Forum for kitesurfers
windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Re: Harness with Sliding spreader bar

Postby windmaker » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:20 pm

Some brands offer slider bars with special rope that has friction and takes a little effort to slide, this provides some stability unlike some dynema/metal ring combos which are super slippery.

Rojbrown
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 190lbs
Local Beach: Lake Mojave boat launch
Favorite Beaches: Lake Mohave AZ
SPI
Union Island
Style: Intermediate surf/beginner foil
Gear: Switch Helium 8/12/16
Hyperlink V1 12
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Rojbrown » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:44 pm

I've been using a J-Bar for a couple years now. I'm upgrading harness and see there are many options for a sliding spreader bar. Any feedback/recommendations as to which bars are working best? Primarily directional and foil these days. Thanks!

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:23 pm

I use the dynabar with a metal slider bar and regular style sliding hook....Works great and is basically bomb proof..

vela99
Frequent Poster
Weight: 74
Style: Wave Kitesurfing
Gear: North Neo 6, 8 & 11, Appletree Applepeeler 5 7" and Gong Lethal 5 6"

Postby vela99 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:08 pm

I own a Manera Exo harness with a classical hook which I use for kiting and windsurfing. To relief stress on my body when going switch stance or when surfing I let the harness rotate around my waist. It makes a considerable difference. I always wondered if this was an intended trait of this harness or if it just me or even as a result of being a bit too big for me.
In any case, it is very comfortable for me and I can use one harness for both kiting and windsurfing.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:41 pm

Dakine Vegas with a Dynabar spreader with just the dyneema rope, I run my chicken loop around it directly. I found the sliding hook feature unnecessary.

vela99
Frequent Poster
Weight: 74
Style: Wave Kitesurfing
Gear: North Neo 6, 8 & 11, Appletree Applepeeler 5 7" and Gong Lethal 5 6"

Postby vela99 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:05 pm

vela99 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:08 pm
I own a Manera Exo harness with a classical hook which I use for kiting and windsurfing. To relief stress on my body when going switch stance or when surfing I let the harness rotate around my waist. It makes a considerable difference. I always wondered if this was an intended trait of this harness or if it just me or even as a result of being a bit too big for me.
In any case, it is very comfortable for me and I can use one harness for both kiting and windsurfing.
I have found a test article in "ksurf" which confirms the sliding feature:

"The EXO has a fixed hook but is designed to twist a little in the waves around your body, because the Energy Dispersion Frame is flexible this doesn’t cause any issues. In fact, when the harness does move on your body it flexes and remains comfortable at all times."

In case you like this harness you can have one for all; windsurfing, kite, surfing and jumping.

I have no personal interest in the brand but quite like it.

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:51 am

Best I´ve ever experienced is:
Carbon spreader bar (rideengine 2016 model) with rope plus a Ronstan Orbit 20 block connected to a Cabrinha Fireball Bar´s QR (without the original Fireball piece).
Totally friction-less, super-smooth movement with minimal distance between the rope and the quick release. You don´t even notice that something is sliding along the rope.
Very simple setup with hardly any metal parts that can fail / corrode.

Before I used a conventional PU chicken loop directly connected to the rope. Fine at the beginning. But the PU material becomes "rough" after some hours of use, resulting in "sticking" on the rope and very uncomfortable jerking movement along the rope. Not good.

Doesn´t matter which harness, actually. As long as you can knot in a rope somewhere at two points.
These users thanked the author Onda for the post:
nixmatters (Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:16 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Henk
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands
Style: Wave, Foilkite, Regular
Gear: Speed5 15 + North 7 and 9
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Henk » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:01 pm

Onda wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:51 am
Best I´ve ever experienced is:
Carbon spreader bar (rideengine 2016 model) with rope plus a Ronstan Orbit 20 block connected to a Cabrinha Fireball Bar´s QR (without the original Fireball piece).
Totally friction-less, super-smooth movement with minimal distance between the rope and the quick release. You don´t even notice that something is sliding along the rope.
Very simple setup with hardly any metal parts that can fail / corrode.

Before I used a conventional PU chicken loop directly connected to the rope. Fine at the beginning. But the PU material becomes "rough" after some hours of use, resulting in "sticking" on the rope and very uncomfortable jerking movement along the rope. Not good.

Doesn´t matter which harness, actually. As long as you can knot in a rope somewhere at two points.
Hi Onda, nice approach! Can you maybe share a picture? Do you only use the top of the fireball bar's QR? That seems to be the same as an old Cabrinha leash connection... Do you use the Cabrinha bar or did you connect it to another bar (replaced the chickenloop)?

kiteswede
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Göteborg
Gear: F-one kite

Postby kiteswede » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:38 pm

Bought this spreader bar also and tried it, really nice I would say. If you do strapless surf, there is no reason to have hook. :)

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:38 pm

Once you go to rope you will never go back.

Return to “Kitesurfing”