All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Fin Sizes on North LTD 69
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:28 pm 
Medium Poster

I just got a 2011 North LTD 69. I was surprised to get all three fins of the same length (40 cm). Every other board that I've seen with a three fin configuration (Mike Z, Royal, Underground, Nils, etc) has had the rear fin a few centimeters shorter (4 cm?). Any thoughts on this? Is this an oversight on the part of North, or could there be a good reason for having all three fins be the same length? Seems like the longer rear fin will make the board even harder to ride downwind than it already is...

BTW: on the bright side the fins seem pretty awesome for a production board, and the board feels great going upwind...

Cheers,

A.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Fin SIzes on North LTD 69
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:08 pm 
Medium Poster

Location: Hayle, UK. Sponsored by North, Ion, Freeriders. www.pastyadventures.co.uk
you can choose your fin size from North 42,40,38 whoever you brought it off should of asked you what you wanted? 40s alround is good if youre light in light winds, if its windy 18knts + recommend sticking something smaller in the back especially if choppy.
enjoy
:thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:56 pm 
Medium Poster

Why are the boards at the allowable limits 70cm and fins still 8 cm shorter than the max fin length
did somebody tried 50 cm fins? I guess that top rider already did, but still they stick to 42s, any tought on this ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:54 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

We have all tried the 50cm Fins. They work OK in the lightest wind range (5-6) knots, but as the wind increases it makes more sense to use a shorter fin.

We talk about being overpowered on too long fins. When the fin is too long for the given conditions it is very hard to control the board, and you will be slower.

--
Gunnar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:56 am 
Medium Poster

it makes sense, as soon as I increased my fin length wind range of my kites was changing drastically !

[ 5 posts ]