Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Airush Monaro V2

Forum for kitesurfers
toober
Rare Poster
Local Beach: best rights in california, with great left sandbars!
Favorite Beaches: now why would i go and do a thing like that?
Style: barrel riding
Gear: twinfin surfboards, skim for flat, tow quad for heavy waves and maybe some loopies
Brand Affiliation: Pleskunas
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Airush Monaro V2

Postby toober » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:13 pm

Hey there questioners

Here is what I have found with riding and helping tune the Monaro for Airush.

These boards are high performance racing machines, they take time to master, just because you have a fast board does not mean you will win races. It is very important to learn how to handle your race board so that you can get around the course at top speed and not go over the handlebars or blow up on the downwind.

The 22 and 18 cm fins sets have been coming standard with the Monaro, Putting the larger in front will help you point higher but will be harder to control. Putting the larger in back will be better for control but you will lose some VMG upwind. The width of the board has proved to be negligible, wider is better! Ideally you are riding the fins not the board, the board is just there for you to stand on while maneuvering or to help you through light wind spots.

It takes awhile to learn the ins and outs of what is going on with these boards, your body weight, wind strength, and skill all correlate with what size fins you can use. Although the 22 and 18 are almost big enough for me at 135 pounds, for larger riders they may have to kite size or even fin size up, and Airush is making more fins, PM me if you have any questions or concerns.

oh and hopefully this works, here is a GPS track of a training session in SF with Koch, Wasson, and Heineken, this was when we were still developing (we still are!) and the board was only marginally slower then their custom boards. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/28320718

hopefully it works.

CB

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:14 pm

Katja Roose hugging a V2 Monaro after winning the Seat World Cup at Sylt.

Does that mean she used a production V2 for the racing?
Attachments
Bild%206.png
Bild%206.png (533.68 KiB) Viewed 2321 times

pouch
Medium Poster
Local Beach: all around France
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer

Postby pouch » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:45 pm

I tougth that Katja was riding with woody cookie boards... :nono:

PeterP
Medium Poster
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: Sales Manager Airush Kiteboarding

Postby PeterP » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:33 pm

Looks like Airush Rolf Van der Vlugt got 2nd behind Bruno in the mens section of Euro champs.

Interesting as they are both avid speed sailors (dutch record holders?). Haven't really seen any other speedsailors tearing it up on the race-course and been wondering why not?

Guess the Monaro is pretty competitive then......

pouch
Medium Poster
Local Beach: all around France
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer

Postby pouch » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:26 pm

Monaro + katja should be competitive, caroline too

last time I was racing with Bruno and Caroline (women 2nd place). Caroline manage to get the first place in front of bruno...

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbleck » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:33 pm

Perhaps a dumb question but what is the bottom coating on the airush boards? They have that splotchy black and white finsih. Same as on some of the prototype roots shaped north RLT2010 boards. Is it gellcoat or pain over carbon sanded smooth?

JMS86
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby JMS86 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:58 am

It looks like they have been playing around with the wide boards a bit.
they just posted this link up on their blog.

http://www.airush.com/blog/inside-the-w ... revolution

FL Kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Jetty, Ft. Pierce, FL USA
Favorite Beaches: South Jetty, Ft. Pierce, FL USA
Anne's Beach, Islamorada, FL USA
Style: Freeriding
Gear: |
Cabrinha: '09 16m XBOW / GK: '08 12m & 9m Trix / Eclipse: '08 14m Thruster
|
2009 Nobile XTR 143x48, T5 137x42 / 2007 Litewave 179

Postby FL Kiteboarder » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:51 pm

The Sector (60?) and the Monaro share a similar rocker (pretty much flat in the tail)
with progressively wider tails and more parallel outlines.

Intermediate width tail in the Sector enhances control and improves the boards speed on a reach.
The Monaro V2’s ultra wide tail optimizes the board for upwind.

In addition, the Monaro V2 has a full carbon construction, which increases the stiffness.
Outward canted G-10 fins are designed for reaching, also available are upwind oriented fins -
(Get a customized fin set up for your style of riding)
Anyone have the dimensions of the Monaro V2 vs. the Sector 52 & 60?

It appears the Monaro V2 may be a carbon version of the Sector 60 with an ultrawide tail.
( I realize I am oversimplifying here, but seeking additional clarity)

Marc
Cabrinha - XBOW '09 16m / GK - Trix '08 12m & 9m / Eclipse -Thruster '08 14m - Nano '09 11m
Kiteboarding Videos: Feat. Nobile, Mystic, GK, Litewave, Flyboards, Ozone, Naish, Cabrinha, & More

PeterP
Medium Poster
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: Sales Manager Airush Kiteboarding

Postby PeterP » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:49 pm

Monaro is 181cm x 60 and Sector i 172x60cm - see http://www.airush.com/2010/products/board_sector.html

The Monaro is quite different in design and feel - it's an outright racer with warts and all - the Sector is a much more forgiving ride which primarily compromises upwind perfromance.......The Sector still outperforms any surfboard or TT by a mile upwind - but the Monaro does the same to the Sector....it's bloddy addictive when you get into it....

The brushed carbon look finish on Monaro is basically a "no-finish" as they just sand it down and leave out the finish-coat to save weight. This has been done in windsurf boards for some time - you save 5-8% weight.

jt737
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Bulcock Beach
Maroocydore
Gear: RPM

Postby jt737 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:19 pm

Thanks for great info. As we have little to no racing here yet in Australia, would a Monaro or Sector 52 or 60 be a better all round ride to learn on, cruise and progress being 80 kg?
I have ridden a Sector 60 for just a few occasions, would prefer to ride a board in 15-25 kits mostly than just light wind.

Return to “Kitesurfing”