Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Fin vertical or angled? Why?

Forum for everyone who is into racing and speeding on kites.

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'

Fin vertical or angled? Why?

Postby Wawando » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:06 am

Hi,

I have been waiting for the vertical fins tendency to be "the standard" but it seems angled fins is still the option for some racers/brands.
Can anyone help me understanding why?
My bet on straight fins is:
1) Either you have several boards or you will want to change fin size/design. With angled fins, any change in fin size will break the ballance upwind and, even more, downwind. Does this make sense?
2) Riding with angled board might be a advantage upwind, and in that case it makes sense to use angled fins. But doesn't angled fins create instability when riding fast downwind?

Can anyone with kitesurf racing experience help?

I have little experience kitesurf racing, my race addiction comes from several years of windsurf formula racing.

See you!

ELLINAS
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Fin vertical or angled? Why?

Postby ELLINAS » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:06 pm

Wawando,

My personall opinion is that the more angle you have the better it is for light wind (6- 12 knots max)
The stronger the wind the straighter fins you need-so you have more controll & speed at high winds .
But NOT totally straight ones.
I dont believe there is ONE solution. You have to choose wizely - depending on the conditions (also water condition-wave chop or flat).
Personally i am 72 kilos -1.78 and i like to use 22-25 cm angled front and 15cm back untill 15 knots - for sure.
The point is if you have the physicall condition to support angled-big fins with your legs !!!
Its... pain to race 3 or 4 races in a day with big fins so maybe a bit smaller ones is better to take the most out of them cause you will race a bit more comfortable.
My personall view...

regards
Aris Evdos

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Fin vertical or angled? Why?

Postby gbleck » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:18 pm

No toe in.

Return to “Kiteracer”