Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New Board Race 1 fin

Forum for kitesurfers
holden
Medium Poster

test no3

Postby holden » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:30 am

board ist very well balanced now. the front straps are 5 cm further back. unfortunately i stopped gps tracking unintentionally, so, again, no good data.

again, i experienced the problem of not being able to pass all pressure given by the kite (speed3 19) onto the board. the back fins tend to give in when pointing too much upwind. not sure about the reason but i am pretty sure it is just that the back fins are too small (22cm each). i will try bigger ones the next time. 32cm should be enough.

sealing of centreboard box stayed in place this time.

h.

holden
Medium Poster

Re: New Board Race 1 fin

Postby holden » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:42 am

ready for the next test run.
Attachments
Photo 0143_resize.jpg
Photo 0143_resize.jpg (76.05 KiB) Viewed 2293 times

holden
Medium Poster

Postby holden » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:04 am

way better with bigger fins. the board is still not performing well enough, but it is getting there. i am optimistic that the concept will work. it sure makes fun already. went out with my 12 and was medium powered. unfortunately not enough to push it to the limit. i am at 50° now.

h.

pouch
Medium Poster
Local Beach: all around France
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby pouch » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:35 pm

50° upwind angle ?
or 50° tilting angle of the middle fin ?

holden
Medium Poster

Postby holden » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:05 pm

upwind angle. it is kind of strange. i don't know the reason yet. when i get going fast at around 55° upwind angle the board runs nicely, flat and ok fast. when i turn it further upwind it sometimes tilts windward side up and looses speed. i need to find out how to prevent that from happening. first thing i want to try is to mount some kind of bump under my straps to enhance my feets' angle when i am going upwind. plus i want to get rid of the third back strap. no need for that i think.

pouch
Medium Poster
Local Beach: all around France
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer

Postby pouch » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:41 pm

sounds great 50° is a pretty nice performance,

as far as I know, last year, Bruno Sroka was riding at 45° upwind

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:43 pm

holden wrote:upwind angle. it is kind of strange. i don't know the reason yet. when i get going fast at around 55° upwind angle the board runs nicely, flat and ok fast. when i turn it further upwind it sometimes tilts windward side up and looses speed. i need to find out how to prevent that from happening. first thing i want to try is to mount some kind of bump under my straps to enhance my feets' angle when i am going upwind. plus i want to get rid of the third back strap. no need for that i think.
I know the reason this is happening,

I used to race windsurf course board, the long ones.... when going up wind you had the center fin down, but in strong breeze you would get too much lateral force on the fin and it would tilt the board up on its edge to counter act this you would stand right over the centre fin but on the rail to keep weight on it but even then if you got a gust you would get pitched over.

to prevent it you could just reduce the area of the fin by pulling it up a little, but to be honest if you are getting 50 degrees then that is great already!

holden
Medium Poster

Postby holden » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:14 am

it is not only the angle, it is also the speed i am lacking. you can get these vmg values with a north ltd 2009 edging it a bit so you don't have to put all your weight on your back foot. it has to be better than that, right?

yesterday i had my final test run for this setup. i installed a rubber bump under each of the back straps to enhance board control. it helped. wind was solid, s3 12 dl well powered. waves were not too bad. this time i was able to go very well, board stayed flat on water, well balanced, load equally on both legs. as good as it gets. the board should have shown its best performance but vmg was not good enough. i mean, guys, there are two 32cm fins and a 36cm centreboard this should mean something.

but, i also had new findings. i was testing, again, all different positions for my centreboard and i had the strong feeling, that it creates a lot more drag than it is supposed to. when i put the centreboard all the way up, the board was fast. when extending the centreboard for about 10° it starts to create noticable drag. i think, what i feared in the begining came true. the turbulances of the centreboard get in the way of the back windward fin. that's just a guess, but i don't have another explanation for this.

this means: just one back fin. wish me luck!

h.

PeterP
Medium Poster
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: Sales Manager Airush Kiteboarding

Postby PeterP » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:19 pm

good luck

holden
Medium Poster