Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

To Strap or not to Strap?

Forum for kitesurfers
prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

To Strap or not to Strap?

Postby prayfawind27 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:48 am

I've had my first strapless and surfboard session today, i must admit it's very liberating and challenging not be be bound by those straps and i love the feel of the surfboard. I'm pretty much done with flat water, Kiteboarding for me exist in the waves, my goal is to give up the Twin Tip and go surfboard full time. Should i be going strapless my very first time? any advice to help me achieve my goals?

lukeskiteboarding
Medium Poster
Style: Surf / Freestyle

Re: To Strap or not to Strap?

Postby lukeskiteboarding » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:27 am

Strapless is the way. Stay out of the straps and you will become a better kitesurfer. It is not harder to ride strapless. No straps=better foot position=style
Keep them around if it is really gusty. Straps are nice when its very windy with big gusts. It is nice to have a board with the inserts so you can go either way.

mobettah
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: FB
Favorite Beaches: Cape Haterras
Style: Go Big!
Gear: Naish Boxer II's - C kites baby!

Postby mobettah » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:16 am

Ditto on the strapless route. Started with a surfboard in 2008 and have never used straps. Not saying they are bad but I agree going strapless has made me a better kiter. Straps are necessary when the waves get big although we seldom get large waves around here in Ontario unless there is a big storm and miserable weather!

There are some guys who ride surfboards with straps because they think they can get bigger air with them.

Have a friend that once he went strapless, rides that way most of the time.

pdkite
Frequent Poster
Style: balls to the wall. don't hold back
Gear: 2006 Airush Lift 10m and 12m
2007 Liquid Force Recoil 130 x 39

Postby pdkite » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:13 am

strapless fo sho

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:40 am

Both ways have their advantages and disanvantages and it is nice to go strapless when ever you can and the conditions are right but in certain conditions it can be very limiting.

KOOK
Medium Poster
Style: wave strapless or wake
Gear: f1 kites
trax
wave strapless polyester boards

Postby KOOK » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:43 am

go for freedom
go strapless
strapped on is so uncool to do and to watch

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:09 am

prayfawind27 wrote:I've had my first strapless and surfboard session today, i must admit it's very liberating and challenging not be be bound by those straps and i love the feel of the surfboard. I'm pretty much done with flat water, Kiteboarding for me exist in the waves, my goal is to give up the Twin Tip and go surfboard full time. Should i be going strapless my very first time? any advice to help me achieve my goals?
"my very first time?" you ask ?

But you just wrote that you had your first session strapless ?

Assume you mean if you should go strapless when learning the surfboard basics, and yes - a good idea to learn the balance and jibe and "get to know a surfboard" inside out, strapless.

It is easier than strapped almost (the jibe is wayyyy easier), so no problems here.

When you try to ride waves, it could be much more difficult though, when new - so here you can just wait and see how it goes.

If no problem, you can learn strapless.

IF you feel unfomfortable and roll around in the water more than good, go strapped.

Strapped has many advantages in small waves, and big waves.
Small waves because there is often chop outside, which is a :x strapless.
Big waves because there is often chop on the wavefaces, when going high speed down the face - if really windy (and at most of our spots, wind is needed for big waves unfortunately).

If you are at a spot with good clean swell, straps are not needed at all, but if you have very changing different conditions, straps can really give you a benefit in terms of upwind ability and general performance :thumb:

But go out in small conditions (clean conditions) or flat water, and learn to handle and jibe the board, strapless.

After that, you can always see what you want to do in the long run - and of course give strapped a try later, so you can see how this works too (and make some high jumps if you like that - but most of us like waveriding so much more, that jumping is almost a "thing of the past" you hardly ever think about - but just once in a while it is fun to just boost high and hang with total silence up there 8) )

Your conditions can be quite important, for what to choose.

Personally, in small waves I like strapless, especially if the wind is really sideshore.
If it goes more onshore (and usually more chop too), I prefer straps.

In clean swell, particulary with flat big waves, I definitely only want to ride strapless, no doubt.

If windy, I most often go strapped in smaller waves, for the speed and spray - as you dont have much "glide" anyway in small waves.
When waves get really big and steep, straps can also give advantages and new possibilities.
OR, you can go strapless for the "sport" of it, eventhough you might "swim" a lot - many options :P

When strapped in low wind particulary, or waves with little power, you most often ride in the front strap only.
As the rear foot is placed in front of the rear strap, for glide and it feels good.

But the front strap is the "important" one, if you want to have control in all conditions, and when it is placed in the correct power point of the board, you never have to move it :thumb:

Most important - dont listen to those saying you should do "this OR that" as a definitive answer, as this makes no sense at all :o

My recommendations :D

Kindly, Peter Frank

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style

Postby prayfawind27 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:25 pm

:thumb: :mosh: Thanks gents! i'm so amped up about the whole thing it's crazy, wave riding on a twin tip is sick so i know with a surfboard it's crazy, i know it's going to take allot of patients, time and practice and i'm ready for the challenge.Can't wait to be hacking,slashing and riding those waves, making it point to not even bring my Twin Tip to beach.

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:26 pm

I've been on directionals for less than a year. For me, I like the freedom of no straps. Coming from a surfing backround, it feels much more natural (I never keep my feet in the same place when surfing). Also, as mentioned, transitions/jibes are easier. I only use straps when necessary(really gusty/choppy). I've also tried many directionals made by kite companies. I found that surfboards with a touch less rocker work the best(and cheaper). Lastly, I sold my t.t's since I never use them anymore(plus gave me more cash to order a fish for light wind :D ). Good luck

olinozanussi
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Figueira da Foz
Style: mainly wave
Gear: tt, mut & surfboards for waves + home made converted raceboard
old naish x4, old waroo+ eclipse kima 6 & 9!

Postby olinozanussi » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:47 pm

I use a long front strap (using the biggest distance available between screws) and no back strap.
I also come from surfing background. I hate my feet always in the same place.
with this setup you can move your font foot a bit and the back one is completely free, you can still pull with your front foot , jump a bit but won't loose the board so much, its also easier to gibe.
AG

Return to “Kitesurfing”