Big Bay, Cape Town
Style: cruising and jumping
Gear: Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Dehumidifiers

Postby North_Wind » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:21 am

Who knows about them or uses them?

Considering installing one in the garage to help with wetsuit drying in the winter months (brrrr ...). Also installing a shower in the garage (house is near beach) so will help with condensation.

Will it work or help? (I worry a bit as the garage door is slatted so there is no perfect seal to the outside) ...

Which are the best?

Or am I wasting my time and money?

BA

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Re: Dehumidifiers

Postby jakemoore » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:46 pm

I'm quite happy with my Whirlpool dehumidifier. When it runs it pulls 2-3 L of water a day. Yes more humid air gets in the garage but it definitely dries wet gear.

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ptraykovski » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:45 pm

well if you want to keep your basement dry so mold doesn't grow yes dehumidifiers are good. but no need to dry your entire basement to get your wetsuit dry.

I have been using these in the winter and find they work really well

http://www.amazon.com/Hangair-Wetsuit-D ... B0011G1F8S

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:48 pm

Dude, your worried about condensation and humidity, but taking a shower in that same space is no problem? You think its humid in there now, wait till you start showering in there!

You might want to rethink that, maybe move the shower outside? I installed an outdoor shower last year at the cottage, the inside shower is rarely used now, I mean like once or twice a month!

North_Wind
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Big Bay, Cape Town
Style: cruising and jumping
Gear: Duotone

Postby North_Wind » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:15 pm

Hah. "Southwestern Ontario"!

The place my cottage is at is one of the wettest-windiest weather stations in Europe. The wind blows so strong the trees grow sideways parallell to the ground. Water from an outdoor shower would blow sideways, not down.

Check out windstatistics for Thunder Bay (don't know if this is where you are at) http://www.windfinder.com/windstats/win ... er_bay.htm

Wind stats for Rhosneigr - http://www.windfinder.com/windstats/win ... valley.htm

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:27 pm

:idea: privacy fence/outdoor shower stall enclosure maybe could block the wind ;)
...soooo jealous of your wind by the way.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:16 pm

Yep jealous of the wind there as well, still though it is primarily a SW, I'm sure you can find sheltered areas around your house where you could install one. Trust me you'll love having it, I used Privacy Lattice as a surround, it works perfectly for our conditions, and regardless of the wind stats we still get those windy days, just not as many of them as you guys do.

Return to “Kitesurfing”