Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

door size reccomendations for big beginner?

Forum for kitesurfers
scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

door size reccomendations for big beginner?

Postby scklandl » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:41 pm

I got a friend who needs a door to get his 250 lbs ass outta the water. He can get up and ride for a little bit but is currently on a ancient wipika 178 or some nonsense so Im here shopping for him.

He's old, he's big, and he's pretty stiff so I dont really like the idea of putting him on a board any bigger than neccessary.

Please give me your feedback on the various door sizes.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50
Been thanked: 0

Re: door size reccomendations for big beginner?

Postby frankm1960 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:57 pm

My experience on light wind boards is that they are not that easy to ride compared to normal TT beginner boards. I'm not sure of could have learned to kite surf on those large flat light wind boards. They are very slippery at first. I don't think they're designed to learn on but they may have changed in the last year or so.

I learned on a large beginner TT (LF proof 151 x 42 roughly) and it was really quite easy, very forgiving. It's not a light wind machine but it was real easy to learn the basics.

So, based on my limited experience, I would recommend getting the largest beginner TT out there. If you can't find one of those then get a large light wind board.

I started 3 summers ago and those first few sessions are still fairly fresh in my mind.

Hope that helps.

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbleck » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:49 pm

Yea if the joints are a concern maybe something in a large round outline would be better. Something like a large slingshot SX or a mako wide. Not realy supper light boards I found the sx 155 to be a good beginer board. Makes a fun small wave tt also. :)

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:41 pm

I've been selling Spleene Doors for years. I'd recommend going with the 159x45. The Monster Door is a monster for 300 lb. people and is amazing for those people. Unlike the SS Glide, which has a very loose and slippery feel to it, the Door is shaped like a snowboard with 4 heelside fins. This gives it unbelievable upwind ability and the feeling of being on rails. (not slippery) These boards will get anyone riding upwind and is great for beginner thru advanced riders. If you are buying new and ride in choppier waters, get the "High Tech" series as the tips are cut different, eliminating any spray. It also has channels which helps control.

adrood
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Evros Greece
Style: Freeride Wave
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m kite and Core Riot XR 8m , Ocean rodeo rise 10m
F-one Fifty Pro, Ocean rodeo mako wide 40 , north freestyle fish

Postby adrood » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:45 pm

I personally have the F-one Fifty pro for lightwind. Of course i weight 180 lbs but the board will do for him all right. Its a very descent board , you can pop easy , it is also ok for chop not spraying.

I have the 150x45 but he might also get the 150x48 that will give him the ability to keep it as a light wind board. I also learned how to jump on this board. Pads are the best on the market on confort. You feel it like wearing shoes.

Check a bit on the net for pricing and models. You can find at ebay last years models new , at very cheap prices .

Bye
Chris

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:03 pm

Flydoor XL by Flyboards will do the job.

It feels smaller and has a smooth ride.

It has assymetrical flex, assymetrical outline and rounded tips.
Center weighted concave and plenty of flex in the right places.

As far as ease of use I have let the door to beginners having trouble and they get going with much more ease.

Go for a big size without doubt. This way the learner will need a bit less power and that makes everything easier. Being that the rider is 250 lbs it won't feel big or heavy.

Another great option is to see if you can find a Gorge Animal. It is a big ass twin tip made with volume like a surfboard. Strong concave etc. amazing low wind board for giants.

As far as surboards go a 6'6" Lost mayhem is a great funboard surfboard designed for big guys.
It had a very domed deck loads of volume and is very smooth and adgile for it's size.
Best in Aviso construction.

Morres
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Gaastra

Postby Morres » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:13 pm

screw door-boards. Use a skimboard instead, will give you more low-wind, and it's more fun too.

El Rudo
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Slufter NL, world
Gear: OR
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby El Rudo » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:18 am

Fly boards has some new big models that may be interesting for you friend. My respectable ass is 220lbs plus I do suit the rest of your friends description, and I ride Mako's, the 140 and King.
I acknowledge the question is on doors, but then again the Ocean Rodeo Mako King 165 * 45 is definitely worth checking as I feel it's way funner than doors.

PS I'm OR affiliated so don't take my word for it!

hudstur
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Delray Beach, Florida
Boca Raton, FL
Boynton Beach, FL
Lighthouse Point, FL
Favorite Beaches: Delray Beach, FL
Hood River, OR
Floras Lake, OR
Cape Hatteras, NC
Napeague, NY
Bahamas
Kauai, Hawaii
Canada, PEI & Georgian Bay
Traverse City, MI
La Ventana, Mexico
Cabarete, DR
Florida Keys
Style: Directional Waves, Freeride, Foilboard
Gear: OCEAN RODEO Duke 5’4”, OR Flites, FOne kites, SS Mixer 5’10”, Litewavedesigns Kick S.

Postby hudstur » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:16 pm

Definitely get the LIGHTWAVE WING 161 X 45, you will be amazed at the versatility of this board. Easy up on plane, lightweight, handles choppy waves excellent, and is an upwind beast. I am 230lbs. and ride the WING 153 x 45, and have ridden the Spleene Door and the Jimmy Lewis Flightdeck, but my first time on this board was amazing. It even goes toeside well.
Go to www.lightwavedesigns.com or call Lightwave Dave at 916.961.1117 for more info and tell him Hudson from Delray sent you.

Return to “Kitesurfing”