Forum for kitesurfers
mv
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Who has given up the TT for strapless

Postby mv » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:01 pm

Last year I hurt my back, not sure how, and I have been unable to ride like I used to, i.e. big air and freestyle. Since I am a kitesurfing addict and cannot quit I found that riding my strapless skim board or surf board does not hurt my back as much, old age really sucks some times. I am getting an MRI next week and hopefully the doc will be able to fix me up.

What has happened in the mean time is that I have really started to like riding strapless boards. Today I started on my skim board and switched to my TT for about 15 minutes and then went right back to the skim. The TT just seems so boring if I can not jump. I also like the feeling of being able to move my feet around the board, ride waves, and jibe. The skim board is really nice as it is so agile and works well in the ankle to knee high waves we get most of the time. I find that I really only want to ride strapless now.

Has anyone else gone through this change as well? I know from reading the posts on this forum that there are a lot of kiters out there on strapless surf boards but how many of you have ditched the TT and straps all together and only ride strapless?

biggins
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Who has given up the TT for strapless

Postby biggins » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:25 pm

MV,

Hope your back is ok bro....You know I'm a pure skimmer!!! It keeps it challenging without having to do something you know your body shouldn't be doing...i.e. kiteloops, handlepasses, etc.

When I would switch back and forth from skim to twin I was always amazed at how slow the twin felt...felt like I was dragging a bucket behind me. Main thing is the skim is fun in low AND high winds, super challenging tricks can be done in low winds, and at low altitudes so not as much of a risk of getting hurt for the older guys, but still keeps it interesting.

Yep, love the skims! Another point is NO maintenance and easy travel. And a bigger range than a twin as you can move your feet around for more or less edging etc. I'm with ya brother.

skims ROCK!

j

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all

Postby scklandl » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:52 pm

get yourself a WAKESKATE, youll get some of the old TT feel but still strapless. You'll be able to ride faster, more powered and in choppier conditions. You can carve hard again AND pull off more tech tricks than on a skim. Now dont lose the skim, just add in a skate and youll have even more variety!

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:14 pm

I've pretty much given up my TT for directionals. I still use the straps on the directional for the most part, but I have a lot more foot/heel movement than I did on the TT. The directional is just more fun to ride.

joeag
Medium Poster

Postby joeag » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:36 pm

I gave up my TT right after I learned to kite. Too hard on the medial (inside) area of my knees. After a session I would feel like the insides of my knees were on fire. Talking to a couple "experts" including some docs, the stance on a TT is just too hard on the knees for me. Switched to a directional with fins and no more problems/aches and pains.

Started riding skims/surfboards strapped and strapless. I got into kiting from a surf background (30 years of surfing) so I found that I was enjoying the directional (and strapless) feeling more anyway.

I know I will probably never launch huge airs and will definitely not be doing the tricks, but I am having fun!

seano
Medium Poster

Postby seano » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:22 pm

Couple of years ago i wrecked my ankle - no ligament damage, but pulled the joint apart, lost most of the fluid in the joint.

& I guess I'm not getting any younger at 42Y.O.

The cause of the ankle injury was from repetitive abuse in straps - tt & surfboard.

I ditched the tt straight away after that injury.

A few years earlier I had started out unstrapped on the surfboard & then progressed to straps.
Once I had stuffed my ankle, it meant I had to ride strapless - I was surprised how much more kite/surf skills I gained from the limitations of riding strapless on days when I would previously ridden strapped.

Now the ankle is healed to only about 60% mobility of what it was.

I only ever use straps now if the conditions are really windy/choppy & even then I prefer using only one front strap.

What I learnt from my whole ankle-saga was that when kiting waves on surfboards with a back footstrap it's very easy to over-extend & overload your ankle - there's alot of forces at play on your back foot. On a good re-entry you are extending & pushing your hardest while the wave is focussing all it's energy pushing you back - meanwhile the kite is pulling your ankle in the strap.

I tried a tt for the first time in 2 years the other day - I could never go back to that sinking/edging/powered style, kite/jumps are irrelevant when you are riding waves.

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:18 am

I never liked the feel of the ride on a TT. I prefer the ride I get from a directional and have always had more fun on them. Besides, I always knew they would come back in style and that I would be cool again :wink:

PhysioRol
Medium Poster

Postby PhysioRol » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:11 am

Gotta love the skim. Still go back to the twin though if its windy enough to jump.

K3rM1t
Frequent Poster
Gear: North

Postby K3rM1t » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:15 am

I switched to directionals initially for the light wind, but found I loved the feel of them as it just 'made sense' to my surfing mind. I love riding strapless, but put the straps back on figuring I just didn't have enough time on the water each session to chase the board each time I lost it. A few weeks ago, I rode strapless again and damn if that isn't the most fun! Some boards just come alive when you can move your feet around to the ideal locations. Straps are probably great on a 5'9" or smaller since not matter what your feet will be close to the ideal location. On big or fat boards, it's SO nice to move your feet.

I've got to get my hands on a skim!

mv
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mv » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:42 am

Thanks for all of the replies. It is nice to know there are others that feel the same way I do. It seems that the only thing that gets any attention is freestyle when we all know that strapless in the waves is where it is at :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”