PeterP
Medium Poster
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: Sales Manager Airush Kiteboarding
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Goods kites for 7-8 knots??

Postby PeterP » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:58 pm

Pretty much any 12m kite flown properly on long lines - a raceboard or free raceboard with proper fins will smoke up wind in 7 or more knots - we've had races where kites are barely staying in the sky and as soon as we get going apparent wind gets you upwind in no time.

Pretty trippy

I think the raceboards are going to open up the realm of lightwind kiting - mowing back and forth is only fun for so long - if you can charge upwind and beat your mates a whole new world opens up.

Airush has just made two free-race boards which I have been testing - The Sectors - they go unbelievably well in light wind and can be chucked around like an oversized surfboard without the traditional leg-burn of full-blown raceboards.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby frankm1960 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:01 am

Silver_surfer wrote:
Just curious what your fin set up looks like and if the board is any good in 2 or 2 ft choppy water.
Looks like you have to switch your feet when you turn, just like on a windsurfer.

I don't see those boards around here so I'm kinda curious, I kite in light winds a lot.
The Advance raceboard 2009 has 2x25 asimmetrical fins, the handling in choppy conditions in very good, no problem even in downwind high speed, this is the best board I have found to go upwind and in moderate downwind degees (lasco-traverso) but not very good in straight downwind (i don't know the english word, in italian we call it "poppa") as the board is too narrow.
The new version 2010 will be larger and quadrifin, I've tried some proto's this winter and for sure it will be better when going straight downwind and better upwind but probably will loose some speed at traverso (90°), but a long work trimming fins-set will be done as the new board will arrive (beginning of april) in order to get the best compromise between speed and upwind.

Of course you have to jibe and switch feet when you change direction, all the raceboard are made this way, no way to seriously race with twintip boards even with big twintips like Flydoors.

About the kite (Foil vs. pump) I can say that I often train with a friend that has a Flysurfer speed3 19, his kite has the advantage to stay in the sky easily with 6 knots instead of mine that requires 7 knots but over this limit (7-8 knots) my Kaiman 15 makes better angle upwind.
As in Italy the races never starts under 8-9 knots I prefer a LEI kite, but if your goal is to lower the lowend as much as possible take seriously in consideration a Speed 19.
Hey thanks for posting this information :) I like the idea of having a "light" wind board that still works well in chop and higher winds. I won't have to run to the beach to grab a regular TT when the winds pickup, unlike my huge TT :) The only thing I don't really like is the big long fins. I'm going to wait for further development before I chop my windsurf board in half though :)

oliver vlc
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Valencia and La Manga, Spain.
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa with West wind.
Style: old-school

Postby oliver vlc » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:59 pm

Thanks, for the answers.

In my zone, I have seen fly perfectly in 7-8 knots (you can have stop the kite in the edge of the window) :

Rhino 09 16 m (my kite)
Airush Lithium 15 m
Flysurfer 19 m
Bandit dos 16 m
Rhino 20 m
Ozone Zephyr 17m

I want to know more kites that fly very good in 7-8 knots, because I want have alternatives to encourage to my friends to practise race with me when the wind is < 11 knots (many days and many hours in my zone spring-summer)

The race board is fundamental for kite race in 7-8 knots, but I know that many kites for your weight no can fly in <10 knots. This is the reason to ask for kites that fly good in 7-8 knots.

Regards

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:09 pm

oliver vlc wrote:Thanks, for the answers.

In my zone, I have seen fly perfectly in 7-8 knots (you can have stop the kite in the edge of the window) :

Rhino 09 16 m (my kite)
Airush Lithium 15 m
Flysurfer 19 m
Bandit dos 16 m
Rhino 20 m
Ozone Zephyr 17m

I want to know more kites that fly very good in 7-8 knots, because I want have alternatives to encourage to my friends to practise race with me when the wind is < 11 knots (many days and many hours in my zone spring-summer)

The race board is fundamental for kite race in 7-8 knots, but I know that many kites for your weight no can fly in <10 knots. This is the reason to ask for kites that fly good in 7-8 knots.

Regards
Have you looked into Peter Lynn venom kites (foil)? I've seen a couple of those around here and they're fantastic in the light winds. They'll stay in the air in 6kts and they have auto zenith, you can let go of the bar and use both hands to put the board on your feet. You wipe out and the kite stays in the air if you let go of the bar.

oliver vlc
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Valencia and La Manga, Spain.
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa with West wind.
Style: old-school

Postby oliver vlc » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:34 pm

Here in Spain there is few ones Peter Linn, i think that alone I have seen one of 10 meters.
Thank you for the info.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:59 pm

frankm1960 wrote:
oliver vlc wrote:Thanks, for the answers.

Rhino 09 16 m (my kite)
Airush Lithium 15 m
Flysurfer 19 m
Bandit dos 16 m
Rhino 20 m
Ozone Zephyr 17m

Regards
Have you looked into Peter Lynn venom kites (foil)? I've seen a couple of those around here and they're fantastic in the light winds. They'll stay in the air in 6kts and they have auto zenith, you can let go of the bar and use both hands to put the board on your feet. You wipe out and the kite stays in the air if you let go of the bar.
PL kites are truly awful in light winds, they only work well in 15 knots plus!

AdamKoch
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Where I'm at... At the time I guess?
Favorite Beaches: Where there is wind and I happen to be.
Style: You tell me?
Gear: Ozone Edge, Aguera CR custom, Da Kine accessories, Team Fluid fins

Postby AdamKoch » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:26 pm

The new wind average minimum for kite course racing at th North American Continentals was 4 knots. That's average not lull. In literally 5 knots of wind (consider current here) my numbers are in the 15 knot range upwind (bow down) and 17-20 knots off the wind (bow up). (note that these are hard data numbers not my opinion). That's with the large Aguera board and a 17meter Zephyr with 25 meter lines. Now this does not mean that you are always moving... A pocket of zero knots is simple. Nothing works.
It requiers more patience and skill in under 10 knots then at 15+ knots. With the new race gear I'm just as warn out on under 10 knots then in 15+. With the zepher on the race board I get loaded up really quickly and thus overpowered. Which means my board is crazy efficient. When I used to ride the north LTD I was comfortable on the huge zepher in the rated wind range. My new board breaks all the rules from the past.... That's all I have personally experienced in that department to date.

AK

ELLINAS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ELLINAS » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:50 am

AdamKoch wrote:The new wind average minimum for kite course racing at th North American Continentals was 4 knots. That's average not lull. In literally 5 knots of wind (consider current here) my numbers are in the 15 knot range upwind (bow down) and 17-20 knots off the wind (bow up). (note that these are hard data numbers not my opinion). That's with the large Aguera board and a 17meter Zephyr with 25 meter lines. Now this does not mean that you are always moving... A pocket of zero knots is simple. Nothing works.
It requiers more patience and skill in under 10 knots then at 15+ knots. With the new race gear I'm just as warn out on under 10 knots then in 15+. With the zepher on the race board I get loaded up really quickly and thus overpowered. Which means my board is crazy efficient. When I used to ride the north LTD I was comfortable on the huge zepher in the rated wind range. My new board breaks all the rules from the past.... That's all I have personally experienced in that department to date.

AK
Hi Adam,

So you are talking about the new Aguera board (rode it 1 week ago) . Very impresive & light. Specially the white fins. No angle at all & handmade !! I like that.

Aris Evdos

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:24 am

AdamKoch wrote:The new wind average minimum for kite course racing at th North American Continentals was 4 knots. That's average not lull. In literally 5 knots of wind (consider current here) my numbers are in the 15 knot range upwind (bow down) and 17-20 knots off the wind (bow up). (note that these are hard data numbers not my opinion). That's with the large Aguera board and a 17meter Zephyr with 25 meter lines. Now this does not mean that you are always moving... A pocket of zero knots is simple. Nothing works.

AK
Those GPS figures are even better than I was expecting. It shows a lot of potential for the gear you are using for freeride, but the only problem I see is getting the kite relaunched. May not be important for racing, but to transfer the progress to freeride gear, people will want to be able to relaunch in maybe 6 knots, using the board, or 8 knots without it. Still the big Aguera board looks good for paddling in on.

Return to “Kitesurfing”