Forum for kitesurfers
ss73
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How to choose the right lenght surfboard

Postby ss73 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:44 pm

I'm looking at getting my first surfboard, and I seem to like the Naish Custom Fish, either the 5"8 or the 6"0.

I'm 185 lbs, and 6"2'.

Any suggestions?

JerseyPride
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sandy Hook to Kite Island
Style: powered
Brand Affiliation: consumer

Re: How to choose the right lenght surfboard

Postby JerseyPride » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:49 pm

why do you like it? have you tried it?

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:57 am

Choosing a board just from the length can be misleading. Width, thickness and overall shape are much more important.

I have had small 5'10''s and big 5'8''s (I weigh 65kg). You could be riding a 5'2'' fish shape in small waves/ light wind or a 7' gun in big waves/strong wind so what you want to use the board for is also very important.
Don't know the Naish boards but as a general rule a bigger board will be "harder" to use with straps (they require more up and down movement of the feet) whereas a smaller board will need more wind.

It's a fine balance and something very personnal. In any case it is better to choose a board too big than too small especially if you are new at it.

ss73
Rare Poster

Postby ss73 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:54 am

Thanks for your help.

I fugure I'll use the board for small waves and light wind.

The Naish boards seem to get very positive reviews, but am open to any suggestions. There are so many boards out thee to choose from...

I just don't want to get a board that I'll need to replace in a year from now.

jan_hou
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Penghu, Taiwan
Favorite Beaches: Penghu, Taiwan

Postby jan_hou » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:39 pm

ss73 wrote:I'm looking at getting my first surfboard, and I seem to like the Naish Custom Fish, either the 5"8 or the 6"0.

I'm 185 lbs, and 6"2'.

Any suggestions?
I had the same question as you about 3 months ago.
I am 154lb and 5'10" and later I bought a 5'7" Best surfboard because my friend wanted to sell it and it was a good price. Now I love it.

If you are choosing between the two, you should definitely choose 6'0 simply based on your weight and size.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:27 pm

something more than a Year ago, I was looking for a board too, luckly a friend of mine is a well expierienced wave kiter who I think has tried and stood on so many directional surfboards that he might have lost count himself :roll: , but he told me , not to go too small in the beginning.

At that moment there was a Naish strapped surf 6"1 in a sale out, he adviced it, because of its easyness, and forgiveness this board has, and really I improved fast, and with its volume and size, you can use it most of the time, also in harder wind. I have 1.77m and 80kg

You can use the board, without pressure in your lines, just let your kite drift with you , as you are surfing even small waves.

The footstraps on it, I only use the front one, with my backfoot I just balance the board so it is not too deep in the water front or back... the backone is only used to make the cutback and in some onhore wind/waves
This said...I would again advice you not to go too small in the beginning, everone is paying "learn" money and may/will buy an additional smaller board afterwards.

Good luck
Frank

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:55 pm

I think the correct formula is 7.2 times the length of the span of your left hand as measured between the tip of the thumb and the tip of the little finger when fully stretched. This works for me. I have a 6-foot surfboard based on a hand span of 10 inches..... Of course, if you are using a quad instead of a thruster, then you have to divide that by 1.0746.

:rollgrin:

loeuftok
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loeuftok » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:09 am

windrider is right but to be more accurate you have to include the square root of your feet length in the equation to define the width of the board...

BK
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: CABRINHA Rider and Representative

Postby BK » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:35 pm

Ideally, you want to try a variety of rides, either loaners from a shop, or your buddies, before making a decision. If that is not an option for you then you should just start with your best guess and start learning. It's not like you are course racing or going for the speed record, so just grab something and figure out how to make it work. With a decent breeze you can have fun on everything from a wakeskate to a skimboard to a full on surfboard. Those are totally different rides and it is all about getting to know the board and how it reacts to your input. Like the guys are alluding to, there is no magic formula. But there are some basic guidelines so just keep doing your research and make your best guess. Here are some buying tips for surfboards which will help you understand features and benefits of different tails, rails and fin systems: http://www.unitedboardsports.com/surfboard/tips
just be aware that a typical surfboard is not going to stand up to added forces that apply in kitesurfing.

Return to “Kitesurfing”