mrmarchpane
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ijmuiden, Oostvoorne
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Board North Free Race ?

Postby mrmarchpane » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:49 am

I'm also thinking about this board as my second light wind board.

Do you thing it will be as good as raceboards in light wind? Or should I buy raceboard for that? I'm not really interested in race, but freeride in light wind ;)

Thanks for help.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:48 pm

mrmarchpane wrote:I'm also thinking about this board as my second light wind board.

Do you thing it will be as good as raceboards in light wind? Or should I buy raceboard for that? I'm not really interested in race, but freeride in light wind ;)

Thanks for help.
Then also try Airush Sector 60 I have one, and am very satified on how easy it is to manage it, no upperleg burning etc..

Frank

DvB
Rare Poster
Gear: Switch Nitro 5, 12 & 9

Postby DvB » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:25 pm

I wanted a Sector as an all purpose board, but after waiting for months for the local distributor to get their act together, I decided rather on a two board combo from North, the Free Race, and the Race Ltd 2011. The Free Race will be arriving tomorrow, and the Race Ltd hopefully in the next few weeks. I live and kite in predominantly light wind areas, high altitude inland, and the Seychelles. I've never owned or even ridden a directional before, apart from being an avid surfer when younger, so I won't be able to give any expert opinions or comparisons, but it is going to be an interesting exercise for me. My current light wind board is a Spleene Door 164, and I use both inflato's and foils, so I will be able to do back to back comparisons with all my gear and see what works best. I'll try my best to give some honest feedback from an average, joe public kiters point of view on these boards.

Here's hoping for some wind for this weekend!

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:22 pm

DvB wrote:I wanted a Sector as an all purpose board, but after waiting for months for the local distributor to get their act together, I decided rather on a two board combo from North, the Free Race, and the Race Ltd 2011. The Free Race will be arriving tomorrow, and the Race Ltd hopefully in the next few weeks. I live and kite in predominantly light wind areas, high altitude inland, and the Seychelles. I've never owned or even ridden a directional before, apart from being an avid surfer when younger, so I won't be able to give any expert opinions or comparisons, but it is going to be an interesting exercise for me. My current light wind board is a Spleene Door 164, and I use both inflato's and foils, so I will be able to do back to back comparisons with all my gear and see what works best. I'll try my best to give some honest feedback from an average, joe public kiters point of view on these boards.

Here's hoping for some wind for this weekend!
It wil lneed some time to adapt...especially the jibing...
Also I prefere a tube kite above the foilkite, reason..it is faster, you can use smaller kites and due to their fastness in sining...you create aparent wind in the kites, whcih goes pretty easy with thos race/freerace boards, due to the fact that you are not drifting sideways but only forward due to the long fins.

Just be carefull when you fall off the board and are readjusting it to start, not to hit against the fins, they are extremely sharp and will cut you instantly.
The same with taking the boards in your hand and walking over the beach with you kite in the air, you pay attention to your kite, and slowly the back of the board tilts more towards the ground, in the same moment you lift your foot upat the side of the board, ( as you are walking) and you hit the fin...Just a warning...I had these things...and can tell you these fins cut!

If you like lightwind, you will have a lot of fun, your jibes will improve, and yiou will cruise !
I do not say the boards do not work with foils...but you wil lneed a good depower foil for when the wind picks up.

I have a Ozone Zephyr 17m which is possible to fly from 8 knots till easy 15 knots...but it has a huge depower...and in lightwind it is faster...

I flew a 12m Ozone C4 on the freerace board in 10 knots ( me 82 kg) while the others were still flying 21m flysurfer ( Guy is 90kg) and Spleene X19 ( guy 80kg)...and had a blast, you could play with the kite..the others could not believe I was only on a 12m kite...

You will find out, my Airush is a funboard compared to the raceboards, so I hope yo will have a lot of fun with yours !!!

Good luck and good cruising!!

lobodomar
Frequent Poster

Postby lobodomar » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:20 am

Review please!!

How does it handle chop?
Nose-rocking?
Low-end compared to, say, a Sector 52?

Thanks

laroyboards
Rare Poster
Local Beach: mission beach san diego
Favorite Beaches: San Quintin Baja Mexico
Style: freeride
Gear: Wainman kites Best Kahona kites and my boards

Postby laroyboards » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:15 am

for what it is worth i have experience with both the sector 60 and the 52 first they both are very user friendly however the 60 is much better at lite wind and up wind i was a little let down with the 52 i thought it would be a lot smoother in chop it was not both boards are bounch in chop but with experience u can handle it i tell my friends just buy the 60 it is very easy to ride and because of the width fairly quick to learn to jibe turn the kite first and let it pull u most of the way thru the turn sennnd the kite up and switch your feet as for race boards they are better up wind and a little earlier to plain however much more difficult to master so if fun is your thing go for the 60 and try to get the 2011 it has slightly bigger fins and more straight down which alowes u to ride it flatter this is my opinion

laroyboards
Rare Poster
Local Beach: mission beach san diego
Favorite Beaches: San Quintin Baja Mexico
Style: freeride
Gear: Wainman kites Best Kahona kites and my boards

Postby laroyboards » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:30 am

north freerace board i made myself a board about a year ago very much like the new north and here is why i chosed that type of shape first it is loose not tracky i can easly jump it and it is awsome up wind last weekend in california i rode it in 10 to 12 mph with a 11.5 kahoona had no problem going uoop wind and was on the water with only other raceboards much larger however mine is 5foot 3 inches long by 20 inches wide but u need to weigh 150 to 170 to do well for larger people the sector 60 one very important fact to know about freerace boards is that u do not need a lot of power u just need a good up wind kite i use the kahoona nothing bigger than 11.5

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:22 am

Here's a video of it in action.

Rbgar
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: nude-
Style: Smooth
Gear: Everything
Brand Affiliation: Self sponsored team rider

Postby Rbgar » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:53 pm

I was looking at the North but being 220#'s thought the Sector 60 would be a better choice being a BulkyBoy :?:

Return to “Kitesurfing”