tommeltot
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: .
Been thanked: 0

Re: What is your wave quiver?

Postby tommeltot » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:21 pm

South coast U.K. Dare I say it 64 kilos:
Ocean Rodeo Prodigy 7m and 9.5m. Mako Duke strapless.

ciscokitesurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Altona
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: Neo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:50 am

Neo 2015 5,7,9,12 + north wip 2017.

chalks
Rare Poster
Local Beach: UK south coast
Gear: Alpha 12m; Reos 5, 7 and 9. Surfboard and Moses foil

Postby chalks » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:02 pm

Another South coast UK rider. I am around 68 kilos and use wave kites- Religions- and have a 5, 7, 9 and 10.5. Bit of an overlap between the 9m and the 10.5m to be honest but don't want to give up the possibility of riding on lighter wind days so the 10.5 stays.

I ride strapless and have a 5'8'' custom. Suits me pretty well but I am very tempted by an H Evo.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:16 pm

windmaker wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:10 am

As so often people ended up listing the brand and model of their equipment (who cares) without actually explaining their choices or preferences.
Used to use a 5'8" fish for a lot of riding. Very nice 32L quad for small waves and chop, but then foiling happened and it went to the basement. I'll foil right up to the point its good on a 6'1" thruster. I tend bigger board and less kite. The thruster is 28L and just right in waves but bouncy in chop, but since foiling the thruster is only out in nice conditions.

Have a couple of strutless kites and a couple of delta strutted kites to go with. Usually will be on the strutless if I start on the foil and deltas for the windy/stormy/gusty stuff, but they cross over well enough when it happens.

21/17m lines

kite sizes are 9/6 delta's, 8.5 strutless and 6m two strut kite. Have a 7m C that works in the right conditions but haven't used it in a while.

scottnorby
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 210
Local Beach: WASHINGTON
HOOD RIVER
OREGON COAST
PISMO BEACH
LA VENTANA
Favorite Beaches: Northern Oregon coast downwinders
Gear: SPACESTICK - Foilsurfer - Wingsurfer
SPACESTICK- 5’3 MICRO convertible surf foil
NAISH - 2020 jet foils
SLINGWING V2
Tomo- Hydroshort
CHANNEL ISLAND SURFBOARDS - 6'8 bandit
FERAL wetsuits
Neil Pryde Armorskin wetsuits

Postby scottnorby » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:55 am

I agree with the post about “ who cares the brand “ unless its a unique material or concept.

Im 6 foot and weigh 200.
I ride 9 and 7 meter. Sometimes a 12.
Five six rounded squash with volume.
Cush skinned epoxy board
Wax mat traction set on every board
25 to 29 liters and a thick 36 liter light wind hull with the same outline as my other boards— but thicker.

Other boards in the past ranged from 6 to 6’4
All glass and epoxy chatter monsters. Cracked and smacked constantly. I cant go back to exoskeleton boards after having cush skinned boards.

Style— kitesurfing style is blahh. Kickflips and loops with the board between your legs.
Amazing stunts but not surfing.

Its true you can ride lit and be on a tiny board with little to no volume. Twin tip riding taught us all that. But a board with a good shape is amazing to ride. I prefer to feel the way a surfboard planes, carves, and accelerates.
Personal favorite is using the kite to get to and on the wave ( tow in) and then ride the board. No tow. Little to no kite power when riding the wave.
Seems that 95 percent of wave kiters are way over powered when actually on a wave face. I think there are surfers who converted to kiting. Or maybe learned at the same time. Converts seem to know that the biggest part of the wave surfing experience is lost when being pulled around the wave by the kite. More like cheating than real surfing. Its easy to spot a kiter who doesnt surf or know how to surf with only the power of the wave and gravity (not the kite) providing momentum.

Its a balancing act. Sometimes just a “kite on” and “kite off” feeling. But when the transfer from kite tow energy is gone and you feel the wave dynamics take over its truly surfing. Not just towing at a wave and smacking it and racing down the line in full tow.

—-smaller kites and a board with enough volume to be sufficient for surfing.

We may be a dying breed with all the foil madness. But my wife (who does not kite) summed it up while i was watching a foiling video.
“Why put shoes on at the beach. Why go in waves if you dont want to feel them”

We are a small group with limited venues for riding and weather variables galore.
But when the kite gets me on to a wave and i drop in full gravity and make the bottom turn i am very close to feeling the bliss of simple paddle in surfing.
But it is also true that it takes a long time to get here. Many many waves and even more mistakes.

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Postby piccio » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:55 am

religion 5 6 8 in north sardinia summer time 76 kg .board north proseries 5.8 epoxy 2014 that do not like so much ,some stiff in the wave ,good upwind...waiting to try something more balanced towards surfing, decent conditions 3 4 time a month .
live in rome winter time ,decent conditions 3 4 times a season .
mediterranean sea has always wind genereted waves ...not the maximum....miss living by the ocean with tide waves

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Postby BudhaNl » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:13 pm

Naish Pivot 5('16)/7('16)/9('17), just traded my Firewire Vanguard for a DSD Stallion. Both 5'2. I'm 82kg.

I ride on the Dutch Northsea coast where waves are only present when there's wind. NW wind can bring waves up to 4-5m (12/15 feet) but most of the time it's (way) less than that. Waves often don't hold much power so kite-assisted waveriding is almost always a must.

Chose the Pivots as I'm also riding a TT & neither have the budget nor the desire to have dual sets for jumping/freestyle & waves. Pivots do both well imho. DSD Stallion allows me to turn much more aggressively than the Vanguard. Also, the ride over chop is more comfortable as the feel is much softer. On top of that it is more stable so you can kind of cheat when gybing :). It is much more sensitive to fore/aft foot pressure than the Vanguard so I'm adjusting there after the 3 sessions I've done. Both are comparably quick.

Return to “Kitesurfing”