Forum for kitesurfers
wouterb
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Rescue boat do's and don'ts

Postby wouterb » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:12 am

I'm working on planning a pratice session to instruct our local rescue-squat on how to deal with a kitesurfer in need.
Both local kiters and rescue-dudes are interested. A while ago they pulled out a kiter and when the lifeguard unhooked the still attached bar he got pulled overboard. Nothing serious as the leash was still attached, but it somewhat illustrates the problem.

Are there any standard do's and don'ts that we can use in this session? maybe some common used signals or procedures?
Can anyone suplly me with some theoretical information (written or digital) before we dive into a 'trail and error' mission?

thnx

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Rescue boat do's and don'ts

Postby Toby » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:18 am

very good idea to instruct rescue boats on how to handle kites.

I think the FKA (Florida Kite Association) did instructions for rescue people...and I assume also for their boat crews. Get in touch with Rick Iossi (RickI on this forum, pm him).

Maybe something for every location with rescue boats to avoid problems before to bad things happen. Maybe we can publish it on here and then users can take it to national and local forums.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:00 pm

It is important for kiteboarders to work with lifeguards/rangers/lifesaving personnel. Some kiting leaders have done this for a long time worldwide. Still, there is frequently considerable turnover in the rescue squads, in some areas each year. This means kiting orientations should be provided regularly to local rescue squads if they are up for it. It is best that the orientation be performed by folks thoroughly familiar with both kiting and rescue procedures, like a good school/instructor. Just because an approach makes sense, doesn't mean it is a good choice or is the best approach. Local experience is key.

A guide was prepared a while back for both rescue staff and kiteboarders with some ideas for things to look for in assessing whether a kiter needs rescue, including hand signals for the kiter if he thinks he doesn't need rescue and other related information.

There is also a link to a downloadable Powerpoint presentation of ideas for kiteboarder rescue given to lifeguards at the USLA National conference in Cocoa Beach, FL in 2008 at the bottom of the page.

IT IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED THAT THIS PRESENTATION BE ACCOMPANIED BY HANDS ON ORIENTATION BY WELL SKILLED AND EXPERIENCED KITEBOARDERS/INSTRUCTORS WHO ARE VERY FAMILIAR WITH RESCUE TECHNIQUES.

IT IS POSSIBLE TO BE INJURED OR CAUSE INJURY WHILE PERFORMING SUCH RESCUES PARTICULARLY IF UNDERTAKEN IMPROPERLY.

viewtopic.php?f=131&t=2300710

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:24 pm

In addition to the link above and Powerpoint presentation there is another post dealing with this subject at: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2354895&p=576942&hi ... rd#p576942

Also, rescue personnel at Exmouth in the UK put together a short write up on an approach at:
http://lifeguarding.wordpress.com/2008/ ... -sequence/

wouterb
Medium Poster

Postby wouterb » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:47 pm

Thanx Rick, :thumb:
I read your post carefully and downed the PPS/PPT.

I have to translate it all to dutch (no prob.) but I think it's a good starting point for the workshop.

reading the stuff, a layout of the session-to-be-held is started forming

1- Introduction

2- Theoretical kite instruction (on the beach/spot)
giving rescue personnel a feeling with the materials.
Naming types of kites, parts and functions.
Handling, landing and securing kites and so on.

3- Reading kite(r)s
What's happening on the water, recognising problems from taking a break/sorting things out.
Hand signals

4- Rescue in progress
Hands on rescue practice. based on the supplied PPT.

All rescue squads here use RIBs, so I'll convert the story to fit their equipment.

A question about 'Hand signals': Is there an international standard for them?
'Landing' (padding ontop of your head) and 'distess' (waving your arm(s)) are well known and used.
Others like 'i'm ok' (fingers of both hands touch overhead or fingers of one hand on top of the head or ...) are not universal.
any advice?

wouterb
Medium Poster

Postby wouterb » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:07 pm

oops, :oops:
Just found:
viewforum.php?f=131

I'll start digging there, and get back if questions remain.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:57 pm

Your outline looks good. During the practical on the beach, it is good to allow them to gain a first hand feel for the power of a small kite, under controlled circumstances. We've done this at times with two stations, one with a trainer kite with instructor aid and another with a larger LEI kite on short lines or just a 4 or 5 m kite. You don't want to get anyone injured but under controlled circumstances you want them to gain some appreciate for the power of kites and in particularly assisting in their landing and securing the kite properly immediately after. Understanding the dynamics and getting a feel for landing and securing a kite, the signal exchange, are good things to get across. Instilling a strong respect for lines under tension and the harm they are capable of particularly with a powered kite attach is important.

It is a set of ideas largely developed for subtropical and temperate waters. When I was preparing the PPT I was fairly concerned about considerations for rescue in cold water/hypothermic environment. I was assured that the folks attending the USLA seminar for the most part worked in warmer conditions. Panicked and/or fatigued individuals present special problems particularly if a kite is present still needing to be disabled. Hypothermia fogged perceptions and impaired physical abilities put even more demands on things.

I originally broke it down into; a. a kiter that is able to secure his kite on his own and pass it aboard the vessel, b. a kiter that is conscious but unable for whatever reason to secure his kite passing the task on to the rescuers to deal with the kite as rapidly as possible while moving on to the victim. c. the kiter is unconscious. Each of these scenarios place different demands, knowledge and skill requirements on the rescuers. High wind and waves makes things only worse for all concerned potentially. The kite is secondary as long as it doesn't pose a threat to others. Cutting the kite free as safely as possible for both the kiter who may be wrapped up and the rescuer should be an early consideration in the more extreme circumstances described. The best scenario is when the kite packs down himself and passes the gear aboard. We can't always count on that to happen however. Each case can be different but it pays to discuss some of the more common scenarios and even practice credible rescues under controlled circumstances. It goes without saying, two or more well trained rescuers in the craft can make a big difference in the safety, reliability and over all success of rescues.

It is good you are spending time on things to look for in a self rescuing kiter. Regular exchange of hand signals between guys on shore contemplating rescue and the kiter are great, as long as everyone knows what they mean, can readily see each other. The rescuer needs to still consider other factors, such as how well the kiter is progressing vs. daylight vs. weather changes vs. adverse water conditions, etc.. He may choose to launch a preemptive rescue anyway if in his judgment it is best to do so.

Emphasizing care with regard to lines, which may be submerged and the propellers or impellers on a PWC is KEY. Approaching from the correct direction to avoid submerged lines, allowing for current, wind and wave drift, having hook knives ready to hand to clear fouled propellers should be highlighted. RIBS are nice with all that extra space and stability.

We need a universal set of hand signals in kiting, tried to move things in that direction eight years ago with: viewtopic.php?f=131&t=2300710 there is a link to still more signals in there. Many are far from universal unfortunately.

Good luck with your project!

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

katrine1000
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kegnæs
Style: cruisin'
Gear: Board: north, paris 129
Kites: LF envy 6 & 8, havoc 12,

Postby katrine1000 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:09 pm

you can take an example from the guys here in hurgahda egypt at colona watersports.
the rescue crew is excellent and when theyre in action they are quick and super efficient and do it in very few steps.
1. grab the kite, deflate it
2. give the kiter a signal to unhook, etc
3. pull in the lines,
4. go upwind to get board
5. pull in kiter
BOOM done and ur on your way back to the beach.

but then again... what do i know.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:27 pm

That is part of the approach described in the PPT presentation. In flat warm water, close to shore, observers, two very experienced radio dispatched rescue craft in contact with observers on shore that do these sort of rescues all year long, it is lot easier.

What about variations like: the kiter is unconscious, failing or injured, waves running, hypothermic conditions, well offshore, adverse current, tangled and being pulled by the kite, lines go into the prop or impeller and you have only done this perhaps once or twice before in addition to the orientation as a non-kiter, it can be more complicated. Hence all the extra detail and scenarios. Shift this to rescue personnel in the North Sea off Denmark struggling in 25 to 35 kts. from a strong fall cold front, real cold air/water, 1 to 2 m seas, nasty current with a disabled kiter. See how a kite behaves in those kind of conditions as you try to bring it aboard, can be real challenging. Still easy .. boom? Maybe, maybe not. Pays to anticipate and prepare as best you can.

Those rescue mats on PWC add a lot of benefit for recovery operations particularly for disabled kiters. Still some motivated, skilled rescuers from a RIB should be able to get it done too. I assume your rescue crews in Holland will be prepared to send a swimmer into the water with appropriate gear? If not, it could complicate things in some types of rescues.

Return to “Kitesurfing”