Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Dreamland (A Cabrinha Kitesurfing Film)

Postby Toby » Thu May 03, 2018 1:44 pm

Dreamland (A Cabrinha Kitesurfing Film)

DreamLand documents some of the finest kitesurfing on the planet. Keahi De Aboitiz and Moona Whyte, both multiple kitesurf world champions, turn their North Shore stomping ground waves into a playground.

Dream Land was shot & edited by Anders Krüger

www.cabrinhakites.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7fz6ltT4kE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7fz6ltT4kE

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: Dreamland (A Cabrinha Kitesurfing Film)

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu May 03, 2018 2:03 pm

some seriously critical hits as usual.. awesome

marioparacuru
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 60
Local Beach: Northeast, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Best wave spots in Ceará
Cape town
French Polynesia
Style: Strapless wave
Gear: More than 10 kites from different brands
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby marioparacuru » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:09 am

I find the movie kind of boring (with a few exceptions and nice barrels), with the traditional "kiter" style on waves, always going forward with a lot of pressure in the bar, far away from "surfing" the waves. The snaps are clearly overpowered pulling the rider out of the line in the end of each snap, repeating the same every hit. I didn't saw any bump (not even close to a vertical falling from the lip bump) or cut back cause the school these guys come from there's no "depower". I have seen much better on Instagram from some unknown not champ of anything freeriders.

Its easy to kite with lots of power (if you are serious rider) and sounds unnatural and artificial. As "pros" they could explore maneuver variation, going forward and backward exploring wave sections. There's so many different ways to snap (up, forward, backward, large, tight) but some extra depower is certainly required. This movie lack of style.

Since strapless freestyle become the focus for the brands and their market plan, the athletes are training mainly this and they kind of forgot about waves. Agreed, they do what "sell" nowadays. The only problem is that wave riding requires daily dedication and if you share your time doing anything else you probably can't be that good on waves.

I'm sure that most of kiters won't agree with my opinion. If you show me this movie 2 years ago probably I would be amazed. The same way I'm pretty sure that some others movies coming in the future will shut me up by bringing style and enormous evolution compared with what we have now in terms of the "kite wave strapless movies".

Watch WSL and other regular surf movies so after you do it and understand how surf really works, watch this kind of kite wave movie looks like kids learning how to play in the waves if we compare with professional surf athletes or dedicated freeriders.

I would give 7/10 for the movie cause the quality of the video production and perfect waves.

blacktip
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby blacktip » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:20 pm

Im backing you up Mario.
Look at the latest Tarifa strapless contest. These pro riders can ride however they want for all I care. There are some legit aerials you can do on a surfboard, launching off waves instead off having to slow down to go over them for example. But most of what theyre doing overthere in Tarifa is just pathetic. And the worst thing of all: companies are adjusting their wavekites for this nonsense freestyle. Wanna jump with your Drifter? take a Switchblade... damnit

Organising waveriding contest in offshore conditions in Cabo Verde or Mauritius is another thing. There simply is no place for SURFING in these conditions.

And please stop mentioning 'strapless' when riding a surfboard. There is no point in mentioning the obvious!

Return to “Kitesurfing”