Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kafka Wins 2008 La Ventana Classic

Postby experienced1 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:12 pm

Cabrinha’s Kafka Wins La Ventana Classic
kafka_podium.jpg
kafka_podium.jpg (78.99 KiB) Viewed 2983 times
Friday, Jan 24th saw 130 competitors descend upon La Ventana, Baja Sur, for the competition. The qualifying event was a 10.5 mile downwinder consisting of basically a beam to broad reach. The field of 130 consisted of a few windsurfers as well, ALL starting together. A windsurfer was easily the first to finish with the top 25 men advancing to the quarter finals.

Saturday the 25th saw the men’s racing quarter finals. The course was not your typical unwind, down wind course. It looked more like a boarder cross without obstacles. There was a relatively short upwind leg, a beam reach to a buoy, then three broad reaches around buoys then thru the finish to a buoy just off the beach and around again.
lvstart2.pg.jpg
lvstart2.pg.jpg (61.73 KiB) Viewed 2907 times
Twenty five men started this semi final heat which included, Jeff Kafka, the 2007 Cabrinha Race Series Champ with a 2nd at the US Nationals, Anthony Chavez the 2006 Cabrinha Race Series Champ with a first at the US Nationals, Jesse Richman who was 3rd at the US Nationals and also the “Jr” Champ, Chip Wasson the masters champ at the US Nationals, Sean Farley the Mexican Champ, and Mark the two time champ of the La Ventana Classic. After some very close racing, Jesse Richman pulled away at the last buoy to win. Jeff Kafka, Chip, Anthony and Farley also advanced to the final heat of eight riders.
lvbuoy.jpg
lvbuoy.jpg (72.78 KiB) Viewed 2906 times
In the men’s final, just before the start, a recreational kiter’s kite went down just upwind of the start. I think they should have postponed, but they didn’t. Well, the kiters who were racing made it over and around the downed kiters lines, but the windsurfer didn’t.
lvstart1.jpg
lvstart1.jpg (70.78 KiB) Viewed 2905 times
Sean Farley got a great start and traded the lead with Wasson with Anthony 3rd followed by Kafka and Jesse, with the distance among all 5 tightening throughout the race. As they approached the second to last buoy, Sean looked as though he had it won, but missed the buoy and was disqualified. Wasson then became the leader with Kafka gaining quickly, followed by Anthony and Jesse.
lvbuoy2.jpg
lvbuoy2.jpg (71.31 KiB) Viewed 2905 times
Wasson had the lead after the last buoy but was caught by Kafka about 10 yards from the finish!
lvkafka_finish.jpg
lvkafka_finish.jpg (87.91 KiB) Viewed 2906 times
The final results: Jeff Kafka 1st, Chip Wasson 2nd, Anthony Chavez 3rd and Jesse Richman 4th--a San Francisco Bay Area sweep!!!!! CONGRATS

Al-Kite-A
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Crissy Filed SF, Nor Cal
Style: freeride/race/wave
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo, HyperFlex, Ozone, SlingShot and Windy Devil

Re: Kafka Wins 2008 La Ventana Classic

Postby Al-Kite-A » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:50 am

I think I was the only guy form San Francisco that didn't make the trip. :( Maybe next year.
Glad the SF boys dominated. Field of 100+ and it still is Jeff, Chip and Anthony.

ikiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sebastian, Florida
Favorite Beaches: The Boof, LaVentana, Mexico ~ The Cove and Ego Beach in Hatteras OBX ~ The Inlet at Ft Pierce, Florida ~ Monster Hole in Sebastian, Florida
Style: Surf and free style
Gear: Freakdog Kites and boards and Amundson Boards. Always have my music when riding. H20 Audio protected.
Brand Affiliation: Sponsored by Freakdog Kites, Freestyle and H20 Audio

Postby ikiter » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:34 pm

No mention on who won the girls race?????

Tyrone Rabinowitz
Frequent Poster

Postby Tyrone Rabinowitz » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:56 pm

Paula Sonnenberg won the womens race on a Freak Dog EZE and Amundson (sp?) custom board . I overheard an official say she beat all other competitors by over a minute, including the Mens division. Her knowledge of sailing and racing was apparent. She had a difinitive lead before the 2nd bouy.
Attachments
paula_wins.jpg
paula_wins.jpg (17.1 KiB) Viewed 2546 times

ikiter
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: The Boof, LaVentana, Mexico ~ The Cove and Ego Beach in Hatteras OBX ~ The Inlet at Ft Pierce, Florida ~ Monster Hole in Sebastian, Florida
Gear: Freakdog Kites and boards and Amundson Boards. Always have my music when riding. H20 Audio protected.

Postby ikiter » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:03 pm

Tyrone Rabinowitz wrote:Paula Sonnenberg won the womens race on a Freak Dog EZE and Amundson (sp?) custom board . I overheard an official say she beat all other competitors by over a minute, including the Mens division. Her knowledge of sailing and racing was apparent. She had a difinitive lead before the 2nd bouy.
Thanks, was wondering if anyone noticed. I felt all alone in that race. Believe it or not, it was my first buoy race.

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:25 pm

ikiter wrote:
Tyrone Rabinowitz wrote:Paula Sonnenberg won the womens race on a Freak Dog EZE and Amundson (sp?) custom board . I overheard an official say she beat all other competitors by over a minute, including the Mens division. Her knowledge of sailing and racing was apparent. She had a difinitive lead before the 2nd bouy.
Thanks, was wondering if anyone noticed. I felt all alone in that race. Believe it or not, it was my first buoy race.
Congrats!

What was the wind blowing? Which EZE were you using? Good job on the racing skill set! Must be a natural!

Tyrone Rabinowitz
Frequent Poster

Postby Tyrone Rabinowitz » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:25 am

If memory serves she was on the 13m EZE. The wind was quite light during the mens race but seemed to pick up a little bit for the women but was still light. Her 1st tack confused me but made perfect sense once I saw the how she set herself up for the bouys. I figured she was a very experienced racer. The Freak Dog Team definitely has a ringer, experienced or not.
ikiter :yourock:

ikiter
Rare Poster

Postby ikiter » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:00 pm

Yes, I was on the 13 EZE. It was light when I first went out and I started my warm-up on a directional but when the wind increased a bit I ran in for a 128 twin tip board just before the start. My local knowledge of the wind in LaVentana and 25 years of yachting indeed helped with my win. I hope to race again soon to test my skills elsewhere.

Return to “Kitesurfing”