cometa
Rare Poster
Style: freestyle
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Litewind boards

Postby cometa » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:36 pm

What's your favorite lightwind board? I'm 5'11" and 195. Have tried the Spleene 159 and it works great for going upwind, but I also want something for maneuverability,carving, and jumping-still in the lightwind category. And I need something smaller to fit in the travel bag.

deltawake
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Litewind boards

Postby deltawake » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:59 pm

I kinda misread your post!! I had a LW Tsunami 137. It was a great lightwind board. More user friendly than those giant door style boards. After about a 140 I go to a skim or a surfboard for real lightwind. At your weight if you're an aggressive rider I would look at other brands. I loved the Tsunami 137 ( i'm the same size as you) and the board just didn't hold up. No customer support from LIghtwave.
Just my .02 based on personal experience.
Last edited by deltawake on Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legrill83
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sandy Hook
Favorite Beaches: Delray, Whale harbor, LBI, Boca Grande, Hatteras
Gear: Wainman/Mystic/RRD

Postby legrill83 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:35 pm

07 Skywalker 135x47.5 works well for me in the light stuff. :thumb: Good maneuverability.

Also very light and not too long making it easy for travel

just do it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush Varial-X, Airush Apex
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby just do it » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:49 am

With dimensions of 140-47 the Spleene RIP MAX would be a great choice for what you want. It gets going as early as the Door but has more freestyle potential. On the Spleene website you can find a test of the UK Kitesurf Magazine in which they confirmed that they could ride the RIP MAX in 10knts with a 10m Hybrid Kite and still felt comfortable in 30knts too. It was also one of the first tests I saw where a product had no cons. :thumb:
www.spleene.com

mixed
Rare Poster
Local Beach: 4 Mile Beach, Port Douglas, QLD, Au
Favorite Beaches: Blue Lagoon, Lizard Island, QLD, Au
Eagle isle, QLD, Au
Spot X (Knobs hard), Au
Undine, QLD, Au
Style: wakestyle, wakeskate.
Gear: F-one bandit 13 (08)
F-one bandit 9 (08)
Airush Flow 10 (08)

m8 ss 131x39
LiquidForce impluse41 wakeskate
Brand Affiliation: Windswell Kitesurfing Port Douglas
Shout-outs to Matty and Andrew. www.m8kites.com

Postby mixed » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:26 am

I've found the M8 super lightwind Stomp (135x46) to be the most fun light wind board i've used, it probably isn't the "lightest wind" board out there but that fact that you can still do tricks when it's just too light to use your small board and you don't want the slow turning of a big kite is a big bonus to me.

unfortunaly M8 don't export boards outside australia yet so this info is probably usless to 99% of the readers.

check it out anyway ( http://m8kite.com/?a=17 )

Ted B
Frequent Poster

Postby Ted B » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:52 pm

I also love the RIP Max last year I used the session 141 and the 138 rip plus as my lite wind boards but since 99% of my riding is in the ocean the Rip max works insanely well for me and replaces both of them.. I am 225 6'2" when my normal 138 wake board will not even plane the 140 screams upwind and I can do all my freestyle tricks as well as wave ride the smaller waves we usually have in the summer here on the eastcoast. Side by side with the flight deck and the Glide the Rip Max is way more efficiante than either board and works much earlier upwind..

naishkiter10882
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: napeague, ny

Postby naishkiter10882 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:54 pm

Jimmy lewis glide or whatver the JL light wind board is called

singlemalt
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Many

Postby singlemalt » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:15 pm

Shape has everything to do with lightwind boards, unfortunately there isn't one shape that does everything. The Spleene Door series is probably the best out there for low end and going upwind but it's meant to do just that. The Spleene Session series are a smaller version of the door with fins in all four corners. They go upwind really well and also keep a bit of the fun factor. The RipMax is a great option for having fun when the wind is light but the outline is similar to a traditional kiteboard. The upwind-ability won't be as good as the Door or Session but you have to sacrifice something to get the fun factor. Same idea with the Dimitri Pro 135x47.5. The board works great and is alot of fun to ride but doesn't charge upwind like the parabolic shape of the Door/Session boards.
The Crazyfly Cruiser series do a good job of finding a happy medium. I ride the Cruiser 145x48 and while it looks like a coffee table, it actually rides really smooth. They also make a 145x44 that looks like alot of fun.
Figure out what you want out of a lightwind board and go from there. Hope this helps :thumb:

gbgreen59
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbgreen59 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:59 pm

The EXT KO from G2 kiteboards works pretty well for light wind. It is 143 x 48 and looks surprisingly like the Nobile EXT. Only problem is that there is only one in existance.
2008_06220002.JPG

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:29 pm

I've seen several different lightwind boards, and the Aggression Super Phatty which I own seems to fit the bill you requested. I'll try different boards that I like, but any time people get on the Super Phatty they are impressed. Great low end, but you can ride it powered as well. Order it with 1.75 fins for a little more grip in higher wind and landings. ;)

Return to “Kitesurfing”