Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Day 2 - PKRA 2008 Mexico - Movistar Kiteboard World Cup

Postby Toby » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:19 pm

PKRA News:

Day 2 - PKRA 2008 Mexico - Movistar Kiteboard World Cup

Singles Elimination

The second day of the Movistar Kiteboard World Cup started out very nice with the onshore wind packing a speed of up to 20 knots which was slightly better than forecasted. The water was a little choppy plus the strong current made it more difficult for some of the competitors to land their tricks and stay in the box, particularly the women. Overall, the riders did well both in the freestyle event and in the racing competition.

There were four rounds of singles events splitting up the heat after the first round of elimination. The first heat started at 9:50 in the morning between Rocky Chatwell (US, Crazyfly) and Sebastien Garat (France, RRD) with Chatwell inching his way past the French champ.

Garat, who has been kiting for five years now was last years overall freestyle champion in another kiteboarding tour. Ironically, he was stopped on early by a PKRA tour veteran in the first heat but the French rider is hopeful that tomorrow’s games would push the luck on his side.

“I did not ride very well, so I lost in the first heat. The gusty condition made it difficult for me to do my tricks. In tomorrow’s double eliminations, I expect to win some heats and my goal is to go higher up the ladder as I could,” said Garat.

There were a total of eight heats fought in the first round of eliminations.
As expected, last year’s tour leaders made it to the second round including current world #13 Michael Schitzhofer (Austria, Naish) and current world #3 Youri Zoon (Netherlands, Slingshot). Zoon is actually back from last years knee injury, making his way up the standings beating three riders in a row including world #4 Alvaro Onieva (Spain, Best) in heat #13 before bowing down to world #2 Kevin Langeree (Netherlands, Naish) in heat #15.

PKRA judge Carlos Saez commented, “I’m really impressed with Youri’s performance who, despite suffering an injury last year is back there competing. Although I think he injured his knee again but he’s a tough guy. I’m really impressed how this guy is riding.”

Zoon actually managed to secure the third podium position despite his injury, beating Cesar Portas (Spain, North) in the loosers final.

Michael Schitzhofer (Naish) also played a really good game today and is worth noting, after beating countryman Julian Hosp and Marc Jacobs (New Zealand, North) in two consecutive heats before loosing to Langeree. When asked about how he feels loosing, this young Austrian rider said, “I lost but it’s okay, he’s the winner of the event, not too bad to loose against him.”

It was also very impressive to see what was happening between Aaron Hadlow (UK, Flexifoil) and Kevin Langeree and the people at the beach were very anxious to see these two go up against each other. They both had really good heats but it was a 3-2 decision in the end that favored Kevin’s solid riding power.

The women riders struggled frantically with the conditions which required an extra effort for them to land their tricks. The final heat saw Bruna Kajiya (Brazil, Best) going up against 14-year old world champion Gisela Pulido (Spain, Slingshot). Kajiya landed several good moves but not as solid as Gisela’s solid, powered landings. However, the young Spanish champ was disqualified after making a wrong move that lead her kite to tangle with Kajiya’s kite.

The freestyle competition was concluded at 3:10 in the afternoon followed by the course racing event which started at 4:25 pm.

Course Racing

Race director Eric Troostheide together with the Mexican crew had difficulties setting up the course because of the strong current but eventually managed to overcome the situation. Two races were held during the day which concluded at exactly 6:00 in the evening.

Once again, Sean Farley (Mexico, North) won both races in an exceptional performance so far. North racer Charles Deleau of France performed equally well despite finishing third in the second race. Countryman Bruno Sroka (Takoon) managed to inch his way up this time to finish third in the first race despite lacking some symphony with his equipment. In the second race, Sami Gali (Spain, Best) starting almost at the end of the pack finished second after controlling the rest of his opponent at the course of the race to gain upwind.

The mandatory skippers meeting for the third day is set at 9:00 am with first possible start at 9:30 am for the start of the freestyle doubles and the conclusion of the course racing event.

The 2008 PKRA World Tour in Mexico is proudly sponsored by Movistar Telefonica, Red Bull Sports, Riviera Maya Tourism and the Tourism Board of Mexico.

Freestyle results:

Men:

1. Kevin Langeree (Netherlands, Naish)
2. Aaron Hadlow (UK, Flexifoil)
3. Youri Zoon (Netherlands, Slingshot)

Women:

1. Bruna Kajiya (Brazil, Best)
2. Gisela Pulido (Spain, Slingshot)
3. Susi Mai (Germany, Cabrinha)

Race results:

Men Race 1:

1. Sean Farley (Mexico, North)
2. Charles Deleau (France, North)
3. Bruno Sroka (France, Takoon)

Men Race 2:

1. Sean Farley (Mexico, North)
2. Sami Gali (Spain, Best)
3. Charles Deleau (France, North)

Women Race 1:

1. Johara Sykes-Davis (UK, Flexifoil)
2. Angela Peral (Spain, North)
3. Susi Mai (Germany, Cabrinha)

Women Race 2:

1. Steph Bridge (UK, North)
2. Angela Peral (Spain, North)
3. Raquel Arroyo (Mexico, Naish)

For more information please visit or contact:
http://www.kiteworldtour.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Day 2 - PKRA 2008 Mexico - Movistar Kiteboard World Cup

Postby Toby » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:22 pm

looks like another close year between Kevin and Aaron!

And good to read Youri is back! Wishing him all the best that his knees keeps standing the pressure!

Would be good to have at least 3 good guys fighting for it to keep it more interesting for this year!

And impressive racing from Shawn!

Return to “Kitesurfing”