Favorite Beaches: Mesa Camp, graveyards exmouth
Style: Powered
Gear: Best
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Solo Landing Flysurfer P4 in higher winds: Tips Pleas

Postby eppenvanderaa » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:52 am

I live on the West Coast of Australia (Windy as hell) and love my Pyscho 8m for launch, relaunch, performance, hangtime, unhooked abilty, etc amazing piece of engineering... However I'm yet to find a suitable method for Solo landing in 20+ knots. I have no anchor points, nothing to fly it against, just wide, lonely beaches and me. The FDS, I'm sorry, but just makes a mess as it seems to drop, then hover forever about 2 metres off the ground, which allows it to spin a few times. If it just dropped down there would not be a problem. Any tips / suggestions. I don't go out in extreme winds and rarely go above 25 knots, but even in say 19-23 knots, really hard to backstall, so i have to let the fds kick in at the zenith? Much prefered the old warrior, throw the bar away method...(remember those?)

Help!!

ps What size speed 3 will take me from say 9 to 19 knots. (I'm 83 kg, ride tt and directionals).

voodoospirit
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: alps lakes, alps mountain snowkites

Re: Solo Landing Flysurfer P4 in higher winds: Tips Pleas

Postby voodoospirit » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:35 am

i weight 65/70kg, i use a speed3 15 dlx from 8 to 17/18 knots. (140/42 TT then 130/37 TT)

solo landing in high winds
- backstall (have to force on the rear lines, u might get lofted a bit in the top hand )it to the ground and QR on FLS/FDS. ( FDS is better when backstalled on ground, no twisting)
- edge of the window, near the ground and QR, th kite is low so shouldn t hover long.

i prefer to find someone if i can ( bystander, kite, whoever) to land it in "high winds" so i can get a clean landed kite but if i can t, i choose one of the methods above.

eppenvanderaa
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah

Postby eppenvanderaa » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:19 pm

Cheers mate. Yes I just have to be more committed to the back stall and hold it harder. Yeh you are right, if it is back-stalled then shouldn't hover.

Hey what's the speed 3 like? Move quick in air for 15m? I'm looking for a light wind machine, but don;'t want something too boring and slow if you know what I mean. How much diff is the speed 3 to the speed 2?

Cheers

Chris

voodoospirit
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: alps lakes, alps mountain snowkites

Postby voodoospirit » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:38 pm

less parked in the low end (1 knots difference), a tad less powerful , more nimble , easier to work (low end), better high end (overpowered at 15knt withthe speed²15, same at 20 with the S3), wayy more stable ( id say massive stability compared to the speed²), faster depower.

no regret at all , especially in my gusty winds where the speed² was a psychotic kite (alps inland lakes, alps snowkite)

eppenvanderaa
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah

Postby eppenvanderaa » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:30 am

I tried the method below in light wind, wouldn't recommend as it turns over and over sideways until ou are pointing it downwind - fds still relaunche the thing though - unbelievable. In high winds bigger probs I reckon.

- edge of the window, near the ground and QR, th

Also tried backstall then crossing back lines over and tethering to board in sand - worked well but only light winds.

The FDS is amazing how it works itself out, I tried everything to 'mess it up' and every time it flew again!

Hey after you've activated the fds and your're up at the kite, is there any tip on how you ay the kite back out for packing up, as I find if I'mnot careful I can get in a bit of a pickle/tangle - nothing big, no problem but would rather avoid.

discojuggernaut
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach - Sunset Cooridor
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Egypt, Waddell Creek, La Ventana, Hood River
Style: Freeride, big air, waveriding
Gear: 8m, 10m, 12m FS speed

Postby discojuggernaut » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:48 am

Best way to pack up is the recommend Flysurfer way:

- pull one tip upwind, fold tip and sand down, let rest of kite lay downwind
- pop the zippers/velcro to help the air get out
- wind up your lines
- do a half-hitch on the lines
- remove any dried seaweed, twigs from bridles
- lay the bridle on the kite
- pull the downwind tip to the upwind tip (like a sandwich), pick up the bar on the way
- put the bar on the end and start rolling up towards the center of the kite
- tuck any loose bridles in your sandwich on your way
- fold the rolled-up kite in half lengthwise when finished

DO NOT:

- pass the bar through the bridles
- let the bridles pass around or get behind the kite
- wind the lines all the way up to the mixer or the bridles
- remove the lines from the kite
- let any untucked bridles get snagged on anything

j z
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Montana, USA
Style: Hangin' on.
Gear: Flysurfer Psycho4 Deluxe.

Postby j z » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:12 am

I have the same issues with my p4 8m. I use the 5th line frequently on both my 8m and 12m kites. This led to the 5ht line bridles pulling out and on both kites and tearing my 12m. My kites are in Germany for repairs now. At least one kite will be covered under warranty, so no worries there. Has anyone else ripped out the 5th line bridles on a Flysurfer?
I used to think that landing the kites on the 5th line was not an issue, until they were damaged. My other method for solo landing is to fly to the edge of the wind window 9 or 3 o'clock, fully depower and pull in 2 lines to lay the kite out on its back side. I then release my bar and the 5th line. I run down to the kite and place my board on it to hold it down so I can open the zipper to deflate it. If I have to do it this way, of course there is nobody around and I am in the middle of a grassy Montana field with no hazards downwind.

Return to “Kitesurfing”