:59 am

Heya,

I don't think the pads would eliminate this. It is a trade off with a stiff board unfortunately. But you'll always reach for a lighter board.
Black color is a bugger even with a white pads, what happens when the board is fins up?

Hm, decisions...

or6
Very Frequent Poster

Postby or6 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:46 am

Exactly, downunder, decisions, decisions. :-).

If I go for the carbon version, I'll want the thickest pads possible, should make some difference. Unless somebody here tells me otherwise, I think I'll get WFMG pads. They look good, have bright colours, and are made for kiteboarding. Don't know about the cushiest.

I'll throw some bright stickers on the bottom...black sucks indeed.

I'll let you guys know, but I'm still open for suggestions for the best pads.

Hopefully some time next week I'll be able to test the normal construction versus the carbon, maybe even back to back. That would be best.

peppedurso
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Sicily / Cape Town
Style: Wave Riding and Freestyle Strapless
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters
Appletree Malus Domestica 4'11 / Luke's Leaf 4'9 / Appleflap noseless 5'1
Brand Affiliation: Appletree/Cabrinha

Postby peppedurso » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:12 pm

Hi or6,

in the last 6 months I've been riding Appletree Klokhuis noseless of various sizes (5'0 mainly but 5'2 and 5'3 as well) in regular kite construction and in the last 2 months an Appleflap 5'1 full carbon. I have noticed obviusly a big difference between the two constructions, but after a couple of session on the full carbon I really didn't want to go back on the "normal" construction, so much more lively, light and fun! It's really stiff, and not so confortable without front pad. Found the new Da Kine 3 pieces front pad amazing though, a lot of grip and cushion, definitely the most soft I've found on a surf shop. If you're planning to put some wax as well the Gorilla Grip 2 piece front pad it's not bad either but thinner and more rigid.

cheers Peppe

or6
Very Frequent Poster

Postby or6 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:35 am

Pepper, great answer, thank you!!!

Now to convince myself I need to spend the money on the carbon version. :-)

BigZ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Central California Coast
Favorite Beaches: Jalama Beach
Style: Surf
Gear: Wave kites,
Surfboards, surfboards, and more surfboards ...

Did I say surfboards ?
Has thanked: 0

Postby BigZ » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:48 am

or6 wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:46 am
Exactly, downunder, decisions, decisions. :-).

If I go for the carbon version, I'll want the thickest pads possible, should make some difference. Unless somebody here tells me otherwise, I think I'll get WFMG pads. They look good, have bright colours, and are made for kiteboarding. Don't know about the cushiest.

I'll throw some bright stickers on the bottom...black sucks indeed.

I'll let you guys know, but I'm still open for suggestions for the best pads.

Hopefully some time next week I'll be able to test the normal construction versus the carbon, maybe even back to back. That would be best.
Have you seen any top pro surfers or kite surfers riding stiff carbon boards? Ever wondered why ...

or6
Very Frequent Poster

Postby or6 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:56 am

Not really, they ride boards and kites for different reasons than I do. But I'll head your warning....I will test back to back. Now for some wind.

Return to “Kitesurfing”