Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Yes, Put limits on width of Raceboards ASAP!

Forum for kitesurfers
FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Yes, Put limits on width of Raceboards ASAP!

Postby FredBGG » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:04 am

stuntc wrote:FredBGG,

Where in any of my posts does it mention anything about Jimmy Lewis?? I am the distributor for that brand, but any race boards that I make are my own, for myself and a few friends. Would be good for you to do a bit of research before assuming.

The point I was trying to make was two part. One, not to limit boards based on Fedex. Again if you had researched my posts my second point was agreeing with the "fundamental" reasons that Alex and Gebi posted.

However it is good to have you pushing to keep this "open". This will give us plenty of time to research as shapers and riders before a committee can make a ruling.

You are right I am pushing to keep this open.

How about this.

You can go ahead and have the committee closed class with smaller boards and an open class for any size boards

Garry
www.kiteracing.com
I don't know what you are getting all worked up about??????
I never made any refrence to you or Jimmy Lewis boards.

I simple suggested that having a freight sponsor to kiteracing would help reduce transport and travel costs which would make it financially easier for more people to participate.

"committee making a ruling" wow that sounds lovely.
The sport is young as can be tha last thing we need is bureaucracy and rulers....

Let the best boards win period!
If a 300lb rider with a big kite and a big board... let it be.

stuntc
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby stuntc » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:16 pm

The committee already exists, that's why we have a fin and line length rule. These are organized races, that means organized rules. I do agree with you 100% that it should not happen now. We should give it time, but it will happen. My current board is 185 x 75.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:52 am

Don't get me wrong. I understand that competitions need rules and organization.
I say keep things more open.

Today I worked with Shaquille O'Neal..... could you imagine a guy like him racing.
It would be an increadible sight.... but you are talking about special gear all the way down to line guage :thumb:

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:11 pm

The Olympic windsurfing seems to take place even if the wind drops below the 6 knot minimum.

Dont see anyone heavy in the 2008 final, but they do have a standard (big) board and sails.

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.

Postby Billy B. » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:18 pm

Just saw this thread, I am snowkite racer, I like to go fast but there is no way I could be competative with out a personal "superboard" from one of you guys, I have ridden race shapes from a bunch of shapers, and love the light wind option race boards provide, but just don't have the cash to keep up with the joneses, My buddy gets a board from Geb, then I have to get a boards from north, then my other buddy gets a board from Kafka, then I need to get one from who know who?, then Both my buddys get boards from alex a, then I need a new board also but the new north stuff is quard fin and Alex gives you quad or tri option.....Arghhhhh... All of my friends and I who win snowkite races want to come race on the water with the cool kids, but we cant even get a new board in the mail before it is obsolete.......Ohhh the humanity....

It would be cool if I knew I was racing the dude on the board, not just the board.....

Billy Bordy
Team Ozone

Mads Johansen
Rare Poster
Local Beach: SpotX
Style: Race

Postby Mads Johansen » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:23 am

noone is ready with standard jet :o
Attachments
IMAG0029.jpg

pouch
Medium Poster
Local Beach: all around France
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer

Postby pouch » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:44 pm

can you tell us more on your fin length ?

Mads Johansen
Rare Poster
Local Beach: SpotX
Style: Race

Postby Mads Johansen » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:15 pm

no still testing - 30 to 45 cm

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'

Postby Wawando » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:43 am

I agree, put limits, 70cm seems huge.
FredBGG wrote:...You still have not given an expanation as to why limiting boards size will attract more people to the spot?...
Because:
1) until then any board you buy today will be trash in 1 year.
2) what makes competition addictiveness is the feeling that the gear is not THE influence factor in the results, but the rider.

Can you name one open design sail class that is a great success in terms of rider mass across the globe? Even rally car racing has been "boxed".

There is lots to play around even with board and kite size limits. When should we define a limit? When the riders and the industry asks for it. :naughty:

I am not saying that all is good with the limit issue. But it is surelly a booster for adoption of the sport.

I am waiting for that time to come to kiterace to buy a kite race board. :naughty:

See you! :thumb:

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:13 pm

NO hell NO. sure if you make it 100cm same as windsurfing. If you put a 70cm rule on those guys back in the day they would have never been able to do what they are doing today.
I am sure tons of arguement been heard on this forum but I'm not going back to all that just casting my vote.

NO on limitations!!!!!!! you might need that 100cm whan you are racing in 4kts in 2016

Return to “Kitesurfing”