Style: twintip
Gear: cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Small radius toe-side turn

Postby RomanC » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:54 pm

Hello,

I am trying to improve my toe-side turns on a surf board (trying to get toe-side first, before trying switching feet on the surfboard). I finally managed to get a few in last session, but the problem is that I end up with very large radius turns and an almost stalled out kite. Essentially, I start brining the kite up and then start turning downwind. Once the board points down wind, I dive the kite to the other edge of the window. That pulls me downwind quite a bit and I complete the turn. However, the kite after the dive provides almost no thrust. The board starts to slow down and sink. I in order to get going, I have to fly the kite up and down a few times.

Should I bring the kite to 12 and then using the momentum of the board to carve the turn completely and then dive the kite from 12 to the edge of the window? Thanks.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Small radius toe-side turn

Postby BWD » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:09 pm

No, that sounds like the problem!

Sounds like you are running downwind under the kite until you have no power, then trying to make power and turn. This can result in stopping and restarting instead of carving.
The carve should be continuous.
Follow the kite:
send it back smoothly to the other side
without pausing overhead.
To prevent getting unwanted air, chase that kite: head downwind
unwrapping your body from toeside
and lean back (into normal stance) at the same time.
Keep some weight on that back foot.
Admire the arc of water shooting off your board as the kite pulls you around the carve....
Congratulations, your turn got faster and tighter.
Hope that helped, the key is follow the kite and keep the motion continuous....
practice makes perfect,
have fun!

RomanC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Redondo
Favorite Beaches: Port Hueneme, C-Street
Style: twintip
Gear: cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby RomanC » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:36 pm

Actually, I am going from normal stance into a toe-side stance. But I suppose the same should apply. Match the board direction change with the kite motion through the arc to the other side, right?
BWD wrote:No, that sounds like the problem!

Sounds like you are running downwind under the kite until you have no power, then trying to make power and turn. This can result in stopping and restarting instead of carving.
The carve should be continuous.
Follow the kite:
send it back smoothly to the other side
without pausing overhead.
To prevent getting unwanted air, chase that kite: head downwind
unwrapping your body from toeside
and lean back (into normal stance) at the same time.
Keep some weight on that back foot.
Admire the arc of water shooting off your board as the kite pulls you around the carve....
Congratulations, your turn got faster and tighter.
Hope that helped, the key is follow the kite and keep the motion continuous....
practice makes perfect,
have fun!

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:26 pm

That's funny that I thought you meant the opposite, when what you are really talking about is definitely a little harder at first....
But yeah, it should be similar, follow the kite, and speed is more your friend than otherwise.
I also find carving from regular to toe, I want to keep more power in the kite, since I don't ride as efficiently toeside. Also, helps to not overcommit to edging with your toes before boardspeed is back up and stance is stable, carve fast but don't keep the board angled too much (or point upwind too much) right after you get around, that's about all I can think of for further advice...

Return to “Kitesurfing”