Forum for kitesurfers
barrys3291
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

hooked or unhooked kiteloops

Postby barrys3291 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:57 pm

hey just started land some hooked kiteloops not very big ones and was going to try unhooked ones, how much more power and hard to control are they.

thanks

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:07 am

when crashing, unhooked loops are much softer, since you can let go of the bar.

Go slow, fly the kite behind the zenith and steer it down, like a downloop, then pop off and do a backflip, you will see it is easy!

Grab the bar like a heavy sword...one hand from the front one from behind.

See the videos on http://www.kiteforum.tv and pay attention how guys hold the bar during the loops.

Good luck!

jatkinson
Frequent Poster

Postby jatkinson » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:08 am

Have you learned raleys yet? If not try a few first.

I find unhooked easier that hooked in, I seem to take less abuse. Unhooked you are forced to commit and the kite loops tighter. Unhook Hold the bar with both hands on one side and hang on tight.

For the first few ride quite slow so you don't go too huge, gradually build up speed and height.

JJ

barrys3291
Rare Poster

Postby barrys3291 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:46 pm

thanks , so the best way to try my first one is to unhook both hands on the back of the bar, when the kite is at the bottom of the window pop and raily and hope for the best.

jatkinson
Frequent Poster

Postby jatkinson » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:22 pm

Pretty much. The slower you ride and the higher in the window your kite is the easier it should be. Remember to point your board downwind when you land and be prepared that your kite might make a second loop after landing.

doubleeuphic
Medium Poster

Postby doubleeuphic » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:22 pm

I just started unhooked kiteloops myself. Seemed real intimidating at first, but then one day I just said, screw it, its the right conditions, I have the right kite out and I am going to try it.

As said before, its all about commitment. Just ride downwind a bit, make sure your depower strap is at an optimal position, so your first one is not huge, unhook, I had my kite at about 60 degrees or something around there, and then as mentioned, grab the bar with both hands on one side only like a sword and then just start loading up until you feel that power about to come on, pop, bam, instant gratification. Landing is hard and fast but if all fails, just let go of the bar.

Hope that helps a bit. Just go out and try it. Also try unhooked railleys first, and then try the railley with the kiteloop.

Greg

Daesoo
Medium Poster

Postby Daesoo » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:04 am

Which side to kite loop back or front(downloop) to start with?

Return to “Kitesurfing”