Forum for kitesurfers
breathe
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Higher jumps

Postby breathe » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:01 pm

I can jump around 3-5 meter jumps pretty easily, but I'm having some difficulty getting much higher. I've been told that it is just a matter of being well powered, decent speed, holding my edge and sending the kite... and letting the kite take me off the water as opposed to releasing the edge as the last moment to pop off the water. Anything I'm missing?

Also, I want to try to land with more lateral speed to have smoother landings but it feels that when I spot my landing and send the kite lower it is close to the edge of the window and i end up landing not directly downwind. not sure if that matters? Should I just do a downloop as I'm landing?

Thanks

AndrewJMcGee
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Napeuage, Shinnecock
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras Island, Montauk NY
Style: Twin tips, Naish Mutant
Gear: Ozone, Liquid force, Nobile, Naish

Re: Higher jumps

Postby AndrewJMcGee » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:21 pm

Being overpowered is the way. You can only go so high in certain conditions.
Have you ever been riding and felt a strong gust, and said to yourself dam if I send it right now I don't know how high Ill go, or what will happen? I have!!! Before I was jumping in those kind of winds I was scared. Not really of hurting myself, but of the unknown. Now I look for and jump in those conditions. I try to go as high as I can, and still haven't even scratched the surface.

Send it when your brain might be telling you NO don't do it!!!!

HJ11
Frequent Poster

Postby HJ11 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:29 pm

I disagree.
It's not riding in overpowered conditions that will make you jump high.
The correct trimt and a smaller kite will get you higher than jumping on a overpowerd big size kite.

JumpinJoe
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ft Myers Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ft myers Beach - Lanark St
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Kites- Flexifoil Hadlow Pro - Fuel
Board- Aggression - RRD
Mystic
Brand Affiliation: Getkiteboarding.com

Postby JumpinJoe » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:49 pm

I have seen this question asked a bunch of times, and I don't think what we tell you will help you one bit. I am sorry! You need to learn it by feeling the kite and learn what perfect timing is on your own.

I have buddies on the beach that I have tried to help and it never works. He is looking at me and he knows he isn't getting his timing right. He has been riding for a solid 2 years and still does not get it. He needs it to blow real hard to get up like 15ft. In that same wind I am getting up around 35 to 45+ ft easy.

Oh and even when he gets a 15ft jump its a mess when it happens. When I say a mess I think most of you know what I am talking about! Its almost embarrasing, I tell him he's chasing all the girls aways and to stop it. :o He laughs!

You need to find the timing and pop by doing it over and over till you get.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:44 pm

HJ11 wrote:I disagree.
It's not riding in overpowered conditions that will make you jump high.
The correct trimt and a smaller kite will get you higher than jumping on a overpowerd big size kite.
Very true HJ11 :thumb:

And you might also have to fly the kite a bit forward again when going up, and then a bit back (just "wave" it slightly), so you can pull it forward again for the landing - without getting it too low or too far out/down - this way you can land "smooth" and light, and with speed too :D

But the most important thing for going high, besides good technique, is more wind (and a smaller kite) 8)

Apart from that - I can only agree with JumpinJoe - that you can not "tell" anyone how to boost high - you have to learn it gradually, thats the only way :D

vindsportknut
Medium Poster

Postby vindsportknut » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:54 pm

This is a main issue to kiters on a certain level. The high jump.

1. An overpowered kite with good depower will for certain give you a high jump if you go max upwind, uses your jumping forces, and pull the bar in near max wind.
2. A smaller kite can give you a high jump if you manage to reach high speed before you send the kite and so on due to the common textbook.

Then you have the fear factor. It's always under-estimated. Boys can't feel fear. Cowards feel fear.

Well, as I mostly practice as a swimming teacher, I know that fear is the main issue. It has to be conquered the slow way. Every time you hurry beneath your own limits you slow your learning. On the other hand: If you stay to long on the level you master, you get bored and loses your motivation to go on. But you don't die suddenly from it. Fear keeps us alive (and fat).

Practice and adjusting your adrenaline level should be my best advice. Enjoy mastering your level of kiteboarding. As soon as someone makes up a standard book, telling us the levels of kiteboarding, we we looses our freedom to define our own level. I like to feel superior. In my definition. :thumb:

Well, my best advice is to stay in contact with yourself. High jumping is a question of fear and practice.

dksurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Nipissing, North Bay, ON, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Ontario Canada, PEI Canada
Hatteras, North Carolina
Cuba
Style: TT, SB and HF
Gear: 12, 9, 7 North Dice 2016
12 OR Flite 2016
12, 9 North Evo 2014
MHL Lift Foil

Postby dksurfer » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:36 am

High jumps are just a question of technique... that is all. Technique comes with practice. If you keep on trying you will figure out what works and what doesn't. It is very settled and I don't think you will find someone that will tell you 'how to', but bit by bit you will 'get it'!

recoprianto
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kitebeach, Maui
Favorite Beaches: Sherman Island, CA; La Ventana, Mexico; all of NE Brazil; Kite Beach, Maui
Style: Freeride
Gear: North Neo, North Dice, Custom Surf, North Team Series
Brand Affiliation: North USA team rider

Postby recoprianto » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:20 am

Technique and timing

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:59 am

vindsportknut wrote:
Then you have the fear factor. It's always under-estimated. Boys can't feel fear. Cowards feel fear.
that is silly.

..been a little hard on the "Karsk" lately?
:wink:

There are clearly ways to jump better. The guy is looking for specific hints on how to jump high.
Kind of like:
Go with speed and send the kite harder. Right before your go off the water edge hard, sheet in and hang tight. Depending on your kite...you might want to sheet in right as you take off or right before... Make sure you do not get pulled off your edge before you leave the water....speed, skill, power and control is key. If you have a kicker to go off, it will usually take you higher.

lenker
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Bulabog

Postby lenker » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:00 am

So you want to jump higher but your landings aren't smooth yet? Hmmmm....

Return to “Kitesurfing”