Forum for kitesurfers
crazy Horse
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Race/long distance WTF ?!

Postby crazy Horse » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:13 am

I can understand the idea of kitecross but could some of you explain me emotions and sense of racing/long distance?!

Yo lets start on my super, hiper pro race board, that was even unseen by the shpaer ;) and i will kick your asses going 3 deggres better upwind and 4 knots faster, then the rest........uuuu nobody crossed their lines, pitty, maybe next time.

or

Yeah, come on let's go for 50km, 25 each tack and then laying for 2days, craying about "broken" legs.

*For speed i have no words :(

I can hardlu understand that it's made for amateurs and older guys, but shouldn't they chose other disicipline like sailing, witch is much more safer for them?
Because the young guys, ok they do it only for titles or money, shame.

There are some sports that are freestyle sports: skateboard, skate, snowboard and 99,9 of people don't even think about racing.

In the beginning i thought kite is suhch a sport, butu now a days i don't know if i should laugh or cry sometimes?
Hope it's a matter of time and we will forget about it and only few people will stay into

Waiting for your opinions...

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: RACE/long distance WTF ?!

Postby ronnie » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:17 am

crazy Horse wrote:I can understand the idea of kitecross but could some of you explain me emotions and sense of racing/long distance?!

Yo lets start on my super, hiper pro race board, that was even unseen by the shpaer ;) and i will kick your asses going 3 deggres better upwind and 4 knots faster, then the rest........uuuu nobody crossed their lines, pitty, maybe next time.

or

Yeah, come on let's go for 50km, 25 each tack and then laying for 2days, craying about "broken" legs.

I can hardlu understand that it's made for amateurs and older guys, but shouldn't they chose other disicipline like sailing, witch is much more safer for them?

There are some sports that are freestyle sports: skateboard, skate, snowboard and 99,9 of people don't even think about racing.

In the beginning i thought kite is suhch a sport, butu now a days i don't know if i should laugh or cry sometimes?
Hope it's a matter of time and we will forget about it and only few people will stay into

kakanala
Frequent Poster

Re: RACE/long distance WTF ?!

Postby kakanala » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:07 pm

LOL !!! Classic!!!

Crazy Horse:

crazy Horse
Rare Poster

Re: Race/long distance WTF ?!

Postby crazy Horse » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:16 pm

So you mean we should be very proud of that because of race kitesurfing is closer to Olympics, that's the real OMG!

I prefer that it stays like skateboard or surfing no Olimpics for so many yeras and anyway milions of people more doing it. Unfortunately you can say, that SUP is a kind of Surfing race, but i don't even want to think and talk
about it.

ktouhey
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I fly a lot.
Style: waves
Gear: Naish kites & boards, O'neill wetsuits.
Brand Affiliation: Naish, O'neill - Canada Team Rider

Postby ktouhey » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:40 pm

crazy Horse wrote:I can understand the idea of kitecross but could some of you explain me emotions and sense of racing/long distance?!

or

hahaha... "is that a fish you're surfing in your picture? yup... not a performance thruster shortboard. why even bother? "
Kinda the same as saying that.

Dude racing is fun. it's competitve and gets adrenaline going. sure there's lots of gear tech stuff, but there's a lot of physical and mental skill involved too. Give it a shot.

It's about being better than the other guy, and theres no subjective element to it... . If you're a competitive person then that is rewarding. for what that is worth.

Personally I'm more in to wakestyle and wave, but racing is actually a lot of fun and I'm keen to get better and better.

crazy Horse
Rare Poster

Postby crazy Horse » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:09 am

ktouhey wrote:hahaha... "is that a fish you're surfing in your picture? yup... not a performance thruster shortboard. why even bother? "
Kinda the same as saying that.
O.T. Some better pics for you ;)

Ok, i was racing in Windsurf IFCA Europeans and Worlds in youths, later few years at Formula WS, but when i switch to kite, becaues of (...) i thought that racing is over and thats the sport for rest of my life. Finally, after 10 years people discover that you can go as far on kite until your legs are death, WOW and that you can go upwind pretty good and pretty fast, WOW!
Then hero Bruno Sroka switch from WS to KS racing, because its new and there are new, easier chances for earning money, WOW!

P.S. So go more into race, there will be more free waves :P

marshall10488
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Flyboards

Postby marshall10488 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:31 pm

well i got into kiting because it is expresionist, i don't have to ride like evryone else so if i want to do freestyle, freeride, wave riding or racing i can! I think you will find that course racing is way more tecnical then freestyle, since most of the work goes in designing yur own board yes you can go out and buy a production one but you will find that you can design your own board much better if you just read and calculate. lots of technical knowlege in racing.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:05 pm

Do what you want to do.
I have my preferences, too, but there is not much point in complaining about what style others like.....

Racing is good for one thing, no matter what -making kites and boards work better.
Freestyle and cruising around is fun, but non-race kiteboards are pretty pathetic in upwind ability.
So maybe something can be learned from the races even if you don't race yourself...
This is how sports improve.
For example, some people might hate wakestyle, but building boards that are stable and also strong enough to hit sliders, benefits everybody....

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:53 pm

Hey, I've seen kids around here with big long skate boards. I assume they are faster and more stable than the traditional shorter boards, maybe good for downhill speed runs. The point is racing is everywhere, ya can't fight it. Pick yer poison :) Adding new discipline to sports promotes innovation, it's evolution of sport that keeps you coming back. If they hadn't invented the big bertha driver most amateur golfers would have given up golf long ago :)

crazy Horse
Rare Poster

Postby crazy Horse » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:48 am

So you are all very happy, that sponsors and some parents will push kids to go for racing, because of the olimpics that are "closer" because of race?

We got such 2 kids, one of them pretty good at freestyle, he started in KPWT Marocco in race for the first time and was 4th, WOW! Dad is so proud about the poor kid.

I wish we have freestyle discipilne at the olimpics or none.

Hoped we will have bigger discussion, but i can see that all racers are trainning?

Return to “Kitesurfing”