Forum for kitesurfers
surfsky
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

freestyle fish technique????

Postby surfsky » Thu May 14, 2009 9:10 am

hey all..... i just got a north freestyle fish and had a go in some smallish waves... problem is when i went for a big bottom turn it would spin out ..same when doing a reo off the top... ive been riding a 6' semi gun and its perfect for the above.... is it the board or is there a special technique for these boards...im a seasoned surfer and can ride all types of boards but this one seems to have no bite...or am i pushing it too hard.....what's the go with these freestyle fishes
cheers
tj

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: freestyle fish technique????

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu May 14, 2009 10:59 am

surfsky wrote:hey all..... i just got a north freestyle fish and had a go in some smallish waves... problem is when i went for a big bottom turn it would spin out ..same when doing a reo off the top... ive been riding a 6' semi gun and its perfect for the above.... is it the board or is there a special technique for these boards...im a seasoned surfer and can ride all types of boards but this one seems to have no bite...or am i pushing it too hard.....what's the go with these freestyle fishes
cheers
tj
I cant tell for sure, and have only tried that board one time... So not really experience about that very board.

BUT, those who uses a freestyle fish is usually for very small waves and playing around, and/or quite light conditions - so it might be that you "push" the board too much, as it is NOT a board for being really powered or fast, at least not in the cutback off the top because of its width :-?

Havent heard other complain about it though :wink:

Are you riding with rear foot IN the strap, or just in front of ?
As the rear strap could be too far aft maybe, if strapped ? Just an idea...

Kindly, Peter Frank

surfsky
Rare Poster

Postby surfsky » Thu May 14, 2009 12:02 pm

hey pete...i was riding it in the straps which puts your foot right at the back of the board...i thought this too, as my rear foot is over the rear fin and i normally ride with my foot just behind the front fins
..it seems to me id be better riding strapless and putting my rear foot further forward....why then is the rear strap so far back???
tj

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu May 14, 2009 12:46 pm

I knew I'd seen a good review of it somewhere.

http://www.southcentralkiteboarders.com ... efish.html

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu May 14, 2009 1:03 pm

Taken from the link :
The downsides as requested on kiteforum.com:
Well the down sides are really all the trade offs with going from twin tip to directional, or not having a larger line driven wave board. It cannot take heavy surf or high speed with wave driven bottom turns, it will spin out under such conditions. over 4 foot its just like a cork, get a wave board like the North Kontact 2009.
Which could explain your experiences Surfsky.

But still an awesome allround board according to the link :thumb:

hectortarifa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Arte Vida, Tarifa
Favorite Beaches: Windy ones....thanks
Style: waves
Gear: North Evo´s, Freestyle fish, Jaime pro M, surfboard 6'0

Postby hectortarifa » Thu May 14, 2009 3:37 pm

I have 2008 5´0 and 2009 5´3
2008: nice board on small mushy waves and light winds... i change the fins for a TFC´S and works better, really loose on the fins but i like it for 360´s... i cut the hooks too, they where always on the middle... and when you need them couldnt reach them...or hit them hard... bit heavy for strapples but ok to learn on it... i broke it the first week doing some strapples small jumps.... i fix it and reinforce it and now its imposible to break... even jumping high....

2009: not as good... the edges are more hard so less loose, i change the rear fin and its working better but dont love it....actually im selling it for 300€ like new.... its a ok board for light wind and learning strapples riding... dont spect much more.... you can find better small surfboards on the market but not so strong construction... like this one, that looks better solid built than the 08...i jumped few times and landed not that nice...
If you come to Tarifa can try them at Surf Center Arte Vida...

Im trying now tuflite boards with glued pads and straps... will post my opinion soon...

surfsky
Rare Poster

Postby surfsky » Fri May 15, 2009 9:49 pm

cheers guys
do ya surf em off your front or back foot??? im a heavy back foot surfer which might be the problem

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Sun May 17, 2009 5:51 pm

Maybe put some bigger fins on it. When riding a fish in bigger waves need to be softer on your edges is it a thruster or four fin? Dont try to throw out your tail when smacking the lip just hit it.

Johnt
Rare Poster

Postby Johnt » Mon May 18, 2009 3:39 am

The rails at the tail area look too soft.
Also you need to ride the turns off your back foot -if you do them off your front foot, because of the rocker, the tail lifts out of the water with less fin catching and hence it slips out.
My 2 cents worth.

Jan:)
Frequent Poster

Postby Jan:) » Tue May 19, 2009 9:30 am

Not going into details, but whatever you do, don't use it with straps.
It just doesn't work well with straps.

Return to “Kitesurfing”